Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neilson

Ryzen 5 3600 boost clock / "idle"

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello community,

 

I would like to ask something about R5 3600. When I got chrome open (like 20 tabs open) and watching videos even when the PC idles it idles at 4.00 ish GHz (according to task manager, in ryzen masters 862 MhZ).

The temperatures are most likely fine. 38°C with chrome open. (While typing this the temps are 50°C and CPU Clock Speed - Current 1800 Mhz - still got chrome open.)

While I use CPU-Z and stress the CPU it won´t go over 4 GHz (even in Ryzen Master - 3 900 MHZ while stress test). 

 

It wouldn´t change if i go on AMD Ryzen Balanced and setting the minimum consumption of CPU to 5% - it remains the same. Also using default option in RM change nothing.

 

I would like to ask if that´s normal behaviour or not. I´m not 100% sure, read a lot of topics on the internet etc. I´m not plannig to OC the CPU and I never done that by manual.

 

I´m using:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H rev. 1.0 MOBO,

SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012 Cooler (just this one).

 

If you have any suggestions/tips/notes feel free to reply.

 

Thank you for the answers

 

Best regards

 

Tomas

ryzen_stress_test.png

ryzen4_01.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's normal for the CPU to adjust its frequency based on the load, and it will boost a single core to 4.2Ghz if needed, but once you stress all cores it will clock all of them at 3.9Ghz, you can see a better representation of each core boost clock in HWiNFO

 

Basically your CPU is behaving exactly as designed.


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It's normal for the CPU to adjust its frequency based on the load, and it will boost a single core to 4.2Ghz if needed, but once you stress all cores it will clock all of them at 3.9Ghz, you can see a better representation of each core boost clock in HWiNFO

 

Basically your CPU is behaving exactly as designed.

I´m including both "idle" and stress readings from HWiNFO. 

 

So, basically it´s all normal if I got your answer right.

hw_idle.png

hw_stress.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neilson said:

I´m including both "idle" and stress readings from HWiNFO. 

 

So, basically it´s all normal if I got your answer right.

You can run HWiNFO in "Sensors-only" mode to get rid of all the clutter, but yeah 3.9Ghz is what is expected when you stress all cores, but it should boost to 4.2Ghz on a single core when you're running single threaded programs, everything else inbetween those 2 frequencies would depend on the load of the CPU


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Syn. said:

You can run HWiNFO in "Sensors-only" mode to get rid of all the clutter, but yeah 3.9Ghz is what is expected when you stress all cores, but it should boost to 4.2Ghz on a single core when you're running single threaded programs, everything else inbetween those 2 frequencies would depend on the load of the CPU

If you had your Power Plan on Balanced mode there would be a larger range of frequencies from 0.8Ghz to 4.2Ghz (for your CPU), the High Performance Plan is clocking the cores in unison and tries to keep them as high as possible, which is preferred for a more consistent performance.


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Neilson said:

Hello community,

 

I would like to ask something about R5 3600. When I got chrome open (like 20 tabs open) and watching videos even when the PC idles it idles at 4.00 ish GHz (according to task manager, in ryzen masters 862 MhZ).

The temperatures are most likely fine. 38°C with chrome open. (While typing this the temps are 50°C and CPU Clock Speed - Current 1800 Mhz - still got chrome open.)

While I use CPU-Z and stress the CPU it won´t go over 4 GHz (even in Ryzen Master - 3 900 MHZ while stress test). 

 

It wouldn´t change if i go on AMD Ryzen Balanced and setting the minimum consumption of CPU to 5% - it remains the same. Also using default option in RM change nothing.

 

I would like to ask if that´s normal behaviour or not. I´m not 100% sure, read a lot of topics on the internet etc. I´m not plannig to OC the CPU and I never done that by manual.

 

I´m using:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H rev. 1.0 MOBO,

SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012 Cooler (just this one).

 

If you have any suggestions/tips/notes feel free to reply.

 

Thank you for the answers

 

Best regards

 

Tomas

ryzen_stress_test.png

ryzen4_01.png

Now correct me if I'm wrong... but does Ryzen Master have Auto OC on? That would kick it into OC mode, I assume, which locks out the boosting behaviours.

 

Note... Ryzen's save power more through sleep states than downclocking. The 862 MHz is an "effective" speed, not a physical speed.

 

As far as the behaviour, it seems totally normal. All-core boosts are always lower than single bursts.

 


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Using Cinebench R20 for single core (AMD Balanced) and never reached the 4,2 - 4,3 Ghz. Sitting solid at 4.01 (in Ryzen master and task manager).

Also tried in AMD Performance and the results are the same. Solid 4.01 Ghz

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Neilson said:

Using Cinebench R20 for single core (AMD Balanced) and never reached the 4,2 - 4,3 Ghz. Sitting solid at 4.01 (in Ryzen master and task manager).

Also tried in AMD Performance and the results are the same. Solid 4.01 Ghz

Check HWiNFO if you want to see the single core that's boosting to 4.2Ghz, not all of them will


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, Syn. said:

Check HWiNFO if you want to see the single core that's boosting to 4.2Ghz, not all of them will

Nope. None of them running cinebench R20.

hw_stress_sen.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×