[Help] upgrading SATA HDD to SSD

Hi

I own gl502vy and asus gaming laptop and I wanted to upgraded it's 1TB HDD to 1TB ssd.
and it's doesn't boot anymore.

it's still boots with the HDD and with SATA place empty.

but not with SSD

I tested SSD separately to check if it's broken or not and it's fine. 
the ssd model is 860 QVO.
what did I missed that this upgrade wont work ??

P.S: I even tried to boot it with only sata ssd and still wont post.

Check your boot order in bios. If it wasn't originally configured for this, it wont change on it's own. Assuming you did the rest correctly.

Also it sounds like you have multiple ports for storage, do i have this right? 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

Check your boot order in bios. If it wasn't originally configured for this, it wont change on it's own. Assuming you did the rest correctly.

funny thing
wont get me to bios when ssd is installed ?

8 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

yes I have one m.2 support that recently upgrade it to 1 TB nvme storage

With the new SSD installed, try rebooting while tapping f12 to see if you can access the boot menu directly. If you can, try forcing the system to boot from your new SSD. If you are able to force the system to boot from the new SSD and Windows does not launch, then the boot sector on your new SSD is corrupt or missing, and would like need a new re-imagine from the old HDD.

1 minute ago, AaronThomas said:

With the new SSD installed, try rebooting while tapping f12 to see if you can access the boot menu directly.

It sounds like he can't, but yes. Try this @MORSE9877

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Yeah, if the system doesn't post with the SSD attached, then I'd try to get the SSD replaced.

4 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

Yeah, if the system doesn't post with the SSD attached, then I'd try to get the SSD replaced.

the system wont post
the boot menu comes with Esc without SSD and does nothing with SSD inserted
I seriously don't know what to do!!!
I contacted asus but they refuse to answer remotely
and I contacted the best buy geek squid and they only tried to make me get their subscription 
and other ROG laptops with the same year as mine have same problem fixed with bios downgrades or upgrades which I have tried both
but nothing.
I need help from asus if it's a bios problem and I would be really thankful if anyone help me solving this issue 

Not trying to make you sound stupid, but have you installed windows onto the new drive? Or cloned your old drive onto your new one? Macrium Reflect has a free version that i used to clone my HDD to a new one, no problem. If you want to clone the drive you'll need a 2.5" to usb adapter cable - you can get one off amazon for about $10-15. If you want to install windows on the new drive, you'll need a 16 GB flash drive to make a windows media creation tool. Plenty of videos online that'll show you how. If it won't boot into bios, try hard stopping it by holding down the power button when it won't boot into bios. Wait a few seconds and turn it on again, and it should boot into bios as a software safety feature. 

I had a similar  problem during a fresh install of windows on my desktop. If I had the media creation tool in, I would get a black screen and a boot error, and couldn't get into bios on my ASUS motherboard. Here's what I did:

1. Insert media creation tool and boot up.
  2. When it fails to boot, hard stop by holding power button, then wait ten seconds after it turned off.
  3. Turn on again. Press F1 when presented with the American Megatrends page (or whatever key it tells you to press to get into bios)
  4. Go to the boot settings and either boot directly from the media creation tool (The only 16 GB drive detected) or move it to the top of the boot order. 
  5. Exit the bios saving changes.

That should get you to the media creation tool, which will let you install windows on the thing

Just now, AaronThomas said:

the SSD is brand new and my NVME has image to boot.
when I plug SATA SSD the hole system won't post and when it is the old hard or empty it boots.
and I used USB 2 to SATA and the SSD was fine and I initialize it and format it to NTFS to make sure its working properly.

5 minutes ago, HagelBagel said:

Not trying to make you sound stupid, but have you installed windows onto the new drive? Or cloned your old drive onto your new one? Macrium Reflect has a free version that i used to clone my HDD to a new one, no problem. If you want to clone the drive you'll need a 2.5" to usb adapter cable - you can get one off amazon for about $10-15. If you want to install windows on the new drive, you'll need a 16 GB flash drive to make a windows media creation tool. Plenty of videos online that'll show you how. If it won't boot into bios, try hard stopping it by holding down the power button when it won't boot into bios. Wait a few seconds and turn it on again, and it should boot into bios as a software safety feature. 

I had a similar  problem during a fresh install of windows on my desktop. If I had the media creation tool in, I would get a black screen and a boot error, and couldn't get into bios on my ASUS motherboard. Here's what I did:

1. Insert media creation tool and boot up.
  2. When it fails to boot, hard stop by holding power button, then wait ten seconds after it turned off.
  3. Turn on again. Press F1 when presented with the American Megatrends page (or whatever key it tells you to press to get into bios)
  4. Go to the boot settings and either boot directly from the media creation tool (The only 16 GB drive detected) or move it to the top of the boot order. 
  5. Exit the bios saving changes.

That should get you to the media creation tool, which will let you install windows on the thing

I don't use any imaging tools yet and this SATA SSD is not for boot.
I want to use it for storage.
and my laptop stop posting after installing SATA SSD and I have no clue why.
I just know it does.

with hard drive and NVME boot time is 5 to 10 sec and with SATA SSD and NVME it doesn't boot after 5 or 10 minutes.

13 minutes ago, MORSE9877 said:

I don't use any imaging tools yet and this SATA SSD is not for boot.
I want to use it for storage.
and my laptop stop posting after installing SATA SSD and I have no clue why.
I just know it does.

with hard drive and NVME boot time is 5 to 10 sec and with SATA SSD and NVME it doesn't boot after 5 or 10 minutes.

I would try cloning the drive then and seeing if that helps. If not, I'm wondering if it might be a compatibility issue. 

21 minutes ago, HagelBagel said:

I would try cloning the drive then and seeing if that helps. If not, I'm wondering if it might be a compatibility issue. 

cloning image takes to much time and both of them are SATA III support drives.
what more could make compatibility issue ?