is there a monitor to bridge the gap between mmo gaming and fps gaming?

Xsjadochef

Hey guy im new to this forum and just built my pc.

Intel 3570k stock speeds

MSI Mpower mobo

Galaxy 2gb gtx 670 at stock speeds

16gb at 1600 avexir ram

evga supernova 750 gold power supply

corsair c70 military green case

Anyways heres my issue. I play a lot of games anywhere from mmos, to fps, to mobas, to really anything i find to play doesnt really matter, I am looking for a monitor to bridge the gap between all of the games i play to have good color and good fps. i have come to a point to where i would like to get the benq 2720t since i can set up color profiles on it. i also love the colors of the ips panels (i do know the 2720t is tn panel). i dont really know where to go with this lol. Im coming from an old 1680x1050 sylvania monitor that crapped out on me recently so really anything would be a step up right? any suggestions of any monitors would be much appreciated. i have done a lot of research and came up empty lol so to speak becasue no one really talks about a topic like this probably because its so broad on games.

i usually play.

Dayz (most arma series)

Arma 3 

Bf3

Neverwinter

Rift

Gw2

Cod

Shoot mania

Metro 2033 and last light

Borderlands

Smite 

Tribes asend

Hon

Dota 2

Lol

diablo 3 and 2

everquest 

counterstrike

as you can see a little bit of everything.

Personally I would never go with a 27" that's 1080p. They just aren't dense enough for close viewing. If you're concerned about colors IPS would be the way to go and sticking at 1080p I wouldn't go over 24".

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I always recommend the monitor I use.

Asus PA248Q

IPS, it's 60hz and I notice no input lag or ghosting of any sort gaming from FPS to RPG

1920x1200 so vram doesn't become a concern, fully adjustable stand, it's a quality product.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

27" with 1080p isnt good.

There is a few FPS games on your list. I would forget about IPS, PLS etc and go a TN Panel from one of the following 24" monitors 144hz like the ASUS VG248QE or the BenQ XL2411t or XL2420t.

Other than that run the guantlet with a korean 1440p @ 27"

[Official] Debezelled Monitor & Portrait Surround/Eyefinity

How to debezel a ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D monitor

ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D Monitor - REVIEW

PORTRAIT SURROUND VG248QE - 3770k - MVE - SLI TITAN - AX1200i - 800D - HD800 - MUTEKI 7.2

I am afraid you have to pick between colors reproduction and more than 60fps. You can't have both.

Most people, that are not FPS focused, go with an IPS panel, as games look gorgeous with any IPS panel. Games looks stunning, and you really enjoy the art style of the game.

It's like a graphical boost, without loosing gaming performance (assuming you don't get a 2560x1440 monitor, which obviously, due to the higher number of pixels, require more GPU power).

FPS hardcore player, prefer 120Hz monitor, Obviously you need the computational power to play your games at a solid 120fps.. usually pros either get high power SLI/Crossfire card, or just play the game at minimum settings, to ensure a solid 120fps experience.

They are many awesome IPS monitors, all depending on your budget.

Another advantage of IPS panels, is that most of them are targeted at the high-end consumer market, so you get a a non glossy screen, non-glossy stand/frame, strong build quality, fully adjustable stand, everything designed so that you can focus on your game and work, and not be distracted by reflection and such.

So with the replies I got, since I'm not a hardcore pro league competitive gamer or what not I don't think I will need what I thought I wanted so I started looking at IPs panels I found a video Linus did on the nixeus vue 27" 2560x1440 monitor which sounds like a good choice but I cannot find any reviews on it just unboxing videos. Also I know they are two different resolutions but is size of screen the difference between 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 or could I even get a 2560x1440 24" monitor. As I am a casual gamer who plays a lot of games I believe I will benefit more from better color reproduction. Also if anyone could shout out any good 2560x1440 monitors they have had experience with, I heard catleaps are good?

They are no 24inch 2560x1440 monitor.. at least not yet at the consumer level.

All 2560x1440 are 27inch.

The Nixeus Vue is what you saw. Personally, I hate glossy screens. Especially at 24inch and higher, because it really feels like a mirror, you see all finger prints and dust, it's a pain to maintenance, and micro scratches are visible, and sucks when it happens on the panel itself. What I recommend are getting from reputable brand. While you do pay more. You do get, in my opinion, what you pay for. For example, you do get, a non-flimsy fully adjustable stand, non glossy anything so that you can focus on your work or gaming without distractions, 1:1 pixel mapping, 3 year warranty, 0 bright/stuck pixel warranty (yes, 0!), and 5-6 (depending on the brand) or more dead pixel with no zone or distance crap policy to not cover you, in some cases, like Dell monitor, for an warranty repair, Dell will pay shipping BOTH directions for you, you even get to keep the monitor while you are waiting for the replacement monitor (pre-paid shipping label to return the monitor, will be included in the box), in monitors even comes with a manufacture pro-color calibrated profile. While, I have to admit, it's not the best calibration in the entire world, it's pretty darn excellent for a non-professional (beside these monitors are for pro's.. Pro's uses far fancier and expensive monitors), so that you get the most of the monitor, pretty much out of the box (you have to go on the monitor menu, and select the pre-color profiles.. I don't know why it's not set by default).

Some monitor have "Game Mode", which turns off the color process and Look Up Table (yes, you have those as well inside), to help increase the input lag, at the sacrifice of color reproduction, if it's ever an issue during your gaming session. Usually it's not for most people... but nice to have, as we are all different.

Anyway, my recommendations are as follows:

-> Dell U2713HM (not to be confused with the far more expensive U2713H). Check Dell site often, they usually have specials that drops the price close to the Nixeus vue, surprisingly.. like 50$ more.

-> ASUS PB278Q

They are of course better monitor, but more pricier, but those one suggest, features a  true 8-bit IPS panels (and not 6-bit IPS panels, like TN panels.. while 6-bit IPS panel are better than TN panel, a true 8-bit panel is even better), color processor, and Look Up Table, a series of interesting connections, 3 year warranty with 0 bright/stuck pixel. 5 or more dead pixels for ASUS, 6 or more for Dell one. But as mentioned Dell pays shipping both directions. Also the Dell monitor, have the pre-color calibrated profile (sRGB), with report, while the ASUS model above, does not.

If you want better, they are.. but of course, more expensive.

In the 23/24inch that means 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively  You have:

-> Dell U2412 (24inch - 1920x1200 - 6-bit IPS)

-> ASUS PA248Q (24inch - 1920x1200 - 6-bit IPS)

-> Dell U2410 (if you can get your hand on, as it's discontinued - true 8-bit panel - 24inch - 1920x1200)

-> Eizo FORIS FS2333 (23inch - 1920x1080 - not sure on the panel, but it uses super fast internal circuit and color processor, to get a near 0ms input lag). Eizo is a Japanese company, they are known in the professional market. They just recently entered the consumer market with this monitor series.

Dell UltraSharp series (U series) uses LG IPS panels. ASUS is mixed depending on the model... I think they use LG, Samsung, and AOC but not sure at 100%, I could be wrong here.

My personal input is that above 24" is no good for gaming... especially in FPS games I have died many times simply because a 27" monitor was too big and things at the edges would often escape my notice for just a second too long.

Go with a non-glossy IPS panel as the others said; the colors are much better than TN and 120Hz is a bit superfluous to the average user, in my opinion...

Thanks guys for all the help I think I'm going try the asus pb278q. I actually am using my 92" hd dlp mitsubishi tv to play Bf3 about maybe 2 feet away so I don't think the 27 inch will bother me much lol. All of the info was great for me defiantly looked into the dells and asus monitors.

Thanks guys for all the help I think I'm going try the asus pb278q. I actually am using my 92" hd dlp mitsubishi tv to play Bf3 about maybe 2 feet away so I don't think the 27 inch will bother me much lol. All of the info was great for me defiantly looked into the dells and asus monitors.

Try and go see the Asus in the store first and turn the brightness down to 25 and see if you are one of the few people that PWM lighting effects..If you are it can give you bad headaches and eye strain..If you have the money i would go with the Viewsonic VP2770 as it has the lowest input lag and don't use PWM backlighting..

Anyone heard of this monitor or any experience with it?

http://www.doublesight.com/product/detail/79.html

here is a review from AnandTech. Not the greatest review either but I only skimmed through it. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5959/doublesight-ds277w-back-to-the-drawing-board

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Dell UltraSharp series (U series) uses LG IPS panels. ASUS is mixed depending on the model... I think they use LG, Samsung, and AOC but not sure at 100%, I could be wrong here.

All IPS panels are LG. Samsung has PLS, I'm not sure about AOC having anything, and I don't know who has patent on VA panels. 1080p 27" is a big no, 1440p honestly hits your GPU hard it almost halves FPS. So no Crysis 3 on 1440p and ultra settings with 670. I would go with some of those 23/24 that GoodBytes recommended, depending on the money you want to spend. But honestly as a gamer you don't need EZIO, LaCie and similar monitors you won't benefit much from their capabilities and they are really expensive pro monitors for graphic professionals. U2412 is good enoguh trust me.   

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

All IPS panels are LG. Samsung has PLS, I'm not sure about AOC having anything, and I don't know who has patent on VA panels. 1080p 27" is a big no, 1440p honestly hits your GPU hard it almost halves FPS. So no Crysis 3 on 1440p and ultra settings with 670. I would go with some of those 23/24 that GoodBytes recommended, depending on the money you want to spend. But honestly as a gamer you don't need EZIO, LaCie and similar monitors you won't benefit much from their capabilities and they are really expensive pro monitors for graphic professionals. U2412 is good enoguh trust me.   

PLS is basically the same, it is Samsung's version of IPS with slight changes to avoid patents.  Other panel manufacturers all have their own variants of IPS.

Dell U2312HM, Acer H236HLbid (if you don't mind glossy), or ASUS PA238Q are all good.