G-sync question? CSGO

SenorKiwi

Hello,

I was just wondering, if G-sync is enable it should always stay at the monitor's refresh rate speed? So if it isn't then g-sync isn't active?

I realised when I turned off Vertical sync in CSGO the fps went above 144hz, meaning that without this vertical sync the g-sync isn't on?

Or am I incorrect and I don't need vertical sync on as G-sync does it all?

Thanks,

Oli

GSync is only active at and below your monitor's refresh rate. If you go over your monitor's refresh rate, GSync will disable and either switch to VSync or just allow you to run at a higher frame rate than your monitor's refresh rate. 

Ideally, you want the game to run just below your monitor's refresh rate so that GSync is always active, but with CS:GO, it's hard to do that by adjusting game settings. What you can do is set an FPS cap at around 140FPS (assume your monitor is 144Hz) so that GSync won't disable. However, GSync can still result in some input latency (much better than VSync, typically) so many people just have it uncapped, so you're pretty much always over your monitor's refresh rate. 

For some reason, Nvidia seems to have removed the FPS cap settings from Nvidia Control Panel, so you'll either have to do it in game, or find a third party software solution. 

Nvidia has done a shockingly poor job of explaining and documenting GSync, so a lot of people don't understand that it's not a complete replacement of VSync, but instead can work along side it when needed. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

GSync is only active at and below your monitor's refresh rate. If you go over your monitor's refresh rate, GSync will disable and either switch to VSync or just allow you to run at a higher frame rate than your monitor's refresh rate. 

Ideally, you want the game to run just below your monitor's refresh rate so that GSync is always active, but with CS:GO, it's hard to do that by adjusting game settings. What you can do is set an FPS cap at around 140FPS (assume your monitor is 144Hz) so that GSync won't disable. However, GSync can still result in some input latency (much better than VSync, typically) so many people just have it uncapped, so you're pretty much always over your monitor's refresh rate. 

For some reason, Nvidia seems to have removed the FPS cap settings from Nvidia Control Panel, so you'll either have to do it in game, or find a third party software solution. 

Nvidia has done a shocking poor job of explaining and documenting GSync, so a lot of people don't understand that it's not a complete replacement of VSync, but instead can work along side it when needed. 

yeah there's settings in csgo for capping fps in console, no problems there. But what should I do about the v-sync? it says "wait for v-sync" either on, double buffered or triple? Should I turn this off or what? I mean after turning it off it did make the fps unlimited, although that's expected I guess if the v-sync was what was keeping the fps below the monitor refresh rate.

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

yeah there's settings in csgo for capping fps in console, no problems there. But what should I do about the v-sync? it says "wait for v-sync" either on, double buffered or triple? Should I turn this off or what? I mean after turning it off it did make the fps unlimited, although that's expected I guess if the v-sync was what was keeping the fps below the monitor refresh rate.

If you set a FPS cap, then turn VSync off as it's not going to be used. 

For twitch reaction shooters like CS:GO, I would advise having VSync off regardless, as it can cause input latency as it uses a frame buffer. Double and triple buffer would theoretically increase that latency. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For twitch reaction shooters like CS:GO, I would advise having VSync off regardless, as it can cause input latency as it uses a frame buffer. Double and triple buffer would theoretically increase that latency. 

alright, sounds good. Thanks for the help, hopefully the G-sync will stay enabled and work.

2 hours ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

alright, sounds good. Thanks for the help, hopefully the G-sync will stay enabled and work.

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Still don't think its working, tried capping the fps and I still feel it isn't smooth like it should be. Not sure what is wrong, it SHOULD just cap itself to 144hz although it isn;t.