"Stuck" keyboard key on notebook

SirTibio

Hello everyone. First of all I hope this is the right place, because I didn't see any other categories with hardware problems. But to the point. My problem is that my key on Eee PC1005p is kind of stuck, for example: whenever my notebook goes to sleep, it momentarily wakes up and 'types' the stuck key (which is by the way '9'). To fix it temporarily I discovered that I have to tap backspace and then I can type normally, apart from the said key.

I couldn't find anything similar to my case on Google, because most of cases were that either entire keyboard didn't work or key was physically stuck. In my case, the key physically is working (and there's nothing underneath to block it or interrupt pressing). Can it be a software issue or rather something with they keyboard itself? I'd be grateful for some ideas what I can do fix that. Cheers.

Some more info:

- notebook is 4 year old

- I'm using W7

- the key was nether hit nor dropped

- I was not smashing furiously the keys

If it only happens after the notebook wakes from sleep then it implies it is a software problem. What that problem could be i have no idea. Did you recently install any programs / drivers prior to this starting?

Not a single one. I use the notebook only as notepad and web browser. But if it might be software problem, I'll try reinstalling the OS. The notebook is pretty much bare bones in terms of software, just MS Office, antivirus and dictionaries.

Are you sure there is nothing physically under they key? Reinstalling your OS would be a worst case scenario, perhaps run an antivirus to check? Although i can't really see why a virus would cause this, but you never know. :/

I know it's sort of weird, but none of my problems with PC have 'logical' answers so I already got used to them :D I'm sure there's nothing under it. I can press it the same way as I can the other ones. And when I removed the key, everything seems to be in place, the mechanism "works". I thought I could try removing the case and check if there is something wrong with the circuit board, but I'm not sure if I could put it back together afterwards.

Don't remove the casing unless you feel confident enough to do so. Just so i am clear, does the key ever work? Say, if you shut down then boot up, will the '9' key work fine? Or does it never work? I can't really tell by your original post whether it only happens after sleep or if it only get's stuck after sleep.

Ok, sorry let me clarify. It is like this: when I wake system or start, the 9 key is constantly "pressed" e.g. when I see my login screen the 9's just keep being typed. The same when I leave some text editor open before sleep, it just keeps 'typing' 9's. But when I press the 9 key physically, nothing happens. The only key that stops this is the backspace. And as I mentioned when I leave the notebook with opened text editor and it goes to sleep automatically, it wakes up right away and 'types' 9.

Very strange. It depends on the laptop, but sometimes the keyboard is designed to be easily removed on its own without taking apart the case. Try looking up a repair manual and see if there are a couple of screws on the bottom of the computer that you need to take out so you can un-clip the keyboard. It might be a bad connection on the underside where the scissor leaf (or whatever its called) meets the PCB. I don't know a lot about laptop keyboards though.

I tried two new things. First I removed the keyboard (turned out it was easy to remove as Smurf Shoes said). Check the connector, treated it with clean cloth and reconnected. No change.

Second thing is that I tried to type this 9 in BIOS to see if it was only OS issue, but the 9 doesn't work there either.