Gaming Server Home Hosted Connectivity

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Just login as a root / admin user, or the user running the app, the apps would still be running in the background.

Hello everyone,
I just bought an Intel NUC 8 i5 quad core with 16gb ram, to use as a home hosting pc for a pair of game servers. This is my first time setting up a server and I needed some tips!
Actually what I need to know what it's best for me to remote control it with my windows 10 laptop or desktop pc.
I plan to get Win10 for the NUC too, and maybe connect vie Remote Desktop Connection, but wouldn't that stop my game servers from running due to the logoff thing?
I could use Teamviewer but I was kinda hoping in a more built-in option.
Any suggestions?

Sry if my doubts feel nooby, but that's what I am.

Just login as a root / admin user, or the user running the app, the apps would still be running in the background.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On one of my servers I use VMware vSphere to create virtual machines to run game servers which allows me to remote control each virtual desktop and limit RAM usage, storage space, etc. for each.

On another server I run Windows 7 and use Google's Remote Desktop application to manage it, I used to use TeamViewer but they thought I was using it for true commercial purposes so disabled my account. WIndows built in remote desktop isn't a bad choice either. Always pros and cons of each, just weigh what works best for you and what you're most comfortable using.

911 Dispatcher at work..

PC Gamer when home..

4 minutes ago, Durake said:

On one of my servers I use VMware vSphere to create virtual machines to run game servers which allows me to remote control each virtual desktop and limit RAM usage, storage space, etc. for each.

On another server I run Windows 7 and use Google's Remote Desktop application to manage it, I used to use TeamViewer but they thought I was using it for true commercial purposes so disabled my account. WIndows built in remote desktop isn't a bad choice either. Always pros and cons of each, just weigh what works best for you and what you're most comfortable using.

Or you could be a pro and setup SSH services XD

I sometimes use SSH services just for launching the servers.

But I manage them using FTP and Visual Studio.

1 minute ago, YoFavRussian said:

I don't wanna derail the thread but my friend tried to get me into SSH by means of a Raspberry Pi and my brain has the hardest time with that. I really don't understand why. I try my best but always end up asking the same questions. I know how to login and that's about it lol.

911 Dispatcher at work..

PC Gamer when home..

2 minutes ago, Durake said:

I don't wanna derail the thread but my friend tried to get me into SSH by means of a Raspberry Pi and my brain has the hardest time with that. I really don't understand why. I try my best but always end up asking the same questions. I know how to login and that's about it lol.

Once ya log in it's essentially just using the CLI on the machine that you SSHd into.

8 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Meh, ssh is good for linux not windows. Typing is time consuming. For local network RDP is the best.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Meh, ssh is good for linux not windows. Typing is time consuming. For local network RDP is the best.

I can agree, I mainly just use RDP for that, but I have a Linux machine for the servers I can run on Linux.

2 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I can agree, I mainly just use RDP for that, but I have a Linux machine for the servers I can run on Linux.

I hate typing, if i have enough ram, i will install a web gui.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I hate typing, if i have enough ram, i will install a web gui.

I don't blame you, it's not for everyone, but after working with Cisco stuff for a year I got proficient at CLI.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

So it lets me login as an already (locally on the server) logged in user that's running tasks, without forcing him to logout and terminate the tasks? And also it leaves the user account opened and running when I logoff remotely?
Really I have no idea of this but I kinda can't test that at the moment and it sounds strange to me though.

59 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I like the idea of having just a text interface, but it's way too advanced for me atm, I will test it out in future though!

If you log the current user, the pc would just show the lock screen while you logged in remotely. just try it.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you log the current user, the pc would just show the lock screen while you logged in remotely. just try it.

Okay, thank you! I'll test as soon as my little server gets delivered!