My Mysterious CPU Usage (Help!)

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

Lots of laptops with Intel CPUs have throttling issues. Try using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. That is typically why CPUs get stuck at 0.79 GHz. Post lots of pics if you are still having problems.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Hey all, Laptop user here. (Acer Nitro 5). I've been using this laptop for quite some time with absolutely no problems whatsoever. But, beginning from November of 2019, I realized I would get stutters in EVERY game I would play. It didn't show at first, cause I was only lagging on Fortnite, but I started lagging on Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, and even THE FIRST HALF-LIFE! How is that even possible? The more computer intensive the game was, the longer the stutters would be. At first I just lived with it, but it's seriously getting out of hand. The stutters are really annoying. I fired up Task Manager and went to my CPU and GPU usage, and my GPU was just fine, and, my CPU would be totally fine, but once the stutters kicked in, it just INSTANTLY capped itself at 0.79 GHZ! This just happens at random, and the stutters can last from up to 3 seconds to 1 MINUTE! Why is that??? I now know the problem, but I don't know a solution! Also, as a bonus, Fortnite only uses 2.20 GHZ of my CPU, and keeps itself capped at that! It's like it just doesn't want to use more than 2.20 GHZ... Please help!image.png.c8f79269990ad82efa259abd9ce7225d.png

3 minutes ago, vetris said:

Hey all, Laptop user here. (Acer Nitro 5). I've been using this laptop for quite some time with absolutely no problems whatsoever. But, beginning from November of 2019, I realized I would get stutters in EVERY game I would play. It didn't show at first, cause I was only lagging on Fortnite, but I started lagging on Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, and even THE FIRST HALF-LIFE! How is that even possible? The more computer intensive the game was, the longer the stutters would be. At first I just lived with it, but it's seriously getting out of hand. The stutters are really annoying. I fired up Task Manager and went to my CPU and GPU usage, and my GPU was just fine, and, my CPU would be totally fine, but once the stutters kicked in, it just INSTANTLY capped itself at 0.79 GHZ! This just happens at random, and the stutters can last from up to 3 seconds to 1 MINUTE! Why is that??? I now know the problem, but I don't know a solution! Also, as a bonus, Fortnite only uses 2.20 GHZ of my CPU, and keeps itself capped at that! It's like it just doesn't want to use more than 2.20 GHZ... Please help!image.png.c8f79269990ad82efa259abd9ce7225d.png

What is your CPU temps when this happens? Sounds like thermal throttling.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Use HWMonitor to monitor temperatures, great software that is FREE to use. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Hey all,

Glad to say, unclewebb's solution to this problem... WORKED! I can't thank you enough! Although, Fortnite (one of my most played games), still is suffering from magically being capped at 2.20 GHz (coincidentally my CPU's base clock speed), and is for some reason the ONLY game to suffer from this weird... bug. This has quite an effect on the FPS, though, so could you kindly show me a solution to fix that? 

(edit: it also seems to be using a lot less CPU than normal.. weird. like, around 1.7 GHz.. what?)

Sincerely,

V

(I know it doesn't say 2.20 GHz here, but I ASSURE you it wasn't going higher than that.)*

image.png.bd2464650ad4138065759ec6be791875.png