Rampage iv extreme will not post

Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,

Something is shorting from the back of the case to the board. Make sure the motherboard standoffs are long enough, as in make sure the the mobo isn't physically touching the mobo tray at all. Could be an exposed wire that is shorting something as well.

Please help

I was on my computer today when it randomly powered down. I hit the power switch to turn it back on. It posted then came up with the screen press f1 to enter setup. I thought it was strange. Just before I went to press f1 my computer shut down again. Now when I press the power switch the fans, drives and bitfenix lights turn on (it looks like everything turns on) but the motherboard led readout does not light up nor does the board post. The monitor doesn't turn on either. This issue happened once before (when the pc was off) I reseated the 24 pin and then it started up fine. However that isn't fixing the issue now. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if my motherboard is dead. Should I clear CMOS? (There was no overclock on it) I'm really lost and worried any help would be much appreciated. The start and reset buttons light up as well as a yellow/orange light near the bottom-middle of the motherboard. When I press the start button on the motherboard nothing happens. When I press the power button on the case everything turns except the motherboard. Please help I'm really worried. (Pc is about 8 months old)

System specs:

Motherboard: asus rampage iv extreme

CPU: intel 3930k

Graphics card: evga gtx 680

Ram: 16gb coarser vengeance ram ddr3 1600mhz

Sound card: asus sonar essence stx

Psu: corsair ax850

Hard drive: sea gate barracuda 7200rpm 2tb

SSD:intel 520 series 120gb

Optical drive: asus oem

Case: fractal design define r4

CPU cooler: corsair h100

Clear CMOS to start. See if that helps.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Make sure all the mobo power cables are in good (24 pin and CPU 8pin) also make sure the RAM is fully inserted.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Use Asus Bios flashback usb port 

Interested in Business and Technology

The Rampage IV extreme has Asus's QLED feature which check whats not working on the board. If you can't find them look in your manual. They are located near the 24-pin. If the CPU LED ends up being lit up the CPU is whats causes the problem. DRAM = RAM VGA = Graphics card, and so on.  

OK I got my board to post. I took of both panels and unplugged my hard rive to see if that was an issue. I pressed power and the computer turned on and posted and fujlly went into winows no problem. Here is where it gets interesting. I went to put my back panel back on while the pc was on, and then BAM my computer shut off. I went to turn it back on and ran into the original issue. I then took the back panel off and turned the pc on again and it booted fine. It told me that Asus had detected a power surge and had some sort of protection to stop it from booting. Then i ran hit f1 and loaded optimized defaults, saved and exited. So the computer works fine but when I put the back panel on it doesn't. Any thoughts? I'm really confused. Thanks for all the help

OK I got my board to post. I took of both panels and unplugged my hard rive to see if that was an issue. I pressed power and the computer turned on and posted and fujlly went into winows no problem. Here is where it gets interesting. I went to put my back panel back on while the pc was on, and then BAM my computer shut off. I went to turn it back on and ran into the original issue. I then took the back panel off and turned the pc on again and it booted fine. It told me that Asus had detected a power surge and had some sort of protection to stop it from booting. Then i ran hit f1 and loaded optimized defaults, saved and exited. So the computer works fine but when I put the back panel on it doesn't. Any thoughts? I'm really confused. Thanks for all the help

I think it's your PSU power cable in the back. Make sure it's firmly connected, you're probably moving it.

Something is shorting from the back of the case to the board. Make sure the motherboard standoffs are long enough, as in make sure the the mobo isn't physically touching the mobo tray at all. Could be an exposed wire that is shorting something as well.

I'm pretty sure the standoffs are ok. I used the ones that came with the case so I'm assuming they are long enough and that the board isn't touching. The board is sitting just fine in the io shield and all 9 screws are going through where solder is. I don't think there is any exposed metal on my cables. I had to mount the h100 radiator oddly on the top because I couldn't fit it in the front of the case because of the extra pcb on the rive. Because of the way it is mounted it is putting some force on the CPU 8 pin. Could that be the issue?

It's possible. Really can't be sure without looking at it in person though. Just make sure nothing is touching anything it doesn't look like should be touching. Make sure the wires all have some slack (such as the CPU 8 pin). Not really sure man. Just mess around with it, if it works fine with case panel off, you should be able to get it to boot fine.

Thank you all for your input. I looked closer and noticed that the 8pin cable as well as the molex connector for the pump on the 100 were directly touching the back of the motherboard where the metal behind the cpu is. I thought that may be the issue even though no metal was exposed. I strapped the cables away from the back and put the side panel back on. Computer works perfectly now. Thank you so much for all of your help! and Thank you for making this forum awesome!

Good call on checking those wires. Glad it all worked!