Which distro should i pick?

shayned1997

So im getting tired of windows and want to get used to Linux. I have heard that once you switch to linux you never want to go back. My problem is I don't know what distro to use could I get some input on which one? Steam OS, Ubuntu, Debian, ect?????

Zorin was great for me to learn off of when I first got back into Linux. Since then, I've gotten into BackTrack 5r2 for penetration testing on networks I build for class (soon to use Kali), Ubuntu (because who hasn't), XUbuntu, Steam OS, and Fedora. Personal favorite for general use is a toss-up between Ubuntu and XUbuntu, but they are practically the same from how I use it.

My best recommendation is to get a virtual machine software, and try out as many distros as you can. Good luck, my friend.

EDIT: The reason Zorin was great for me is that the interface was designed to resemble Windows as heavily as possible.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

you see, I can recommend what you need but in the end most of time... people will try everything within their limit

Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, Linux Mint, Puppy OS, Kubuntu, Ubuntu lite

these distro is popular because the curve of learning isn't that hard, because it's very similar to android platform.

Zorin was great for me to learn off of when I first got back into Linux. Since then, I've gotten into BackTrack 5r2 for penetration testing on networks I build for class (soon to use Kali), Ubuntu (because who hasn't), XUbuntu, Steam OS, and Fedora. Personal favorite for general use is a toss-up between Ubuntu and XUbuntu, but they are practically the same from how I use it.

My best recommendation is to get a virtual machine software, and try out as many distros as you can. Good luck, my friend.

EDIT: The reason Zorin was great for me is that the interface was designed to resemble Windows as heavily as possible.

im going big just wiping my windows hdd and changing

to my daily driver

im going big just wiping my windows hdd and changing

to my daily driver

Partition the HDD and try some first then. I would never, ever commit to an OS before I decided if I like it or not, it just seems naive to me. I'm all about exploring your options, but do so wisely. Regardless, good luck man :) Hope you like the change!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Partition the HDD and try some first then. I would never, ever commit to an OS before I decided if I like it or not, it just seems naive to me. I'm all about exploring your options, but do so wisely. Regardless, good luck man :) Hope you like the change!

you see, I can recommend what you need but in the end most of time... people will try everything within their limit

Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, Linux Mint, Puppy OS, Kubuntu, Ubuntu lite

these distro is popular because the curve of learning isn't that hard, because it's very similar to android platform.

Quick question what about gaming on linux?

Quick question what about gaming on linux?

Steam has a pretty good Linux-compatible variety. The biggest issue becomes hardware compatibility (which is much better than when I got into Linux about 5 years ago). For example, I had to find a custom driver for my wireless NIC for it to function in Ubuntu.

A hands-down good choice would be SteamOS, since it is meant to be a gaming-oriented OS. Of course, there is some compatibility issues between games. Toms Hardware has a decent list of what games ore compatible (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steam-machine-games,news-18278.html ), but checking each game you wish to play on their Steam page will be a much better, and more specified solution.

Steam has a pretty good Linux-compatible variety. The biggest issue becomes hardware compatibility (which is much better than when I got into Linux about 5 years ago). For example, I had to find a custom driver for my wireless NIC for it to function in Ubuntu.

A hands-down good choice would be SteamOS, since it is meant to be a gaming-oriented OS. Of course, there is some compatibility issues between games. Toms Hardware has a decent list of what games ore compatible (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steam-machine-games,news-18278.html ), but checking each game you wish to play on their Steam page will be a much better, and more specified solution.

There are more than 1000 Linux compatible games on Steam if that's what you're wondering.

Any luck with Wine? as I want to be ablet o play games for example GTAV

If you use your machine primarily for gaming then moving to Linux would be a bad move.

Any luck with Wine? as I want to be ablet o play games for example GTAV

hm6Fh.jpg

GTA V is showing Windows-only compatibility according to the Steam page.

hm6Fh.jpg

GTA V is showing Windows-only compatibility according to the Steam page.

WINE lack support for DirectX 10/11.

well no linux for me than

If you use your machine primarily for gaming then moving to Linux would be a bad move.

But i wanna :(

But i wanna :(

I would suggest maybe dual booting Windows + Linux so you can run Linux as your primary daily driver and when you feel the need to game you can reboot into Windows for support. Linux is great all around but the one place it's still playing catch-up is in gaming.

I would suggest maybe dual booting Windows + Linux so you can run Linux as your primary daily driver and when you feel the need to game you can reboot into Windows for support. Linux is great all around but the one place it's still playing catch-up is in gaming.

I would but i only got a 120gb boot drive :(