Connect Speakers to TV with Optical cable, use PCM or Bitstream ?

Go to solution Solved by Lorant,
37 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah TV's normally don't let you control audio output levels with SPDIF/Optical.

I would use PCM as its 2 channel, Bitstream is used for 5.1 which the Logitech Z625 isn't.

This if you can't use Bitstream and send the output as Stereo.  Some TV's you have control over this, some not.

Bitstream has the dedicated LFE channel, where as PCM doesn't IIRC.

Hello, i have connected a 400w speakers (Logitech Z625) to my new 4k TV (LG 43UM7450PLA) with an optical cable. What is the best to use, PCM or Bitstream ? Also i have another problem with my new LG TV i cant change the volume of the external speakers (connected with optical) with tv remote control after i updated the webos to the newer version, only with the tv speakers i can turn the volume up or down.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyShalos said:

Hello, i have connected a 400w speakers (Logitech Z625) to my new 4k TV (LG 43UM7450PLA) with an optical cable. What is the best to use, PCM or Bitstream ? Also i have another problem with my new LG TV i cant change the volume of the external speakers (connected with optical) with tv remote control after i updated the webos to the newer version, only with the tv speakers i can turn the volume up or down.

Yeah TV's normally don't let you control audio output levels with SPDIF/Optical.

I would use PCM as its 2 channel, Bitstream is used for 5.1 which the Logitech Z625 isn't.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

19 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Ok thanks! :) I have another question if you can help me. Do you know how to fix the problem with the crackling sound of the speaker's volume control without disassembly the speakers ?

1 minute ago, JohnnyShalos said:

Ok thanks! :) I have another question if you can help me. Do you know how to fix the problem with the crackling sound of the speaker's volume control without disassembly the speakers ?

Ehh I'm not sure if its possible. The pot used for volume control is what is most likely causing the crackling, and this pot needs cleaning hence the disassembly needed. It's not too hard, just 4 allen bolts I believe.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

37 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

This if you can't use Bitstream and send the output as Stereo.  Some TV's you have control over this, some not.

Bitstream has the dedicated LFE channel, where as PCM doesn't IIRC.