Where do I get started with learning more about networking

pikkie-mahn-mastah
1 hour ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

I want to work in IT someday, and I want to start the learning process now. I know a fair amount about basic home networking, and how it all works, but I want to further my knowledge on the subject. Where would I get started, is there a recommended book or website for me to go to to learn the ropes (or cords for that matter).

http://www.lynda.com/

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I really recommend the first book of the CCNA Course i posted before. The first book contains th Fundamentals of networking and is wriiten for absolute beginners - going in the depths of network protocols and the OSI modell

If you want to do it without that book - start with the OSI Layer model - Networking is focust from Layer 1-4  - the other layers are more Programming stuff

- MAC Adrress Frame

- Differences between L1 Hubs, L2 Switches L3 Routers and firewall

- IP Protocol

- then other fundamentals like DNS/DHCP

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

A bit :D there's also some insanely in-depth things that can be done with them. People spend years learning about the shit you can do with them.

@NetworkPeet described it pretty well.

no real interest in the in depth one

its an old 16 port model picked up at goodwill for 5 bucks

cost 150 on amazon so im happy with it

(this may have already been asked, I didnt really bother to look)

Just curious, how old are you now?

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

2 hours ago, Derpologist said:

(this may have already been asked, I didnt really bother to look)

Just curious, how old are you now?

OP's profile says he was born in early 1999.

Reading and studying is great. However hands on is better. Make a card with your email and info and give it to family and friends. Then be their "IT" for a month or two. The most important part of network troubleshooting is problem solving. Being able to critically think to isolate symptoms to arrive at a solution. After that google and forums are your friend.  Exspand your horizon slowly by taking on problems you haven't before. I have worked almost 10 years as a DOCSIS technician and NOC engineer, and I am almost entirely self taught. I find I can troubleshoot circles around people with bags full of certificate. Like a good Mage build, wisdom is more important then intelligence.