Replacing a power supply

mutazoid

Im looking to replace my HP A6000 desktop power supply and give to my dad for his websurfing.

More specifically the power supply is:  Bestec ATX-300-12Z

Two questions.

1.  I know nothing about power supplies.  What kind of standards should I be looking for?

I can I replace with the same from Newegg, I just wonder if I can get better for cheaper.

2.  Is a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ CPU and boasts 1 GB of RAM, a 250 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive spec system still worth getting for surfing web?

Any advice much appreciated :)

7 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

Is a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ CPU and boasts 1 GB of RAM, a 250 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive spec system still worth getting for surfing web?

No.

Do they have a smart phone? Use that for browsing the internet. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 you should have a enough wattage to power the system

2 the system will be fine exept for the ram i think you should upgrade to 4gb, i have tried to run chrome on a 1gb of ram and it just freeze, and if you only have 1gb of ram it will slow down alot because the system doesnt have enough ram

good news I mucked up and copied the wrong specs for the system.  It has 3gs of ram and I totally agree 1 wouldnt be enough.

I just dont know the cpu very well.

I typed the power supply model in right off the sticker ;) so that should be fine,  except for it being dead.

55 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

Any advice much appreciated :)

the money spent one a decent powersupply is better spent on an old dell optiplex. (you can get them for like 100$)

which:

1. has a decent powersupply
  2. will offer a better experience. 

otherwise look at other options.