Help with a Nas/Server build

rangat

I am building a Ubuntu home server, and I wanted to know if it is possible to get a 64 gb ssd and partition it to use arround 30 gbs for isrt. I have 4 2 terrabyte wd reds that i want to put in raid 10, is this a possibility, or is it not worth it because i am going to use the ssd as a boot drive. (the server will be getting a lot of remote access use). 

if you're making a windows box then yes and if the motherboard supports it. But why would you use Windows for a nas... Linux all the way.

"There's no test like production!"

if you're making a windows box then yes and if the motherboard supports it. But why would you use Windows for a nas... Linux all the way.

I am going to us Ubuntu server, unless you can tell me about a better linux based server software, I need to be able to connect windows, and (sadly) a mac. I also want to run my personal minecraft server. Thanks

don't bother with smart response you won't notice the difference over a network, also you may be better putting the drives in raid 5, there are less calculations and it is easier to troubleshoot. 

I am going to us Ubuntu server, unless you can tell me about a better linux based server software, I need to be able to connect windows, and (sadly) a mac. I also want to run my personal minecraft server. Thanks

Ubuntu: An ancient African word meaning "can't install Debian" 

don't bother with smart response you won't notice the difference over a network, also you may be better putting the drives in raid 5, there are less calculations and it is easier to troubleshoot. 

What he said there will be not benefit just the OS will be faster the P2P connection will be the same 

is possible to get a 64 gb ssd and partition it to use arround 30 gbs for isrt

Yes but it's not worth it.

I have 4 2 terrabyte wd reds that i want to put in raid 10

I recommend RAID 5 instead of RAID 10 if you want redundancy with 4 drives.

Not true. RAID 5 is far more complex than RAID 10, but OP would get 3 drives worth of storage (with RAID 5) compared to only 2 drives worth of storage (with RAID 10). Performance with RAID 5 will be lower as well, but it shouldn't really be that big of a deal.

I am going for a straight up performance NAS, I really dont need the redundancy/ troubleshooting ability of raid 5, and I need the performance of raid 10 because there is going to be a lot of out of country/ slow internet connection access of this drive. 

But if you got a slow Internet access, then you don't need high performance.