Good uses for RAM drive?

compuwise

I watched Linus' video about AMD's RAM disk software. Free if you only create no larger than a 4 gig RAM disk. Costs a little if you go higher. Can go up to 64 gig.

What good is a RAM disk? Its neat and fast but really only saw Linus launch Adobe suite and it still took too long. I am a gamer! And before you mention, Linus did say this really isnt for gamers but still, a RAM disk has to have some other use.

I am only using a 4 gig RAM disk.

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

I found it useful to record games at 120fps and then copy them over to my hard drive. If you are editing any videos you could always copy all of your project files onto the ram disk and then when it comes time to render, set the output file to the ram disk also. Makes things a little bit faster and puts your CPU as the bottleneck instead of your drives.

I watched Linus' video about AMD's RAM disk software. Free if you only create no larger than a 4 gig RAM disk. Costs a little if you go higher. Can go up to 64 gig. What good is a RAM disk? Its neat and fast but really only saw Linus launch Adobe suite and it still took too long. I am a gamer! And before you mention' date=' Linus did say this really isnt for gamers but still, a RAM disk has to have some other use. I am only using a 4 gig RAM disk.[/quote']

Where on the website does it say it can go to 64 GB?

EDIT: Oops, it's a different piece of software. Wish it could use more than that. Windows can use up to 192GB. This would be great on an x79 platform, you can get many more of the bandwidth benefits of quad-channel memory.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I watched Linus' video about AMD's RAM disk software. Free if you only create no larger than a 4 gig RAM disk. Costs a little if you go higher. Can go up to 64 gig. What good is a RAM disk? Its neat and fast but really only saw Linus launch Adobe suite and it still took too long. I am a gamer! And before you mention' date=' Linus did say this really isnt for gamers but still, a RAM disk has to have some other use. I am only using a 4 gig RAM disk.[/quote'] Where on the website does it say it can go to 64 GB? EDIT: Oops, it's a different piece of software. Wish it could use more than that. Windows can use up to 192GB. This would be great on an x79 platform, you can get many more of the bandwidth benefits of quad-channel memory.

Im with ya. I would love to have more and be able to use it. What geek doesnt. :) 64gb is a nice bite of RAM though.

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

I found it useful to record games at 120fps and then copy them over to my hard drive. If you are editing any videos you could always copy all of your project files onto the ram disk and then when it comes time to render' date=' set the output file to the ram disk also. Makes things a little bit faster and puts your CPU as the bottleneck instead of your drives.[/quote']

I dont do a lot of recording but I have done some. I love COD MW3. I think BLOPSII sux though.

I do download and convert a lot of YouTube videos too. I can try using the RAM drive for that. Thanks!