Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
agmarcos

TV as monitor - help plz

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey all,

 

So I have a new dilemma going on. My current setup consists of a ryzen 5 3800x (no, I got it for the price of 3700x), ex 5700 xt, 16gb ram. And I used to have 3 27"s aand a 24" tilted down from the middle. Recently I wanted to change that for bigger monitors.  I tried 32", 34" UW, and then a 49". I returned all of them but I really liked the 49" as I'm waiting for my refund to hit my amazon account to get the Samsung one (had a viotek but it had some sort of static noise when on) - just dont know if the extra 350+ is worth for 1440p. The viotek was just fine for me. 

 

Anyhow, now that I settled on the 49", i was gonna stack 2 of them but then i decided the cost is just now worth it so I'd rather have a single 49" but with a TV on top. This is where the issue comes as I'm not sure what tv to get. I looked at Samsung's QN55LS03RAFXZA Frame 55-Inch QLED 4K (6ms under 1440p@120hz - rtings), and the Q80R - about the same specs. Now a couple people suggested me LG's C9 (future-proof with HDMI 2.1 etc) and others brought up the new tv/monitor LG is working on, the 48CX. I'll be using this display for well, everything except FPS games. Including trading. What do you guys recommend? Do you use a tv as a second screen? What is it and how has it been for you? Thanks.

 

PS: I'm thinking about putting my 24" (it is a gaming monitor) on a side arm and if I need it to play fps, itll just drop from the side into the middle of my desk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Rxkvn07 said:

i use a tv as second screen for movie theres no problem

Which tv? And I'll be browsing and looking at it for good 2-4hours every day while trading 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, agmarcos said:

Hey all,

 

So I have a new dilemma going on. My current setup consists of a ryzen 5 3800x (no, I got it for the price of 3700x), ex 5700 xt, 16gb ram. And I used to have 3 27"s aand a 24" tilted down from the middle. Recently I wanted to change that for bigger monitors.  I tried 32", 34" UW, and then a 49". I returned all of them but I really liked the 49" as I'm waiting for my refund to hit my amazon account to get the Samsung one (had a viotek but it had some sort of static noise when on) - just dont know if the extra 350+ is worth for 1440p. The viotek was just fine for me. 

 

Anyhow, now that I settled on the 49", i was gonna stack 2 of them but then i decided the cost is just now worth it so I'd rather have a single 49" but with a TV on top. This is where the issue comes as I'm not sure what tv to get. I looked at Samsung's QN55LS03RAFXZA Frame 55-Inch QLED 4K (6ms under 1440p@120hz - rtings), and the Q80R - about the same specs. Now a couple people suggested me LG's C9 (future-proof with HDMI 2.1 etc) and others brought up the new tv/monitor LG is working on, the 48CX. I'll be using this display for well, everything except FPS games. Including trading. What do you guys recommend? Do you use a tv as a second screen? What is it and how has it been for you? Thanks.

 

PS: I'm thinking about putting my 24" (it is a gaming monitor) on a side arm and if I need it to play fps, itll just drop from the side into the middle of my desk.

If u liked the 49" then wait.

 

2020 comes 48" OLED Tv's from LG that support 4k 120hz via HDMI 2.1 with VRR and even BFI.

 

The only caveat is that ull ALSO need a 2020 GPU that has HDMI 2.1 ports.

 

This btw is something i fully plan on doing myself, finally retiring my dying 42" Plasma. Ill also be upgrading my 1080ti which iv only owned for a year, to a 2020 GPU.


CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
55 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

If u liked the 49" then wait.

 

2020 comes 48" OLED Tv's from LG that support 4k 120hz via HDMI 2.1 with VRR and even BFI.

 

The only caveat is that ull ALSO need a 2020 GPU that has HDMI 2.1 ports.

 

This btw is something i fully plan on doing myself, finally retiring my dying 42" Plasma. Ill also be upgrading my 1080ti which iv only owned for a year, to a 2020 GPU.

Well, I was thinking the 49" + the TV above it. As of now, im using a 55" TV because i returned the other ones. but soon I'll be moving my setup to another room but the TV I currently use is not coming. So right now I really only got my 24" as a monitor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 10:50 AM, SolarNova said:

This btw is something i fully plan on doing myself, finally retiring my dying 42" Plasma. 

Were you using the Plasma as a monitor or second screen/TV?  If monitor, how have you avoided burn-in?  I had an older plasma with a big square burned in, but I got it cheap because of that.

 

I've got the LG 55 OLED that does 1440 @ 120Hz (Gsync) and I really like it because I can't hardly read small monitors with bad eyesight, so I am ok it's not full 4k @ 120 (can do 4k 60Hz).  I am slightly concerned about burn-in and that an LCD would last longer, but this is my first run with a TV as monitor and enjoying it so far.  I do get mad at programs that don't allow me to move the HUD around, change the background and icon positions frequently, and set the screen saver at 2 minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DogMetal said:

Were you using the Plasma as a monitor or second screen/TV?  If monitor, how have you avoided burn-in?  I had an older plasma with a big square burned in, but I got it cheap because of that.

 

I've got the LG 55 OLED that does 1440 @ 120Hz (Gsync) and I really like it because I can't hardly read small monitors with bad eyesight, so I am ok it's not full 4k @ 120 (can do 4k 60Hz).  I am slightly concerned about burn-in and that an LCD would last longer, but this is my first run with a TV as monitor and enjoying it so far.  I do get mad at programs that don't allow me to move the HUD around, change the background and icon positions frequently, and set the screen saver at 2 minutes. 

 

Its my primary and only PC display, it was bought for the sole purpose of being my PC display.

 

My Plasma, being now around ~10 years old does have some very slight burn in. Bottom left and bottom right, windows task bar. I didnt look after the screen during its 'break in' period because at the time i didnt know about it.

Not noticeable with normal use, even with a static windows background, but can be seen with solid colors.

This for the most part was only noticed after about 4 years of use.

 

My primary issue with it now however is the 'purple pixel' issue. its hard to explain but the cause is cracked solder joints on capacitors (havnt actually checked myself but the issue is relatively well documented). I havnt bothered fixing it as i have no backup screen in case anything goes wrong. I can somewhat get around the issue buy tweaking the brightness, contrast, and color saturation so it doesnt show up in most content. But its one of the issues that eventual hits old aging dying Plasma TVs.

 

Unlike OLED, Plasma burn-in , like with CRTs, is physical heat damage from static content. However so long as the content isnt left static for many many hours, it is not cumulative like OLED 'burn-in', and thus can be avoided completely.

During the 1st few hundred hours of use as a new Plasma TV is especially susceptible, its the 'break-in' phase, thats when i got my minor 'burn-in' , since then however i have not suffered from any additional burn in. I use 'hide taskbar', i have my desktop background rotating through a dozen different wallpapers, and i have a screen saver. I also dont open up browser windows to fullscreen and instead use them windowed and move them slightly each time i use it.

 

The upside to OLED 'burn-in' being cumulative and not physical heat damage is that u can in fact play longer sessions of gaming with static HUDs and not have to worry about burn in.

However u DO have to worry about cumulative 'burn-in' ..so if ur going to be playing the same game with the same HUD over and over for 1000 hours over its lifetime u may get some very minor burn in.

Rtings done a burn in test on LG C7 OLEDs simulating different use cases and it took the equivalent of a years worth (~4 hours a day every day) of playing the same game with a very high contrast static HUD and NOTHING else but that game footage, before very minor 'burn-in' was noticeable on solid color test images.


CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×