DisplayPort via Thunderbolt concerns

Hi there,

I've been saving money to buy a new powerful laptop I can bring to work without worrying about battery life or weight destroying my back during my daily commute. I'm thinking about buying a MSI GS66 Stealth when they come out later this month (or maybe next month due to recent events).

But here comes my main concern, one of my criteria is having a Thunderbolt 3 port to be able to plug just one cable when I come home and have a G-SYNC display, Ethernet and eventually a dongle for a keyboard or something else over USB. 

The thing is, after reading multiple threads on multiple forums I still have one big question

How to know if the Thunderbolt port is connected to the iGPU (Intel integrated graphics) or dGPU (Nvidia GPU of some sort) before making a purchase?

It seems like laptop manufacturers don't give clear info on which output is connected to which GPU and I find this quite stupid because it's an important criteria for gamers or even content creators !

The only info I could found about the GS66 is the spec page on MSIs Website https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS66-Stealth-10SX/Specification

image.png.db7a89c847207657d84e2ec4351444ef.png

As you can see, on the MSI GS66 one port is compatible with Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort (what version MSI plz???) and even PD charging which could mean that if the DisplayPort output is connected to the Nvidia GPU I could even not bother with the AC cable 😁

If anyone has and idea on how I can find these infos before I make my purchase to avoid returning it coz it's not compatible with my G-SYNC display (or freesync display, i'm still not sure on what display to buy the only thing i know is i want a 1444*3440 display with some sort of adaptive sync and high refresh rate (at least 120hz)).

have a nice day, stay safe and remember sleeping at night 🤪

NB: I'm open for other laptops and displays suggestions !

10 minutes ago, babar1997 said:

Hi there,

I've been saving money to buy a new powerful laptop I can bring to work without worrying about battery life or weight destroying my back during my daily commute. I'm thinking about buying a MSI GS66 Stealth when they come out later this month (or maybe next month due to recent events).

But here comes my main concern, one of my criteria is having a Thunderbolt 3 port to be able to plug just one cable when I come home and have a G-SYNC display, Ethernet and eventually a dongle for a keyboard or something else over USB. 

The thing is, after reading multiple threads on multiple forums I still have one big question

How to know if the Thunderbolt port is connected to the iGPU (Intel integrated graphics) or dGPU (Nvidia GPU of some sort) before making a purchase?

It seems like laptop manufacturers don't give clear info on which output is connected to which GPU and I find this quite stupid because it's an important criteria for gamers or even content creators !

The only info I could found about the GS66 is the spec page on MSIs Website https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS66-Stealth-10SX/Specification

image.png.db7a89c847207657d84e2ec4351444ef.png

As you can see, on the MSI GS66 one port is compatible with Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort (what version MSI plz???) and even PD charging which could mean that if the DisplayPort output is connected to the Nvidia GPU I could even not bother with the AC cable 😁

If anyone has and idea on how I can find these infos before I make my purchase to avoid returning it coz it's not compatible with my G-SYNC display (or freesync display, i'm still not sure on what display to buy the only thing i know is i want a 1444*3440 display with some sort of adaptive sync and high refresh rate (at least 120hz)).

have a nice day, stay safe and remember sleeping at night 🤪

NB: I'm open for other laptops and displays suggestions !

Thunderbolt is normally connected to both gpu's. Also wait for a review to see what version is what and if this laptop has an issue.

Sounds like your asking a lot of the laptop to run that big of a display.  See what the resolution and hz of the laptop screen is.  Get a monitor with those numbers to be sure your not going to hurt your laptop or get poor performance.

There is no right or wrong... only popular opinion, political correctness, and government edict.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Thunderbolt is normally connected to both gpu's. Also wait for a review to see what version is what and if this laptop has an issue.

Where did you get that info ? Because from what I've read they're controlled by one or the other but not by both! Which makes sense to me. 😉

Yes I'll wait for the Linus (and others) review to come out before I make my purchase decision of course !

2 hours ago, Anus_McSphincter said:

Sounds like your asking a lot of the laptop to run that big of a display.  See what the resolution and hz of the laptop screen is.  Get a monitor with those numbers to be sure your not going to hurt your laptop or get poor performance.

If the 2070 can manage running a 300 Hz Full HD display on any game with details on Ultra I'm pretty sure it can run at 120 Hz on a UWQHD ! And more so on my Cooling Pad 😁

53 minutes ago, babar1997 said:

Where did you get that info ? Because from what I've read they're controlled by one or the other but not by both! Which makes sense to me. 😉

Yes I'll wait for the Linus (and others) review to come out before I make my purchase decision of course !

If the 2070 can manage running a 300 Hz Full HD display on any game with details on Ultra I'm pretty sure it can run at 120 Hz on a UWQHD ! And more so on my Cooling Pad 😁

A 2070 will be fine running a 120hz 1440p screen however 300fps is only possible at ultra at 1080p in games like cs:go not something like the new doom.