Z97-HD3 SLI

Hi Everyone.

Just wondering, I am getting the hardware delivered for my new gaming rig pretty soon. I've chosen the Z97-HD3 motherboard. First of all. whats it like? What are your opinions on it?

Secondly, in future if i ever wanted to upgrade the machine and have two gtx 970's in the machine for SLI, will the motheboard be able to handle it? Can the Z97-HD3 have 2 GTX 970's?

Thanks.

It's a decent board but it has no SLI support so you'd need a different board for SLI,  these options are the lower end SLI capable boards, Gigabyte Z97X SLI, Asrock Z97 Extreme 3, Asus Z97-E or MSI Z97S SLI Krait

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Why did you buy a motherboard without researching it?  :huh: But as the person above said, it does not support SLI so you will need a new motherboard for that.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hi Everyone.

Just wondering, I am getting the hardware delivered for my new gaming rig pretty soon. I've chosen the Z97-HD3 motherboard. First of all. whats it like? What are your opinions on it?

Secondly, in future if i ever wanted to upgrade the machine and have two gtx 970's in the machine for SLI, will the motheboard be able to handle it? Can the Z97-HD3 have 2 GTX 970's?

Thanks.

It has support for 2 way crossfire. NOT SLI.  It's an alright board I guess, can't really go wrong with Gigabyte.  Just make sure to steer clear of Biostar.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

It's a decent board but it has no SLI support so you'd need a different board for SLI,  these options are the lower end SLI capable boards, Gigabyte Z97X SLI, Asrock Z97 Extreme 3, Asus Z97-E or MSI Z97S SLI Krait

Thanks. You say that the boards you mentioned are the low budget, SLI compatible ones. I take it the boards are good ones? I also meant to ask, the board that I am getting, will it have room to upgrade the ram in future also? I'm getting 8Gb of ram so in future, is there room to get another 8Gb in there?

Don't know if you can tell but I'm very new to all this. What make a good motherboard?

Thanks. You say that the boards you mentioned are the low budget, SLI compatible ones. I take it the boards are good ones? I also meant to ask, the board that I am getting, will it have room to upgrade the ram in future also? I'm getting 8Gb of ram so in future, is there room to get another 8Gb in there?

Don't know if you can tell but I'm very new to all this. What make a good motherboard?

They're all pretty good, some people tend to avoid Asrock but I haven't had any issues with them, each of the boards and your current board support up to 32GB ram with 4 x 8GB dimms so you've got plenty of room to upgrade.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

They're all pretty good, some people tend to avoid Asrock but I haven't had any issues with them, each of the boards and your current board support up to 32GB ram with 4 x 8GB dimms so you've got plenty of room to upgrade.

Great, thanks. If I were to get a new board and get 2 970's, will the system be able to handle it? i am getting a 600w PSU from Corsair. Would that be enough wattage to support the 2 GPU's? Plus what board would you recommend that i get that is the most reasonable priced but the most future proof for upgrading.

Great, thanks. If I were to get a new board and get 2 970's, will the system be able to handle it? i am getting a 600w PSU from Corsair. Would that be enough wattage to support the 2 GPU's?

600W in theory will be fine, which model specifically? If it's the CX/CXM I'd replace it with a higher quality option before getting another 970

600W in theory will be fine, which model specifically? If it's the CX/CXM I'd replace it with a higher quality option before getting another 970

It is a CX model actually. These are the specs:

Fractal Design R5 Case

Intel Core i5 4690K Haswell Refresh Processor 3.50 GHz (Overclocked to up to 4.3GHz)

Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler (CHANGED FROM CORSAIR H55 LIQUID COOLER)

Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Motherboard - Haswell CPU only

8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card

250GB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State Drive

Seagate 2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU

So, if I want SLI and I am using a Nvidia card, I need to change the motherboard. You also suggest if I plan on doing that, I should change my PSU since it is the CX600. What should I change it to?

TBH, I haven't got the parts coming just yet, but I am almost at the stage where I am going to order them.

~snip~

I'd go with something along the lines of a Coolermaster VSM power supply 650W or more,  Seasonic M series 620W or more, G series 650W or more then with EVGA the GS series 650W or more, B2 750W or more and G2 750W or more. There are other good options but these are well regarded and typically well priced and at least some of them should be available.

I haven't had any issues with Asrock either but their english is TERRIBLE and they have so many spelling mistakes when responding to customers I literally can't buy another one.

blackshades on