CPU and Ram Upgrade for a Good Old HP DV1000?

So my dad got this old laptop with a pretty poor CPU celeron 1.4ghz

and it acceptable runs with Linux Crunchbang, but with Win XP its just annoying

3014.jpg

The funny thing is that my cousin have the same exact model running with a Pentium 4 Processor (I Think), and it feels FAST

I guess that we have the same MOBO or at least socket, so now that old hardware is gettin cheap

I guess a cool CPU for this veteran might be pretty chep as well

These are the CPUZ screenshots

mdf.png v7B6jYn.png 8xLK9cG.png

I will appreciate any recomendation for a Cheap CPU with a great performance, or at least substantially better than celeron

Socket Looks like: 479 but im confused about that: mPGA

Heya,

I had a little hunt around on google and found this service manual for that specific model laptop. There is a section for CPU "spare replacements", which lists all the socket 479 CPUs I presume are compatible with that motherboard.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps,

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Heya,

I had a little hunt around on google and found this service manual for that specific model laptop. There is a section for CPU "spare replacements", which lists all the socket 479 CPUs I presume are compatible with that motherboard.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps,

Elven

thanks for the research, sadly I am gettin this

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

thanks for the research, sadly I am gettin this

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request

awwh, ok. Hold on I'll get a print screen of it and do it that way  ^_^

Hope this Works:

HP DV1000

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

awwh, ok. Hold on I'll get a print screen of it and do it that way  ^_^

Hope this Works:

HP DV1000

Elven

Thanks..!

Based on this, no dual core for this veteran....  However is still much better than what I have now

However I wonder when was that last time this document has been updated, since this is a very very very old laptop

But if that is so, I would need to learn which other parameters I need to watch besides socket type, and thats a little bit risky

Thanks for the info

this is weird, I got the DV1000 site from HP

and found this document for the DV1600 that includes

3c0v7QA.png

Thanks..!

Based on this, no dual core for this veteran....  However is still much better than what I have now

However I wonder when was that last time this document has been updated, since this is a very very very old laptop

But if that is so, I would need to learn which other parameters I need to watch besides socket type, and thats a little bit risky

Thanks for the info

No problem!

The document was published in November 2005. So it's pretty old, too  :lol: .

Yeah, that is the tricky part. I think providing that the CPU is compatible with the 400MHz FSB, it SHOULD be ok.

I would recommend making sure you have the latest BIOS update.

You can download it from here:

I would also see if you can contact HP, just to make sure that it is compatible. I wouldn't want you to go ahead with my advice and find out that it didn't work. Contact an employee of HP just to be 100% sure. After all, it's what they are there to do  :lol:

Elven

this is weird, I got the DV1000 site from HP

and found this document for the DV1600 that includes

Hmm, I noticed that, too. I do hate it when manuals for different models are usually "a group of models" are listed with specs but don't specify if it does work with a particular model  :wacko: .

Elven

Hmm, I noticed that, too. I do hate it when manuals for different models are usually "a group of models" are listed with specs but don't specify if it does work with a particular model  :wacko: .

Elven

yeah these guys makes so many models that it must be consfusing even for them

there is another fact tho'

I heard that core 2 duo CPU runs at lower temps

so that might be a plus, since the heatsink will remain the same...

there is another fact tho'

I heard that core 2 duo CPU runs at lower temps

so that might be a plus, since the heatsink will remain the same...

Defo, will be a good bonus  :lol:

Do you know how much RAM does your cousin's model has? I have a feeling that it might not allow more than 512MB.

Elven

Defo, will be a good bonus  :lol:

Do you know how much RAM does your cousin's model has? I have a feeling that it might not allow more than 512MB.

Elven

Nope, but that might suck big time

I better check the chipset pdf, HP manuals are useless

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/855gm-gme-chipset-graphics-memory-controller-hub-datasheet.html