Laptop for B Day

Boinbo
Go to solution Solved by Boinbo,
21 minutes ago, techmattr said:

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is a decent value right now. Linus has a few videos on it as I think he is still using it as his daily driver. I got my girlfriend a XPS 13 2-in-1 and it's an awesome laptop. I like my Surface Laptop 3 better though because of the taller aspect ratio and it's a bit lighter. I really like the XPS 2-in-1's maglev keyboard though. The XPS has a much better touchpad but the Surface Laptop 3 has a bigger touchpad.

Can't really go wrong with either one but the XPS 2-in-1 isn't worth the extra $300 honestly.

Yeah I checked it out, and I think my final verdict will be the surface laptop 3. Thanks!

Hey guys.

So, my dad agreed to buy me a laptop for my birthday finally! I have a budget of $800-$1200, so it's not a super cheap budget. I am going to mainly use it for school, so good battery life and keyboard are important. I have my eyes on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, for $899. Can anyone tell me any other good laptops in my budget range? Thanks!

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

If you don't need a lot of storage or RAM then it's hard to beat the base model Surface Laptop 3. Especially if you care about functional aspect ratio. 16:10 and 3:2 are where its at. I have the base model ($899) 13" and I really like it. For me the Surface Laptop 3 and XPS 13 2-in-1 and the yet to be released XPS 13 9300 are the only options since they are the only laptops with a 16:10 or 3:2.

10 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Hey guys.

So, my dad agreed to buy me a laptop for my birthday finally! I have a budget of $800-$1200, so it's not a super cheap budget. I am going to mainly use it for school, so good battery life and keyboard are important. I have my eyes on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, for $899. Can anyone tell me any other good laptops in my budget range? Thanks!

Not sure how much the Dell XPS is, but if its in your price range its a good consideration

8 minutes ago, techmattr said:

If you don't need a lot of storage or RAM then it's hard to beat the base model Surface Laptop 3. Especially if you care about functional aspect ratio. 16:10 and 3:2 are where its at. I have the base model ($899) 13" and I really like it. For me the Surface Laptop 3 and XPS 13 2-in-1 and the yet to be released XPS 13 9300 are the only options since they are the only laptops with a 16:10 or 3:2.

Storage is not a problem for me, and 8gb of ram is probably good enough. I'll look into the xps pricing!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

5 minutes ago, InsaneFire10YT said:

Not sure how much the Dell XPS is, but if its in your price range its a good consideration

I'll check it out.

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

1 minute ago, Boinbo said:

Storage is not a problem for me, and 8gb of ram is probably good enough. I'll look into the xps pricing!

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is a decent value right now. Linus has a few videos on it as I think he is still using it as his daily driver. I got my girlfriend a XPS 13 2-in-1 and it's an awesome laptop. I like my Surface Laptop 3 better though because of the taller aspect ratio and it's a bit lighter. I really like the XPS 2-in-1's maglev keyboard though. The XPS has a much better touchpad but the Surface Laptop 3 has a bigger touchpad.

Can't really go wrong with either one but the XPS 2-in-1 isn't worth the extra $300 honestly.

21 minutes ago, techmattr said:

Yeah I checked it out, and I think my final verdict will be the surface laptop 3. Thanks!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

4 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

I'm sure you'll love it. I went with the old Alcantara surface instead of the new aluminum option and I'm glad I did. The Alcantara is really comfortable to use.

7 minutes ago, techmattr said:

I'm sure you'll love it. I went with the old Alcantara surface instead of the new aluminum option and I'm glad I did. The Alcantara is really comfortable to use.

Alright I'll keep that in mind!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

Go for business laptops. Better build+QC+support

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128