Read/write permissions windows server 2011

I have a windows server 2011, and i need help editing the read/write permissions, to set it in a specific way.

I need to give user permission to read/write to folder.  However, i do not want him to delete.  This worked, when i customized the permissions, however, every time he reads a file, it opens a 'lock' file, to temporary lock the file from others, while one user uses it.  The problem is, without permissions to delete files, the system does not allow him to 'auto delete' the lock files.  The lock files stays, until me, the admin, deletes the files.  

Is there a way to allow a user to read, and write files into folder, but not let him delete files?  I didn't have this issue, but the new supervisor seems to accidentally delete files, and its a pain.  But he still needs permission to read files, and add new files to folders, but no deleting, no editing.  Also, needs to auto delete the 'lock' files.

Hope someone can help.  Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, never_here said:

the new supervisor seems to accidentally delete files, and its a pain.

I think this is the real issue here

How do you accidentally delete a file? If it's really that important, he/she should be more careful.

I don't have any experience with Windows server so I can't help you there :P

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

4 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I think this is the real issue here

How do you accidentally delete a file? If it's really that important, he/she should be more careful.

honestly, i dont know.... =_=... every time i approach to him about it, he just gets mad... But i figured i could just control this via permissions, but its becoming strangely difficult.  Can't complain too much though... he doesn't know most of my tasks takes only a few minutes to do, rather than days.  =)

3 hours ago, never_here said:

I have a windows server 2011, and i need help editing the read/write permissions, to set it in a specific way.

I need to give user permission to read/write to folder.  However, i do not want him to delete.  This worked, when i customized the permissions, however, every time he reads a file, it opens a 'lock' file, to temporary lock the file from others, while one user uses it.  The problem is, without permissions to delete files, the system does not allow him to 'auto delete' the lock files.  The lock files stays, until me, the admin, deletes the files.  

Is there a way to allow a user to read, and write files into folder, but not let him delete files?  I didn't have this issue, but the new supervisor seems to accidentally delete files, and its a pain.  But he still needs permission to read files, and add new files to folders, but no deleting, no editing.  Also, needs to auto delete the 'lock' files.

Hope someone can help.  Thanks in advance

You can remove delete permissions in the folder permissions under the list of permissions in advanced sharing.

enable versioning within the drive properties and you can recover the file in about 3 clicks. Right click folder > properties > previous versions to restore a file from a folder.

I always thought the locking / temp file was a system created file - you make sure system and what not have the appropriate permissions to said folder?

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Configuring_Volume_Shadow_Copy_on_Windows_Server_2008