Multiple audio sources

BelgiumCastGijs

Hey everyone!

I have recently picked up my parents' old speaker system (4 speakers, 2x 70W and 2x 30W) I want to hook them up to my home theather setup because they look sick!

I jsut have one problem, I also got the old record/radio/cassette player and I would liek to be able to use that one too without too much hassle.

My current thoughts were: an amplifier to connect it to my pc, still have some questions about that one though: it says it's a a 100W HiFi amplifier, will it deliverr 100 watt per channel or is that total (2x 50W)?

Also, the speakers only have a + and a - connection on the back, would it be bad if I hooked them up in paralel to both sources at the same time? this is how it would work (only right channel) the record play is able to give 4 outputs so that's not a problem, the amp only has 1 Right and one left channel output, so I'd have 2 cable starting from the right channel going to their own speaker, then have 2 cables returning to the amp, BUT it has to share the connections with the record player, so basically the negative current might get distributed over the two sources... Sorry for the (probably unclear) rant...

Would this setup work and not damage the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

-Gijs

Hi Gijs!

Wiring speakers in parallell is not recommended. This would result in a lower impedance, again leading to your amplifier having troubles driving the speakers and risk burning out. One way to solve this is to connect them in series. This would increase the overall impedance, and is less likely to damage your components. Again, this is not Ideal both due to reduced sound quality and also lower volume. Going out of bounds from the amplifiers impedance range is always a risky option, but going for series would be a good way to start. DISCLAIMER: On your own risk, in the case with amps, and speakers there are very many variables. No way of telling for sure.

regarding your amplifier, it is hard to say the exact power output from it. Sometimes manufacturers state the power output during certain conditions such as "100w pr channel @8ohm" and so forth. when it only states 100w hifi amplifier, your guess is as good as mine. Would probably think that the true output would be >100w in most cases.

Hope this helps some.

-Xyfor

1 minute ago, Xyfor said:

Hi Gijs!

Wiring speakers in parallell is not recommended. This would result in a lower impedance, again leading to your amplifier having troubles driving the speakers and risk burning out. One way to solve this is to connect them in series. This would increase the overall impedance, and is less likely to damage your components. Again, this is not Ideal both due to reduced sound quality and also lower volume. Going out of bounds from the amplifiers impedance range is always a risky option, but going for series would be a good way to start. DISCLAIMER: On your own risk, in the case with amps, and speakers there are very many variables. No way of telling for sure.

regarding your amplifier, it is hard to say the exact power output from it. Sometimes manufacturers state the power output during certain conditions such as "100w pr channel @8ohm" and so forth. when it only states 100w hifi amplifier, your guess is as good as mine. Would probably think that the true output would be >100w in most cases.

Hope this helps some.

-Xyfor

Thanks a lot! the amplifier I had selected on amazon.de literally states 100W per channel so I'll be alright there, one last question: You mentioned reduced sound quality, by how much would it be reduced? Would it be noticable?