Hot GPU

idwt

hello, my GPU has been getting pretty hot today, up to 77°c (170°f) after just playing GTA5 for 15 mins. 

i know that this is a decently healthy for a Nvidia graphics card, but its over 20% hotter then yesterday. (after an hour of playing its around 15°c (59°f) hotter)

the card is a Zotac 1070 8gb AMP Extreme. it is not currently overclocked, and the fans are on the normal auto setting.

i know its not a terrible temp for under load, its just that its spiked alot since yesterday, the fans are getting pretty loud, and its making my CPU hotter.

the heat is coming from the left side of the card if that means anything.

should i try and re-apply thermal paste? ive never taken a graphics card apart.

the card is also a decently bit dusty but my compressor is in another country (long story), but it wouldnt have got an exessive amount of dust since last night.

what would you guys and girls reccomend? thank you -idwt

Did you play the same game, did room temperature or airflow in the case change? How are the GPUs clocks behaving

But this seems normal and completely fine. Depending on how the card decides to boost and to run the fans this is completely normal. Also depending on the exact scenario you measured the temps in they can also fluctuate.

Dusting it of however wont hurt. I also don't have a compressor, but have sort of a hand pump thingy form the dollar store to blow some air. Also co can use a vacuum, but be CAREFULL! Hold the fans so they don't spinn to much.

Changing TIM also never hurts, but this temperature difference cant be explained by TIM going bad form one day to another.

TL:DR: Its fine, dust it of a bit and done :)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I can't tell where the sudden shift in temperature came from but first make sure that the airflow in your case is good, it could be getting heated up because the fans aren't working and it's just recycling hot air.

If this doesn't work, I recommend taking the GPU apart and reapplying new thermal paste as this actually does increase your performance by alot, but keep in mind that it is voiding your warranty.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Did you play the same game, did room temperature or airflow in the case change? How are the GPUs clocks behaving

But this seems normal and completely fine. Depending on how the card decides to boost and to run the fans this is completely normal. Also depending on the exact scenario you measured the temps in they can also fluctuate.

Dusting it of however wont hurt. I also don't have a compressor, but have sort of a hand pump thingy form the dollar store to blow some air. Also co can use a vacuum, but be CAREFULL! Hold the fans so they don't spinn to much.

Changing TIM also never hurts, but this temperature difference cant be explained by TIM going bad form one day to another.

TL:DR: Its fine, dust it of a bit and done :)

thank you, i will try and use my electric tire pump to get as much of the dust out as i can

Just now, idwt said:

thank you, i will try and use my electric tire pump to get as much of the dust out as i can

Yeha thats perfect. Hold the fans so they dont spinn to much while blowing at ti. And again: No worries those temps are completely normal.

4 minutes ago, 4del said:

I can't tell where the sudden shift in temperature came from but first make sure that the airflow in your case is good, it could be getting heated up because the fans aren't working and it's just recycling hot air.

If this doesn't work, I recommend taking the GPU apart and reapplying new thermal paste as this actually does increase your performance by alot, but keep in mind that it is voiding your warranty.

At least in the US this is not woiding warranty anymore. The stickers on the cards are BS. See GNs coverage about that topic :)

And being a bit careful wont damage the GPU anyway :) 

3 minutes ago, 4del said:

i have a vertical mounted radiator, and the fans are in a pull config and the hot air goes straight under the GPU, but it has been like this for a week or two now, and only today am i having a "problem", 

i have 2 120mm fan spots right underneth the graphics card, and my fan controller still has 4 plugs left. only problem is that the PSU cables are right below where the fans would sit, so airflow wouldnt be great

but thank you for your tips, i will keep them in mind

At least in the US this is not woiding warranty anymore. The stickers on the cards are BS. See GNs coverage about that topic :)

And being a bit careful wont damage the GPU anyway :) 

im in the UK, but its a 2017 card, im more then sure its out of warranty lol

1 minute ago, idwt said:

im in the UK, but its a 2017 card, im more then sure its out of warranty lol

Yeh ok then it doesn’t matter anyway. 

45 minutes ago, idwt said:

hello, my GPU has been getting pretty hot today, up to 77°c (170°f) after just playing GTA5 for 15 mins. 

i know that this is a decently healthy for a Nvidia graphics card, but its over 20% hotter then yesterday. (after an hour of playing its around 15°c (59°f) hotter)

the card is a Zotac 1070 8gb AMP Extreme. it is not currently overclocked, and the fans are on the normal auto setting.

i know its not a terrible temp for under load, its just that its spiked alot since yesterday, the fans are getting pretty loud, and its making my CPU hotter.

the heat is coming from the left side of the card if that means anything.

should i try and re-apply thermal paste? ive never taken a graphics card apart.

the card is also a decently bit dusty but my compressor is in another country (long story), but it wouldnt have got an exessive amount of dust since last night.

what would you guys and girls reccomend? thank you -idwt

Yeah you should replace the thermal paste. 1070's are getting a bit old now so the paste could have dried up already.

2 minutes ago, ZzLy said:

Yeah you should replace the thermal paste. 1070's are getting a bit old now so the paste could have dried up already.

have you got any tips for re-applying thermal paste? ive never opened a GPU before, anything to be careful of?

5 minutes ago, idwt said:

have you got any tips for re-applying thermal paste? ive never opened a GPU before, anything to be careful of?

Nice tutorial from ya BOII Linus:

Use some high quality stuff like Thermal grizzly, NT-H1, MX5 etc.

BUt again, i dont think that will do much. But nevertheless its fun and wont hurt

Nice tutorial from ya BOII Linus:

Use some high quality stuff like Thermal grizzly, NT-H1, MX5 etc.

BUt again, i dont think that will do much. But nevertheless its fun and wont hurt

thank you :) i am going to give it a try tonight, and hopefully i can use the experience as a learning tool, even if i dont grant any performance 

6 minutes ago, idwt said:

thank you :) i am going to give it a try tonight, and hopefully i can use the experience as a learning tool, even if i dont grant any performance 

That video explains it pretty good, but they mention that you need Isaporpyl aclcohol to remove the old paste. This is not necessarily true, if you have it on hand then of coarse you could use it but if you don't have it, it's perfectly fine to just only use a dry wipe. Just keep wiping until it comes back clean. In the video they're demonstrating how to do it on a GTX 960, but your 1070 has a way bigger dye (the main chip) so you need to use more thermal paste. I always manually spread the paste to the edges with something like a business card or a plastic pry tool to make sure that it covers every corner. If it doesn't cover every square millimeter of the dye, it could lead to even worse cooling results.

3 minutes ago, ZzLy said:

That video explains it pretty good, but they mention that you need Isaporpyl aclcohol to remove the old paste. This is not necessarily true, if you have it on hand then of coarse you could use it but if you don't have it, it's perfectly fine to just only use a dry wipe. Just keep wiping until it comes back clean. In the video they're demonstrating how to do it on a GTX 960, but your 1070 has a way bigger dye (the main chip) so you need to use more thermal paste. I always manually spread the paste to the edges with something like a business card or a plastic pry tool to make sure that it covers every corner. If it doesn't cover every square millimeter of the dye, it could lead to even worse cooling results.

thank you very much :)