Need Help Backing up Photos from an iPhone 7 to a PC

Hello guys,

I recently bought a used iPhone 7 from a friend of mine, and he's willing to let me pay the phone for 210 USD or 200 USD if I'm willing to back up all of his photos from the iPhone to his external hard drive before I can reset the phone. So for the sake of 10 dollars and thought it would be an easy job, I'm willing to do it. Unfortunately, right now I'm encountering a bit of a trouble right now. So I never have actually used an Apple device ever (This is my first time, pretty much a newbie) and my way of backing up all of my friend's photos was to plug it in to my PC. Then, I copied and pasted all of the photos from the phone into his Hard drive, but it always error and stopped in the middle of the copying (tried doing it again 3 times, same thing always happened). After a bit of trying to figure out what was causing all this, I noticed that some of the photos can't be viewed and those photos are the ones that caused the error (i'm assuming those photos are corrupted?). So I have to manually search for the "corrupted" photos and simply skips those photos. But then, I can't simply do that as my friend has a total of 3873 photos on his phone. That's way too much!

So my question is :

Is there any solution to this like some kind of alternatives (some kind of a backup software or something) or some sort? I've done some research and found that iTunes could back up those photos. I've tried it but the result of the backup doesn't seem to have the photos?

I hope someone could help me with this. It's really frustrating to not be able to enjoy a new phone just because of some tiny problems that made it a lot harder.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, NotAPCExpert said:

Hello guys,

I recently bought a used iPhone 7 from a friend of mine, and he's willing to let me pay the phone for 210 USD or 200 USD if I'm willing to back up all of his photos from the iPhone to his external hard drive before I can reset the phone. So for the sake of 10 dollars and thought it would be an easy job, I'm willing to do it. Unfortunately, right now I'm encountering a bit of a trouble right now. So I never have actually used an Apple device ever (This is my first time, pretty much a newbie) and my way of backing up all of my friend's photos was to plug it in to my PC. Then, I copied and pasted all of the photos from the phone into his Hard drive, but it always error and stopped in the middle of the copying (tried doing it again 3 times, same thing always happened). After a bit of trying to figure out what was causing all this, I noticed that some of the photos can't be viewed and those photos are the ones that caused the error (i'm assuming those photos are corrupted?). So I have to manually search for the "corrupted" photos and simply skips those photos. But then, I can't simply do that as my friend has a total of 3873 photos on his phone. That's way too much!

So my question is :

Is there any solution to this like some kind of alternatives (some kind of a backup software or something) or some sort? I've done some research and found that iTunes could back up those photos. I've tried it but the result of the backup doesn't seem to have the photos?

I hope someone could help me with this. It's really frustrating to not be able to enjoy a new phone just because of some tiny problems that made it a lot harder.

Thanks.

Have you tried installing Google Photos, backing them up to the cloud and then saving them all on the PC?  There will be some very slight compression if you don't have enough space to back them up unaltered, but that's an option.  Hell, Google Photos might be a good thing to try even if you ultimately use another backup solution, since that way you'll have a failsafe if anything goes south.

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

Have you tried installing Google Photos, backing them up to the cloud and then saving them all on the PC?  There will be some very slight compression if you don't have enough space to back them up unaltered, but that's an option.  Hell, Google Photos might be a good thing to try even if you ultimately use another backup solution, since that way you'll have a failsafe if anything goes south.

I didn't think clouds would be the answer as most of their service are only around 5 GB for the free version. But wow Google Photos actually offers unlimited storage! I'm currently backing up all of the photos to the Google Photos' cloud right now. it will take some time and I'm fine with that.

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. :) 

21 hours ago, NotAPCExpert said:

Hello guys,

So my question is :

Thanks.

You can treat the iPhone as a camera, plug it in and it'll come up as a camera would, open it up, copy and paste. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?