New Asus Router Update Has Bandwidth Limiter For Clients!

The topic title pretty much says the whole story. But keep reading if you are interested.

Fist of all I own the Asus RT-AC68U. I don't know what other Asus routers support this update.

Also I know this isn't super new or anything but better late than never.  :D 

So there is a new update that introduced a bunch of new features and bug fixes (see details in log). But the main feature (at least for me) is the Bandwidth Limiter for clients!!!

Since I don't leave alone and other family members are using the internet while I'm trying to play online this is a huge deal!

I have tried QoS  but it doesn't really help for games.

This is my internet speed for now.

post-8863-0-65577500-1444081931.png

Being able to set max download and upload limits for each client is awesome!

So here is how it works. (keep in mind that enabling bandwidth limiter turns QoS off.)

post-8863-0-23746000-1444083539.png

post-8863-0-48337100-1444083747.png

Most of you aren't going to be interested in this but I'm writing this just in case some of you are facing the same issue and you are trying to find a solution.

But beware. I had to get to the support page of my router to see the new update. For some reason the "check update" button on the router web interface didn't found anything. So keep that in mind.

this would be interesting to me if i didnt have two of these end up DoA...

this would be interesting to me if i didnt have two of these end up DoA...

Seriously?!

Wow that's a lot of bad luck.

Seriously?!

Wow that's a lot of bad luck.

yup, it was the store's best selling router.

afterwards i found out they're very sensitive to dirty power coming in, which is an issue in my area :/

Huh, this is nothing new, my dad made software for the router like this in 2000.

We'd get a code to enter like you would at an Internet Cafe and it'd have a usage limit and speed limit.

They seem to be slow to only implement this now.

yup, it was the store's best selling router.

afterwards i found out they're very sensitive to dirty power coming in, which is an issue in my area :/

I had some sudden power cuts off but everything is still fine for me. 

Maybe a UPS would help you. I think they provide more "clean" power in the devices that are connected to it.

Huh, this is nothing new, my dad made software for the router like this in 2000.

We'd get a code to enter like you would at an Internet Cafe and it'd have a usage limit and speed limit.

Yeah I hope this was implemented sooner.

It is so useful. And as far a I know this is the first time a consumer router has this option.

Without a custom firmware of course.

Maybe a UPS would help you. I think they provide more "clean" power in the devices that are connected to it.

i currently have a linksys LRT214, which is what made me find out about the power thing, and its hooked up to a filtering UPS.

guess what - the first UPS was DoA...

i currently have a linksys LRT214, which is what made me find out about the power thing, and its hooked up to a filtering UPS.

guess what - the first UPS was DoA...

Jesus Christ dude! Come on!

This is so sad! :'(  :P

you are right, QoS is a standard feature on most routers for a long time. Asus has had it implemented on other routers before.

Most don't actually. and the ones that do, most of the cheaper ones do not produce a true sine wave