Blotchy Picture in Dark Areas

__WolfFang__

So I recently just purchased an ASUS ROG Swift PG279QZ 27" monitor and I setup GSync, 32 bit color depth, 8bpc color depth, rgb color format and full dynamic range. When I started to watch a video the dark scenes were blotchy and I was wondering what would cause this if there's any way to fix this or if I am doing something wrong. I opened the game visual menu that was built into the monitor and the scenery, racing, cinema, rts/rpg, fps and srgb modes didn't help at all.

Thanks.

If the blotchy parts do not occur when playing games, then it is due to the compression in the video. Videos are often heavily compressed which introduce compression artifacts such as blotchiness in dark areas. You probably are only noticing now since you have got a high enough quality monitor to notice it.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

16 minutes ago, Husky said:

If the blotchy parts do not occur when playing games, then it is due to the compression in the video. Videos are often heavily compressed which introduce compression artifacts such as blotchiness in dark areas. You probably are only noticing now since you have got a high enough quality monitor to notice it.

It is only happening in videos, but nevertheless it is still distracting/annoying is there any way to make it look any better because it is like that in youtube videos and Netflix videos. Also could it be because I am also running a 1080p 60 hz 24 in for my second monitor?

12 hours ago, __WolfFang__ said:

It is only happening in videos, but nevertheless it is still distracting/annoying is there any way to make it look any better because it is like that in youtube videos and Netflix videos. Also could it be because I am also running a 1080p 60 hz 24 in for my second monitor?

No there isn't any way to make it look better besides just finding higher quality video files to watch. The Netflix app on Windows 10 should allow for higher quality playback than then browser based one and watching YouTube videos in a higher quality such as 1440p or 4K will help, even if your monitor is 1080p.

Your other monitor is not the cause.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

15 hours ago, Husky said:

No there isn't any way to make it look better besides just finding higher quality video files to watch. The Netflix app on Windows 10 should allow for higher quality playback than then browser based one and watching YouTube videos in a higher quality such as 1440p or 4K will help, even if your monitor is 1080p.

Your other monitor is not the cause.

Ok thanks for the info.