:( First Boot Problems

eugeneisaguy

Argh. Very frustrating problem, hoping someone can help. I just can't seem to get windows installed on this thing.

Currently running:
intel 5960x (watercooled) -- by the way, this thing is booting up at 33-34C after reseating. Not super happy with that
asus rampage v extreme

reference 980ti
64 gb g.skill ripjaws 2800
corsair ax1500i
intel 730 400gb ssd
samsung sm951 256gb m.2 ssd

Installing Windows 8.1 from a dvd drive plugged in via USB. Starting from scratch once I reset the bios, I make sure that the boot order has UEFI USB going first, and also set the PCIe/M.2 switch to M.2 (rather than auto). I can get to the Windows install process, select the m.2 drive, it starts installing, then when it resets:

1.)After bootup logo, DVD seemingly stops spinning, screen goes black, video card fans stop, and Q code says "43." It is no longer responsive to the "start" button on the RVE, can only reset at that point by holding down the power button on my test bench.

2.)After turning off and back on, no logo shows up, boot up goes straight to a black screen with a white underscore around the top left. Not all the way in the top left, and not flashing. Q-code is "AE," which I believe indicates that it has handed off to Windows; OR

3,)It'll boot to a windows blue screen saying that a critical file is corrupted and needs to be repaired; pushing any key results in the screen refreshing.

I'm totally at a loss. It seems that the problem basically occurs when the install process restarts. I've tried reseating the CPU (and didn't notice any visibly bent pins in the socket), tried it with only one stick of RAM, and tried with a different reference 980 ti (I have 3). I also tried installing to the Intel 730. Everything results in basically an error on restart. One critical thing I've noticed is that behavior is definitely different on restarts than when it is turned off and back on.

When I first tried to boot up, I had all 3 of the GPUs in and kept getting D6 Q code errors--black screen. Eventually that stopped happening but I removed the other two for now and am just focused on this problem.

Any help is very much appreciated!

I had similar problems with a MSI Z87 board.

Got a new H81 motherboard and suddenly everything worked fine.

I'm not an expert when it comes to OS installation, but the first thing I would come up with is a deffective motherboard.聽 :unsure:

I had similar problems with a MSI Z87 board.

Got a new H81 motherboard and suddenly everything worked fine.

I'm not an expert when it comes to OS installation, but the first thing I would come up with is a deffective motherboard.聽 :unsure:

Aw man. 聽I hope that ain't it....

Aw man. I hope that ain't it....

I would definitly have a look at a different forum. LTT is not known for its awesome software support... :P