Will a D-Link DHP-540 PowerLine improve my internet speeds?

Mathew

So, I've been using the Sling Media powerline kit that I got as a gift. It does it's job but I am seeing seriously low speeds compared to my office computer plugged directly into my router, and even wifi in the same room as the powerline kit. Over ethernet I hit close to 50Mb/s down over Comcast business, and over wifi I hit about 30Mb/s. With my Sling powerline I get around 10Mb/s down. From what I've been told by my friend he is seeing 25-30Mb/s down over his D-Link DHP-540 through Comcast business. Would the D-Link be a significant improvement?

Well i can't find any Sling Media specs, but from the looks of the D-Link it should blow it away.

But is it worth spending 200$ than running a cable to where you need ?

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Well, my router is downstairs on the opposite side of my house and wifi is spotty where my main desktop is. So, it'd probably be worth it.

Got Zyxel powerlines at home and its somewhat good, it all depends on your house wireing. If your house got old wires then it might just give you awful speed. Why not just get a wifi AP and extend your signal from your router? If I compare my wifi setup with my last powerline setup the latency was always better on the powerline, but the speed of the transfere was slightly higher on the wifi, but it all dependes how much interference was is the air at the time.

It all depends on what your gonna do, lots of filetransfer I recommend doing a network cable from the router(its always the best if its an option). Gaming and surfing I would say powerline because of the more constant latencies.

Linus got a good movie showing you powerline VS wifi check it out.

best regards

/D-tail

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK