Laminar or turbulent flow?

A lot of water blocks I see whether they be GPU/CPU now designed to have quite a turbulent flow usually over a bunch of pins or through channels.

At first glance it seems this would be better because it increases the surface area and so more heat can be transferred but this will inevitably slow doiwn the flow which decreases the heat transferred out by the radiator because the heated coolant hangs around in the block for longer.

Put another way, turbulent flow gives better heat transfer into the coolant but gives worse heat transfer out. Right?

So laminar flow would give worse heat transfer into the coolant but any heat that is transferred would be transferred out of the system far quicker.

It's very counter intuitive to reduce the heat transfer in a cooling loop but are we actually shooting ourselves in the foot? Or would it not make the slightest difference?

Also I realise that very few people make their own water blocks and have this choice but I'm looking for your opinions not a water cooling revolution!