2015 Rig Upgrade Help

Hello, I could use some help picking out what components to upgrade for my next build! No budget really, but hopefully below $1500 if not $1000. I'll take any aftermarket cooling advice for the case and cpu too! I have no RGB 😞

Current Build:
  • Corsair Air 540 with stock fans
  • Intel Skylake 6700k with the stock CPU cooler
  • Asus z170 pro gaming
  • Gskill F4-3000C15-GVRB 32gb DDR4
  • Two 1TB WD Blue HDD
  • Samsung Evo 850 Pro 512GB Boot Drive
  • EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0
  • Unsure what PSU I have but I believe its 850w
I haven't touched a single component on my PC since 2015 or around there. I want to upgrade what I currently have but don't know which parts are okay for now and which aren't. I am definitely an Nvidia and Intel fanboy. So I would like to stick with them. I plan on upgrading to a 3080 but am waiting to see if they announce a 20gb model. I also am running on a 60hz 1080p monitor which I plan on upgrading to a 144hz 1440p one soon! Don't want to build a brand new rig, merely touch up my old one. 

Stock fans for the case are fine. If you want more airflow get a 5 pack of arctic p12 pr p14s (depends on how and where you want to change fans) or f12/f14s and call it a day.

For cooler on the cpu a sycthe fuma 2 or ninja 5 is more than plenty.

For 1440p a 3070 is probably going to be plenty but get what you want.

Also with the new cooler you can oc the 6700k if you want some more fps.

We do need to know the psu as that is very important in if you can even get a 3080.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Stock fans for the case are fine. If you want more airflow get a 5 pack of arctic p12 pr p14s (depends on how and where you want to change fans) or f12/f14s and call it a day.

For cooler on the cpu a sycthe fuma 2 or ninja 5 is more than plenty.

For 1440p a 3070 is probably going to be plenty but get what you want.

Also with the new cooler you can oc the 6700k if you want some more fps.

We do need to know the psu as that is very important in if you can even get a 3080.

Do you think my CPU is fine for now? And that might be true, but if I get a 3070 do you think it would be another 5 years before I’d ”need” to upgrade again? I just like room to max out my games if I want to. And play on my 4k tv if I want to. And idk if I could do that with a 3070. And if I were to get a 3080 wouldn't I be better off waiting to see a 20gb release? Or should I nab one as soon as I can before they’re gone again?

21 minutes ago, Mikeigander said:

Do you think my CPU is fine for now? And that might be true, but if I get a 3070 do you think it would be another 5 years before I’d ”need” to upgrade again? I just like room to max out my games if I want to. And play on my 4k tv if I want to. And idk if I could do that with a 3070. And if I were to get a 3080 wouldn't I be better off waiting to see a 20gb release? Or should I nab one as soon as I can before they’re gone again?

You can't max out games on a 970 or even the back then best 980ti at 1080p anymore. 5 years for a gpu is a LONG time no gpu as of yet has held on to max settings 1080p for 5 years as of now.

That and the new consoles are launching in weeks. Those are gonna up the specs for games a lot in the next 1-2 years. 4k 60fps will happen for a while but in 2-3 years its for sure gonna be a low settings 4k at best.

20gb 3080 seems pointless. It's not gonna be a high end 4k card for long enough anyways.

28 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can't max out games on a 970 or even the back then best 980ti at 1080p anymore. 5 years for a gpu is a LONG time no gpu as of yet has held on to max settings 1080p for 5 years as of now.

That and the new consoles are launching in weeks. Those are gonna up the specs for games a lot in the next 1-2 years. 4k 60fps will happen for a while but in 2-3 years its for sure gonna be a low settings 4k at best.

20gb 3080 seems pointless. It's not gonna be a high end 4k card for long enough anyways.

That's true man, didn't think about that. Anything is leaps and bounds better than what I currently have. I'm excited to be a giddy teenager getting my box from newegg again lmao 😂 

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You don't think there would be any bottleneck ?

8 minutes ago, Mikeigander said:

You don't think there would be any bottleneck ?

There will be one somewhere sure. But like the higher the res you go the more it's your gpu so really don't worry about it too much as long as you are getting over your fps of the monitor.