<$500 RC.... recommendations?

iM8Pizza

okay, I'm a noob on this one, My brother used to have one but it's broken now and I'd like to play with one again, so is there any recommendations on what I should pick? and the parts as well, I've look into Tamiya but some says "you can get a better parts" than the already-come-with-the-box parts, so.... suggestions?, I'd go for an off-road type, 4wd (sort of rally-like cars)...But... I'd like to be able to convert it to somehow a drift type later on (if I might found off-road boring) is it possible though to convert an off-road type to a drift type?

P.S. Tamiya is the one brand that I can find their parts easily on where I live

pardon my english if there's any mistake, please correct me if you can

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($159.00 @ Umart) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($279.00 @ Umart) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($58.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $794.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 17:18 AEST+1000

\

doesn't contain an OS though

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

9 hours ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($159.00 @ Umart) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($279.00 @ Umart) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($58.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $794.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 17:18 AEST+1000

\

doesn't contain an OS though

Sir, you might come to the wrong thread or you might misread RC as PC and perceive it as a typo, but it;s not... I totally meant an RC, or... April Fools, yeay

btw, thanks tho, it's a good list, although I'd opt for an R9 290 (since it price is quite the same as that 960), and I'd get a more lower end case (or get an old ghetto one), and I'd get a "naked" "green" RAM instead and maybe a cheaper Mobo, and that's about it..

I race RC's at my local hobby shop, if you are looking to get into it for ~500USD I like my Traxxas Slash 4x4. Its got an okay speed stock (mine is no where near stock) and its insanely durable and hard to break. I race in the Open class and my truck goes about 65MPH and slamming it into the wall barely phases it most of the time. Its probably the best basher vehicle out there. I know there are multiple guides on how to convert the Slash into a buggy and an on road touring car as well, you can even buy car bodies that fit it when its stock from Parma that are based in the 50s/60s time era.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR1238-FIFTY-FIVE-SC-BAJA-BODY-SC10-SLASH-BLITZ-TEN-SCTE-ULTIMA-/222040032457?hash=item33b29e04c9:g:WMsAAOSwmmxW1mTV

Occasionally you can find on-road tires made specifically for SCT's as well but that's a little more difficult to do (my track is an on-road track, we were all running Momentum Slicks but they just went out of business so no one has a clue what we are going to run this year. lol)

12 hours ago, Starfox64_0 said:

I race RC's at my local hobby shop, if you are looking to get into it for ~500USD I like my Traxxas Slash 4x4. Its got an okay speed stock (mine is no where near stock) and its insanely durable and hard to break. I race in the Open class and my truck goes about 65MPH and slamming it into the wall barely phases it most of the time. Its probably the best basher vehicle out there. I know there are multiple guides on how to convert the Slash into a buggy and an on road touring car as well, you can even buy car bodies that fit it when its stock from Parma that are based in the 50s/60s time era.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAR1238-FIFTY-FIVE-SC-BAJA-BODY-SC10-SLASH-BLITZ-TEN-SCTE-ULTIMA-/222040032457?hash=item33b29e04c9:g:WMsAAOSwmmxW1mTV

Occasionally you can find on-road tires made specifically for SCT's as well but that's a little more difficult to do (my track is an on-road track, we were all running Momentum Slicks but they just went out of business so no one has a clue what we are going to run this year. lol)

Hmmm... yeah I've seen one in the store nearby, but... I'm not looking into "truck" looking (although the one you mention looks more like a dakar rally car), I'd look to have something more like a WRC looking type of car, I do acknowledge that I can change the body, But I want to change it to a Nissan 240Z (which would look like this if I'd like to modify it myself https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58459) and I don't think it'll fit on the mentioned above traxxas, although I know it's awesome

In my experience a car that's built for off road won't be great for on road and vise versa. However, from my own personal rc experiences, to get what you want I would go with a buggy type car. I know it won't look like a WRC car, but it's offroad performance would be amazing, and by experimenting with suspension setups and tires you can get decent on road performance too. Also, there are alot of buggy races out there if you want to start racing.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

In my experience a car that's built for off road won't be great for on road and vise versa. However, from my own personal rc experiences, to get what you want I would go with a buggy type car. I know it won't look like a WRC car, but it's offroad performance would be amazing, and by experimenting with suspension setups and tires you can get decent on road performance too. Also, there are alot of buggy races out there if you want to start racing.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58615

what about that one^ (no, I'm not kidding or something, I like kumamon since the first time I saw it's meme) ooooor.... suggestion maybe? (please do know tho, Tamiya is the one brand that is widely available in my area and my country *Indonesia, Traxxas is available as well although not that widely. and most people here interested on drift-variant, so it's kind of hard getting parts other than "drift-configured" parts)

Something like that yeah. But it's going to be hard to tune that like I was talking about (springs, shock oils, shock pistons, suspension geometry, and good tire and gearring selections. I would prefer something like an HPI buggy, but IDK if you can get that there.

Anything that's built for offroad, but with an extremely low CG (like a buggy or truggy) and that you can easily change tires and suspension setups with, should accomplish your goals just fine. My TMAXX 3.3 has been known to run 60+ on pavement one day, and then be a bash truck the next day, so a dual purpose rc is doable, it just depends on your budget: You essentially have to have to different sets of hop up parts, one for offroad and one for onroad.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME