CPU stuck at 800mhz

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

A sensor feeding a signal to your CPU is obviously not working.  Your testing shows that you need to disable BD PROCHOT in order for your CPU to run at its rated speed.  There must be a sensor somewhere, telling your CPU to throttle and it is sending this signal to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path.  When the CPU gets this signal, it immediately starts to thermal throttle.  Normally a CPU will only thermal throttle if it is running too hot but in this case, some other sensor on your board is requesting your CPU to throttle so that it reduces the overall power consumption and temperature of your laptop.

If you had direct access to the Asus engineer that designed your board, he would have no trouble explaining exactly what the problem is.  If you call the Asus help line, the person on the other end will have no idea what you are talking about.  They do not tell the people on the front lines working the phone about these sort of problems.  Easier to pretend that it is a Windows bug.  They will tell you to reinstall Windows, not to run third party software like ThrottleStop and have a good day.

Whatever was recently replaced on your motherboard did not fix the problem.  You can keep sending your laptop in for service and if they replace the entire motherboard, maybe this problem will be gone.  It is also possible that it is your power adapter that is sending this signal.  In that case, a new motherboard will not help.

I prefer simple solutions so I usually recommend just running ThrottleStop.  If you are still under warranty, you can try the service center again.

Something else I noticed is that the C0% reported by ThrottleStop during your test seems to indicate that you have a pile of crap running on your system.  When your system is idle and you are sitting at the desktop with only ThrottleStop running, what C0% is reported.  Does the Windows Task Manager show anything unusual running in the background?  The CPU in my laptop needs to spend less than 0.5% of the time, processing the various Windows background tasks.  

I3fiXhj.png

When a CPU is idle, individual cores should be spending over 98% of the time in one of the deep C States like C7.

1znPH4Q.png

So recently my laptop wouldn't turn on so i sent it for repairs and they told me they replaced the power management chip in the motherboard and something to do with an intel chipset (im not exactly sure on this one) and the laptop battery was damaged and had to be replaced (but in the mean time im using it without that battery while im waiting for the new battery to be delivered). So after a week i recently got it back and there it was running usual, but i realised that it was running really sluggishly and that it wouldn't boot as fast as it used to so i checked for issues with the cpu and found out that it was only running at 800mhz and not its usual 1.9ghz that the CPU is clocked at. I tried setting it to high-performance and balanced and to no avail it stayed at 800mhz. I did find a workaround to which i use Throttlestop and uncheck the BD PROCHOT which the cpu clock speed goes up to 1.9ghz. My issue now is that i do not know what the problem is and that i cant always rely on throttlestop. Is there a way i can fix this?

Laptop: Asus TP300LA

i3-4030U 1.9ghz

4gb Ram

CPU-Z.JPG

CPU-Z2.JPG

Throttlestop 1.JPG

Throttlestop 2.JPG

go to Power Options, Show additional plans, and select High performance 

1 minute ago, Ronnie76 said:

go to Power Options, Show additional plans, and select High performance 

I have tried all 3 power options power saver, Balanced and High performance.

I always run on High performance but it still stays on 800mhz

That is certainly not normal and a first-timer for me. Can you check whether or not you may have any BIOS updates? Also, you can check for the latest intel CPU driver update and seeing whether or not it fixes the issue.

Link to intel utility: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Did I help you with your problem? If so, give my comment a like and even mark it as the solution!

When you're taking the clock speed readings, is the CPU under load? It's probably just conserving power because it doesn't need to run at higher clocks. Run a cpu stress test and check the clock speeds while the CPU is working.  

13 minutes ago, shayan_doust said:

That is certainly not normal and a first-timer for me. Can you check whether or not you may have any BIOS updates? Also, you can check for the latest intel CPU driver update and seeing whether or not it fixes the issue.

Link to intel utility: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

The bios and all drivers are up to date ran the intel utility and all the drivers were the latest.

10 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

When you're taking the clock speed readings, is the CPU under load? It's probably just conserving power because it doesn't need to run at higher clocks. Run a cpu stress test and check the clock speeds while the CPU is working.  

I'll try running Intel burn test and I'll post screen shots

24 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Even under stress its still running at 800mhz. This is on high performance mode.

Stress test.png

BD PROCHOT stands for bi directional processor hot.  This is a signal path to your CPU.  A sensor on your motherboard or your battery or power adapter is sending a signal to your CPU which forces it to run at a reduced speed of 798 MHz.  If you use ThrottleStop and disable the BD PROCHOT signal path, these signals will be ignored and this will let your CPU run at its full rated speed.

Intel Burn Test (IBT) is an excessive load for a low power U series CPU like you have.  It is not a good way to test your processor.

Instead of that, use the ThrottleStop TS Bench test.  Only run a single thread of this test.  Check off BD PROCHOT while this test is running and see what your multiplier is and then uncheck BD PROCHOT while the test is running and see what your multiplier is.  This will confirm if a sensor is sending a throttling signal to your CPU.

18 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

BD PROCHOT stands for bi directional processor hot.  This is a signal path to your CPU.  A sensor on your motherboard or your battery or power adapter is sending a signal to your CPU which forces it to run at a reduced speed of 798 MHz.  If you use ThrottleStop and disable the BD PROCHOT signal path, these signals will be ignored and this will let your CPU run at its full rated speed.

Intel Burn Test (IBT) is an excessive load for a low power U series CPU like you have.  It is not a good way to test your processor.

Instead of that, use the ThrottleStop TS Bench test.  Only run a single thread of this test.  Check off BD PROCHOT while this test is running and see what your multiplier is and then uncheck BD PROCHOT while the test is running and see what your multiplier is.  This will confirm if a sensor is sending a throttling signal to your CPU.

Alright i tried that and here are the results. Enabled its at 8.00x and disabled is at 19.00x

Disabled.JPG

Enabled.JPG

12 hours ago, Ocali94 said:

So what does this mean?

make sure you quote him so he sees you said something. 

14 hours ago, unclewebb said:

How do I know if my pc sensor  is working?

A sensor feeding a signal to your CPU is obviously not working.  Your testing shows that you need to disable BD PROCHOT in order for your CPU to run at its rated speed.  There must be a sensor somewhere, telling your CPU to throttle and it is sending this signal to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path.  When the CPU gets this signal, it immediately starts to thermal throttle.  Normally a CPU will only thermal throttle if it is running too hot but in this case, some other sensor on your board is requesting your CPU to throttle so that it reduces the overall power consumption and temperature of your laptop.

If you had direct access to the Asus engineer that designed your board, he would have no trouble explaining exactly what the problem is.  If you call the Asus help line, the person on the other end will have no idea what you are talking about.  They do not tell the people on the front lines working the phone about these sort of problems.  Easier to pretend that it is a Windows bug.  They will tell you to reinstall Windows, not to run third party software like ThrottleStop and have a good day.

Whatever was recently replaced on your motherboard did not fix the problem.  You can keep sending your laptop in for service and if they replace the entire motherboard, maybe this problem will be gone.  It is also possible that it is your power adapter that is sending this signal.  In that case, a new motherboard will not help.

I prefer simple solutions so I usually recommend just running ThrottleStop.  If you are still under warranty, you can try the service center again.

Something else I noticed is that the C0% reported by ThrottleStop during your test seems to indicate that you have a pile of crap running on your system.  When your system is idle and you are sitting at the desktop with only ThrottleStop running, what C0% is reported.  Does the Windows Task Manager show anything unusual running in the background?  The CPU in my laptop needs to spend less than 0.5% of the time, processing the various Windows background tasks.  

I3fiXhj.png

When a CPU is idle, individual cores should be spending over 98% of the time in one of the deep C States like C7.

1znPH4Q.png

9 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Alright thank you so much man, this made it all clearer. One more thing, if I don't fix the problem will it cause problems to my board in the future? 

Your computer is broken.  I cannot predict the future but I know that if you do nothing, this problem is not going to go away.

Whether you decide to use ThrottleStop or not, your computer is not going to become more broken.  At 798 MHz, it is already running as slow as it can go.

Do a Google search for BD PROCHOT and you are going to find a few different computer models with similar issues.  Some dumb sensor that was designed to last for 10 or 20 or 50 years; is crapping out after only a year or two.  It is both a common problem but it is also an obscure problem.  Many people know something is wrong but they have a very difficult time finding out what.  Intel does not publicly document the BD PROCHOT bit in their Core i processors so besides ThrottleStop, there is no other software to detect this problem let alone fix it.  Intel XTU does not let you adjust BD PROCHOT.

The reason I know more than most about this issue is because I am the guy that wrote ThrottleStop.  You should consider upgrading to the latest version so you also have full voltage control of your CPU.  Enjoy using your laptop at full speed.  :)

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Your computer is broken.  I cannot predict the future but I know that if you do nothing, this problem is not going to go away.

Whether you decide to use ThrottleStop or not, your computer is not going to become more broken.  At 798 MHz, it is already running as slow as it can go.

Do a Google search for BD PROCHOT and you are going to find a few different computer models with similar issues.  Some dumb sensor that was designed to last for 10 or 20 or 50 years; is crapping out after only a year or two.  It is both a common problem but it is also an obscure problem.  Many people know something is wrong but they have a very difficult time finding out what.  Intel does not publicly document the BD PROCHOT bit in their Core i processors so besides ThrottleStop, there is no other software to detect this problem let alone fix it.  Intel XTU does not let you adjust BD PROCHOT.

The reason I know more than most about this issue is because I am the guy that wrote ThrottleStop.  You should consider upgrading to the latest version so you also have full voltage control of your CPU.  Enjoy using your laptop at full speed.  :)

Thank you so much man for all the info, gives me better knowledge on what is going on and where to go from here. Alright I'll give the latest version a try and thanks again. :)

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2016 at 2:40 AM, unclewebb said:

thank you so much man you are a life saver i had the same problem and you explained every thing to me i hope you have a great life may god bless you <3