Help needed!

Hello,

First time here, apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

I would like to reduce my build to a smaller form factor, for the smallest cost and would appreciate suggestions on how to achieve this. I'm hoping a new motherboard and case shoudl do the trick? Ideally, I'd like to keep the optical audio out too.

It's been quite a while since I built the pc, so I'm really not sure what products are available, or even if they're available anymore - current build:

NZXT S340 case,

Skylake, i7 6700k

8gb corsair ddr4 lpx @ 3000mhz

ASRock Z170 Extreme4

Radeon RTX 480 4GB (sorry)

2 x 1TB HDD

1 x 256GB m2 SSD (Crucial_CT275MX300SSD4) 

Cooler master hyper 212

EVGA Supernova 650 W G1 Gold 80 Plus Modular Power Supply Unit

A Wifi card of unknown manufacturer.

Any help appreciated!

edit: added cooler and PSU

Edited by gangly_dad
added cooler and PSU

5 minutes ago, gangly_dad said:

Hello,

First time here, apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

I would like to reduce my build to a smaller form factor, for the smallest cost and would appreciate suggestions on how to achieve this. I'm hoping a new motherboard and case shoudl do the trick? Ideally, I'd like to keep the optical audio out too.

It's been quite a while since I built the pc, so I'm really not sure what products are available, or even if they're available anymore - current build:

NZXT S340 case,

Skylake, i7 6700k

8gb corsair ddr4 lpx @ 3000mhz

ASRock Z170 Extreme4

Radeon RTX 480 4GB (sorry)

2 x 1TB HDD

1 x 256GB m2 SSD (Crucial_CT275MX300SSD4) 

A Wifi card of unknown manufacturer.

Any help appreciated!

what do you use the PC for? i would get a new mobo, cpu and case (not sure about good m-atx cases) probably could do with a new gpu to a 570 or 580 would be your best option for cheap. 

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

3 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

what do you use the PC for? i would get a new mobo, cpu and case (not sure about good m-atx cases) probably could do with a new gpu to a 570 or 580 would be your best option for cheap. 

if your using for gaming i would get a 3100 and then wait a couple of weeks for b550 and have a look at mobo prices then.

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Thanks for the quick response, I use the PC for work - development & data science, as well as the usual productivity and the odd bit of media streaming. I do most of the data science work on cloud so local compute is not a huge concern. I use docker and VMs quite a bit too. I don't play as many games as I used to, the last big title I bought was forza horizon 3 which runs good enough for me on this hardware, I can;t see myself buying anything more demanding.

8 minutes ago, gangly_dad said:

Thanks for the quick response, I use the PC for work - development & data science, as well as the usual productivity and the odd bit of media streaming. I do most of the data science work on cloud so local compute is not a huge concern. I use docker and VMs quite a bit too. I don't play as many games as I used to, the last big title I bought was forza horizon 3 which runs good enough for me on this hardware, I can;t see myself buying anything more demanding.

ok you should be good without a gpu and cpu upgrade then and mobo should be good if you dont feel you need anymore performance. i would just get a new case then i have heard good things about this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M2UKGSM/?tag=elitgamicomp-21

(make sure you quote us so we get notified of your reply) :)

14 minutes ago, gangly_dad said:

actually i dont think that mobo is small enough if so you need to get a new one. 

5 minutes ago, gangly_dad said:

Thanks for the quote tip!

are the newer motherboards backwards compatible with my hardware?

Just now, Ed-petit said:

actually i dont think that mobo is small enough if so you need to get a new one. 

4 minutes ago, gangly_dad said:

they should be fine just double check when buying.