Which NAS OS + Hardware check

Decided to build my first NAS. I'm mostly using it for Plex with 2-3 1080 streams at once, as well as a file server. If possible I'd like to be able to password protect sections of it. 

Here's my parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLqXgs

I currently have 3 Seagate 4TB NAS drives, I'm considering picking up a 4th and running raid 6. 

As far as OS goes right now I'm leaning towards Linux or Windows. Is there pros/cons to running a full OS over something like freenas? Any downsides to just running straight Windows 10 Pro on it? Would a server edition of Windows be better? 

I don't know enough about windows server to say no but windows 10 pro should be able to handle the job, I think there's also an option to encrypt/ password protect files in the pro version as well. so if you don't have access to a cheap server edition, windows 10 pro would be a good go to.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

I believe Windows Server is more suitable than "consumer" Windows. Windows Server has these "roles" that'll give you a quite a few more options. As for Linux, I personally like playing around with it, and it's free, but could take some more work than if you went with Windows.

What are you more comfortable with? Have you used Linux before? Are you familiar with its file permissions? I personally use FreeNAS and had zero issues. 

1 minute ago, highly_unlikely1 said:

What are you more comfortable with? Have you used Linux before? Are you familiar with its file permissions? I personally use FreeNAS and had zero issues. 

I'm most comfy with Windows which is why I ask. I am comfortable with Linux and command line stuff (I use it for work) that doesn't really bother me, I've just never setup Raids and NAS stuff in Linux so I'm not sure how easy or robust it is. I've just seen a lot of suggestions for Ubuntu for the OS for people who don't want to run Freenas. 

Password protection on a folder isn't too big of a deal breaker since I'm the only one who's going to be accessing the NAS directly 99% of the time. Mostly I'm just trying to find something else to run plex on besides running my gaming rig 24/7. 

You can go with server 1012 r2, which has lots of file server features that 10, 8, or windows 7 have. You can also go with something like ubuntu server and samba. I prefer linux, as it is less resource heavy.

My native language is C++

4 hours ago, highly_unlikely1 said:

You should use what you are comfortable with, that being said I also use FreeNAS and love it

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks