Computer powering off

Supericy
Go to solution Solved by naca1227,

It's either the power supply or the temps are getting too hot. Try checking the thermal paste on your CPU.

Basically, the issue is that my computer would power off with no warning, and would stay off.

The started happening a few weeks ago while I was playing Far Cry 3. My computer powered off at a specific cutscene, and I could not get past it. The (temp) solution I had was to lower the resolution from 1080p to 720p, which fixed the issue in that scenario.

However, the problem seems to be getting worse. Now, whenever I open up Photoshop or Eclipse, my computer will power off. I can reliable trigger the problem by running prime95 or furmark, the computer will power down instantly.

I ran 5 iterations of memtest86 (is that enough?) and there were 0 errors.

This leads me to believe it is my power supply, as it is very old (8+ years).

Do you guys have any suggestions on what the next step should be to troubleshoot this problem?

Hardware:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E

CPU: AMD Phenom II 940

GPU: Radeon hd4850

PSU: FSP Blue Storm 500W

+ a kingston v200 60gb SSD and a western digital 500gb HDD

It's either the power supply or the temps are getting too hot. Try checking the thermal paste on your CPU.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I am pretty sure that it might be the psu because its not a good quality psu imo and having it for more than 8 years is pretty nice for this psu. This only happens when you are running a stress test which could mean that your psu cannot handle the power and shutdown possibly. Is your psu or any of your components overheating?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I am pretty sure that it might be the psu because its not a good quality psu imo and having it for more than 8 years is pretty nice for this psu. This only happens when you are running a stress test which could mean that your psu cannot handle the power and shutdown possibly. Is your psu or any of your components overheating?

Looking at my temps with Hardware monitor, it doesn't seem like any of my components are overheating. Here are my temps so that you guys can verify: http://i.imgur.com/QKEsBGV.png

I'll probably just find a decent PSU to buy, since if the issue ends up being any other component (my second guess would be motherboard), I would have to buy one anyway.

Looking at my temps with Hardware monitor, it doesn't seem like any of my components are overheating. Here are my temps so that you guys can verify: http://i.imgur.com/QKEsBGV.png

I'll probably just find a decent PSU to buy, since if the issue ends up being any other component (my second guess would be motherboard), I would have to buy one anyway.

Yeah just get a new PSU and if that doesn't work in all honesty just buy a whole new rig, get one for like $400 or $500 bucks and add your graphics card in there or get a new one.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Yeah, it seems like a PSU issue, but it seems like you're due course for an upgrade anyway so if the PSU doesn't fix your problem a new system wouldn't be a bad idea.

I purchased a new power supply and now everything seems to be running fine. I can even run prime95 and furmark... at the same time!

Thanks for the help everyone.