Quanta LB4M Switch Setup

CarsonAurum

So, I have set a plan in motion to build a prosumer server system. (I can show a rudimentary network topology map if you want). The two Quanta LB4M switches arrived a few days ago, and after scouring the internet for a couple of days I cannot for the life of me find out how to access the console. I did learn, after reading a VERY long manual, that before I can use the web UI I have to set an IP in the console. There is a load of documentation on how to set up the IP once in the console, but there is none at all on accessing the console itself through a wired connection. Is there something super simple that I'm missing? I would like to use an RJ-45 port into the "management" port on the switch. The computer I would use to manage the switch is a MacBook (Don't burn me at the stake please), so if any software is needed could you find it in a Mac version?

Thanks,

Carson

I register just to respond to you.

#1 Normally I'd give you the answer you're looking for and run along but I gotta say this, your 2nd and 1st posts are 14 hours apart. I'm not on here a lot (evidently) but that's an awfully short fuse for someone asking about something that you yourself said "scouring the internet for a couple of days".

#2 Your request is missing some key information, maybe because you don't know and therefore don't think the info is key but that's another reason for delayed answers.

#3 There are so many layers to your question that it's hard to know where to start, but this is one http://archive.openflow.org/wk/index.php/Configuring_Quanta_LB4G . Took me <5 minutes to find that. Under "Getting started" section it says "Connecting to the switch over a serial port which will be necessary in order to configure the switch", something that is completely NOT out of ordinary if you've configured other managed switches before. Which leads into #4

#4 Maybe you shouldn't be configuring these switches and use a dumb switch instead? I know you did ask not to burn you at the stake for using a MacBook but I'll do it anyways, because none of us know what version, whether or not it has the standard USB or the sole USB-C (air), nor the availability of a serial-usb adapter for a mac. Clearly you're not a network person (and I don't think Linus is either after watching the pfSense build videos) so save yourself some trouble and get switches you don't have to configure. These switches only do L2 anyways.

5 hours ago, x_men said:

that's an awfully short fuse for someone asking about something that you yourself said "scouring the internet for a couple of days".

Is it not human to get tired of searching? Yeah... I'm a little bit "short fused" after working so hard to find something that should be so simple in theory.

5 hours ago, x_men said:

#3 There are so many layers to your question that it's hard to know where to start, but this is one http://archive.openflow.org/wk/index.php/Configuring_Quanta_LB4G . Took me <5 minutes to find that. Under "Getting started" section it says "Connecting to the switch over a serial port which will be necessary in order to configure the switch", something that is completely NOT out of ordinary if you've configured other managed switches before. Which leads into #4

I did stumble on that, but that is for the Quanta LB4G switch not the LB4M switch. Yes, there is a difference. But, besides that fact there is no serial port on the LB4M switch; Hence the confusion that lead to this thread in the first place.

5 hours ago, x_men said:

#4 Maybe you shouldn't be configuring these switches and use a dumb switch instead? I know you did ask not to burn you at the stake for using a MacBook but I'll do it anyways, because none of us know what version, whether or not it has the standard USB or the sole USB-C (air), nor the availability of a serial-usb adapter for a mac. 

Since all but one Mac is limited to USB C [PS... That model is the "MacBook" the MacBook Air has USB.] If I didn't say that it was a USB C mac, wouldn't it to be safe to assume I have a Mac with a standard USB 3 connection? And, as I stated there is no serial port on the actual switch... I already have a serial adapter from configuring other devices. (I probably should have said that now that I reread the thread...)

5 hours ago, x_men said:

Clearly you're not a network person (and I don't think Linus is either after watching the pfSense build videos) so save yourself some trouble and get switches you don't have to configure. These switches only do L2 anyways.

I was well aware of these switches only being L2... I don't really need anything more than that. In any event, the idea is to learn and gain experience in this (and the rest of the servers that I am working on). So, I went with something that I could tinker with and gain knowledge. So, yes I'm new to networking... But definitely not new to server administration in general.

In any event, thank you for the response, I'd be happy to hear from you again (or anyone else) if you (or anyone else) has another response to the original issue.

Thanks, 

Carson

The management port on every switch I have ever seen is a serial port in the form of an RJ45 connector. They do this to save money - why buy 24 or 48 RJ45 connectors and 1 serial connector when they could just buy 25 or 49 RJ45 connectors. Plus it uses less room on the chassis and PCB of the switch. What you need is:
-The appropriate RJ45 -> DB9 cable or adaptor - note that HP and Cisco use Rollover cables (This is different from a crossover cable!) and I have no idea what Quanta requires - but if you can't find it in the manual, a rollover cable or adaptor is a pretty safe bet

-A computer with a serial port, or a serial to USB adaptor. Note that I have no idea what the OS support for generic USB to serial adaptors is on OSX.

-A terminal program that can work over serial. The one I use on Windows is PuTTY, I'm pretty sure it's available cross-platform. From linux servers I've used minicom before, I imagine that would also be available for OSX.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

There is a manual, which you probably already have as you said you read thru it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dpbe0r0i0euxgg8/LB4M.pdf

Chapter 3.2 goes through setting up console access (yes, "Console" port on your switch is your serial port).

I do not have any experience with this make or model of switch, but if you do not have IP address for it (manual says default is 0.0.0.0), your best bet is probably console connection.

Here is a forum post on the matter if you go DIY on the cable.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/quanta-lb4m-48-port-gigabit-switch-discussion.3248/page-5

Google (image)search for "db9 rj45 quanta console cable" also gave plenty of results.

I would assume all the console cables are the same, so you could probably go with 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-RJ45-DB9-Cisco-console-cable/

or 

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-7-Cisco-Console-RJ45-to-DB9/dp/B000GL3MOY

You will indeed need to use serial for the initial set up.

(get a usb to RJ45 serial cable on ebay)

And you will need to use a lot of "?" in the CLI to config the switch as the manual is only 15% accurate at best and therefore 100% useless.

If I recall correctly the baudrate and other serial settings are correct though.

But yeah, first log in using serial and then set up the management IP so you can ssh into it.

When I'm home I can look up more specific command as I can than look them up in my own Quanta.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

oke here is how to set it up once you bought your usb to serial-RJ45 cable.

Just open a connection in putty or xshell using the com port of your serial cable with the default serial settings:

2016-03-09_18-49-57.png

Then just enter the following commands to set up the IP and enable SSH

(Quintana) >enable 
Password:
(Quintana) #ip ssh server enable 
(Quintana) #network parms 172.18.1.65 255.255.0.0 172.18.1.1
(Quintana) #write memory 
This operation may take a few minutes.
Management interfaces will not be available during this time.
Are you sure you want to save? (y/n) y
Configuration Saved!

obviously replace my IP, subnet and gateway with your own.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<