Low FPS for Skyrim recording

Hazy125
Go to solution Solved by Crabtr,

I would suggest getting another drive to record to.

Considering this is happening with both Fraps and Dxtory and with specs like that I'm going with this as well. Unless you're using a VelociRaptor HDD, and even it may have trouble, it's incredibly hard for a HDD to pull the game and write all of that uncompressed HD footage at the same time. Get a separate drive just for recording to and you'll have no issues.

I've been trying to record Skyrim with FRAPS, it runs 60 or so frames when it's not recording, but when I start recording it drops to 5 frames, exactly 5 frames which makes it unplayable. Dxtory has the exact same issue. I've tried a few different things, I don't want to record half size. I have tried recording to an external drive so it doesn't provide a bottleneck but that doesn't fix the issue. I also feel I should be able to play at higher FPS normally, I have tried lowering the quality from Ultra down to medium with the same results

My current PC specs are:

3770k@4.0Ghz

Seagate Barracuda 3gb

32Gb of ripjaws@1333 or 1600

Gigabyte Nividia 670 4Gb at stock frequency, I can't remember

G1 sniper 3

And an 800 watt modular PSU

I can pretty much overclock any of my computers hardware if that may be the issue and am looking to overclock more anyway, also thoughts on the Avermedia Live gamer HD, would that be a better solution

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I have had friends with the same issue, and it was just because one harddrive couldnt run windows + the game + recording well.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1. Use Different HDD or SSD
2. FRAPS isn't very "Frames Friendly" so look into different solutions.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Considering this is happening with both Fraps and Dxtory and with specs like that I'm going with this as well. Unless you're using a VelociRaptor HDD, and even it may have trouble, it's incredibly hard for a HDD to pull the game and write all of that uncompressed HD footage at the same time. Get a separate drive just for recording to and you'll have no issues.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Thanks for the quick replies, it's definitely been an idea to get another drive anyway due to issues with loading an OS on a 3Gb drive, I am thinking about getting a RAID 0 with two 1TB drives

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop