Windows install problems

Go to solution Solved by Tommex84,
On 27. 4. 2016 at 6:05 PM, VulcanAndroid said:

Good Luck!

So I've been messing with the old hag again today and finally solved the problem. I went into BIOS and set ''Initial Display'' to PEG and put in gfx card. Now windows installed normally.

Heya 9_9

So after 1-2 years I decided to reassemble my old prebuilt PC as I wanna take it to work as I don’t have any use for it at home.

After assembly and BIOS reset I went ahead with installing the windows 7 home premium 64bit that came with the PC when I bought it. Now when I hit any key to boot from DVD, the ‘’loading files’’ comes up and after that ‘’setup is starting windows’’, then the PC just restarts and repeats the same process over and over. >:(

I tried with 4 different win7 HP dvd’s and a bootable USB stick, win7 Ultimate dvd and winXP cd, with no effect, only constant restart loops

What’s weird about it is that win7 HP goes into restart cycle as explained above, win7 Ultimate goes to the point where you have to select which drive/partition to install to (if I’m fast enough going through initial screens, lang select and type of install) and winXP lets me install them to the point where it has almost installed devices.

Have tested all RAMs and HDD on my main PC and they are ok.

I read somewhere that RAM incompatibility could be the issue. Is it possible that 4GB is too much for first clean install?

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2H  BIOS: F5

CPU: Intel core i5-3470

RAM: (2x) Kingston, DDR3, 1333MHz, 4096MB

HDD: Western Digital SATA3 500GB

PSU: Gigabyte ODIN Pro 550W

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

Have ordered a stick of 2GB RAM and if that doesn't work I'll test the CPU in my main rig.

Either way I'll have my satisfaction when I drive company van over it if I can't get it to work :D

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

On 4/25/2016 at 7:20 AM, Tommex84 said:

Heya 9_9

So after 1-2 years I decided to reassemble my old prebuilt PC as I wanna take it to work as I don’t have any use for it at home.

After assembly and BIOS reset I went ahead with installing the windows 7 home premium 64bit that came with the PC when I bought it. Now when I hit any key to boot from DVD, the ‘’loading files’’ comes up and after that ‘’setup is starting windows’’, then the PC just restarts and repeats the same process over and over. >:(

I tried with 4 different win7 HP dvd’s and a bootable USB stick, win7 Ultimate dvd and winXP cd, with no effect, only constant restart loops

What’s weird about it is that win7 HP goes into restart cycle as explained above, win7 Ultimate goes to the point where you have to select which drive/partition to install to (if I’m fast enough going through initial screens, lang select and type of install) and winXP lets me install them to the point where it has almost installed devices.

Have tested all RAMs and HDD on my main PC and they are ok.

I read somewhere that RAM incompatibility could be the issue. Is it possible that 4GB is too much for first clean install?

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2H  BIOS: F5

CPU: Intel core i5-3470

RAM: (2x) Kingston, DDR3, 1333MHz, 4096MB

HDD: Western Digital SATA3 500GB

PSU: Gigabyte ODIN Pro 550W

Windows 7 will have no trouble running/installing on a system with 4GB of RAM, in fact if you can manage to install more RAM it will be even happier!

It sounds as if you may have a system overheating problem or a possibly failing CPU. When doing reassembly did you mess with the CPU at all? 

Have you tried doing a live linux boot? This would allow you to do more tests on your system. 

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

44 minutes ago, VulcanAndroid said:

Windows 7 will have no trouble running/installing on a system with 4GB of RAM, in fact if you can manage to install more RAM it will be even happier!

It sounds as if you may have a system overheating problem or a possibly failing CPU. When doing reassembly did you mess with the CPU at all? 

Have you tried doing a live linux boot? This would allow you to do more tests on your system. 

Nope, never took out the CPU when I disassembled the PC about 2 years ago. All I did was apply thermal paste (Arctic MX-2) and put on stock cooler as I had Intel's AIO watercooling on 2 years ago.

Will have to look into the linux stuff as I never messed with them before.

5 hours ago, VulcanAndroid said:

Have tried both CD and USB of ubuntu-16.04-64 and ubuntu_12.04.5-i386 and no luck.

I can run memtest and that shows no errors but as soon as I choose ''Try Ubuntu'' or ''Install Ubuntu'' the screen goes black with flashing white line in top left and the PC resets.

2 hours ago, Tommex84 said:

Have tried both CD and USB of ubuntu-16.04-64 and ubuntu_12.04.5-i386 and no luck.

I can run memtest and that shows no errors but as soon as I choose ''Try Ubuntu'' or ''Install Ubuntu'' the screen goes black with flashing white line in top left and the PC resets.

That is really bizarre. Try re-seating your CPU, replace the thermal paste. Or check the motherboard for blown capacitors or any other signs of damage. Also just to cover all possible problems, try a different PSU if possible.

5 hours ago, PalladianPD said:

Maybe HDD is le tired. Tried a different hard disk?

Tried a backup hdd from main rig and tested this one in main rig.

8 hours ago, VulcanAndroid said:

That is really bizarre. Try re-seating your CPU, replace the thermal paste. Or check the motherboard for blown capacitors or any other signs of damage. Also just to cover all possible problems, try a different PSU if possible.

No visual signs of damage on the board and cpu socket, PSU checks out OK.

I did find a speaker/buzzer and connected it to the board, no error beeps just the initial one when you power up.

I am worried about the chipset though as during memtest the chipset heatsink was to hot to touch.

8 hours ago, Tommex84 said:

No visual signs of damage on the board and cpu socket, PSU checks out OK.

I did find a speaker/buzzer and connected it to the board, no error beeps just the initial one when you power up.

I am worried about the chipset though as during memtest the chipset heatsink was to hot to touch.

There should be no reason to worry about the chipset. Those heatsinks tend to be really hot.

My only other thing to suggest would be try a different CPU if possible. Sounds as if something is wrong with either the CPU or Mobo.

2 hours ago, VulcanAndroid said:

There should be no reason to worry about the chipset. Those heatsinks tend to be really hot.

My only other thing to suggest would be try a different CPU if possible. Sounds as if something is wrong with either the CPU or Mobo.

Well my main system deserves a bit of spring cleaning, so during weekend I'll try the i7 from it on the old board.

2 minutes ago, Tommex84 said:

Well my main system deserves a bit of spring cleaning, so during weekend I'll try the i7 from it on the old board.

Good Luck!

3 minutes ago, VulcanAndroid said:

Good Luck!

Thanks mate :)

On 27. 4. 2016 at 6:05 PM, VulcanAndroid said:

Good Luck!

So I've been messing with the old hag again today and finally solved the problem. I went into BIOS and set ''Initial Display'' to PEG and put in gfx card. Now windows installed normally.