Water cooling with single 140mm radiator

I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to cool both a cpu and gpu at low to mid usage with a single 140mm radiator, and then when playing games and such, use the single 140mm plus a 420mm radiator.

I dont like noise, but when im playing games its less of an annoyance, but right now, my gpu is loud af, stock air, and that is an annoyance.

But my thinking was, as I dont want to many fans blowing when the system is idling, and I'm maybe doing some web browsing, video watching and stuff, to have only the single 140mm to cool, and when I want to do some more heavy lifting, I can turn on the 420's fans, though it will always be connected to do some passive cooling.

Btw, I have the Nanoxia deep Silence 6, and I wanted to have the single at the back, and triple at the top. And that case has what they call an active chimney, where you can flick a switch on the outside of the case, and the top opens up, plus the fans engag, to exhaust more air.

Btw, if anyone from LMG reads this, the Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 is a freaking amazing case, with some very appealing features. Would love for you guys to show it off to the world. Amazing build quality, huge, and heavy af, plus it has heavy and dense foam on the inside, to make it quieter. Best case I have ever put my eyes on, though for most people, it is ugly, and it doesn't even have a side panel window, though it does have I think it was a dual 120mm fan mount on the side, where the gpu's is.

That should work for sure! Just make sure to have decent intake fans

bur why not invest in a nice fan controller and make all the fans go like ~780RPM (that’s what I do on my NF-F14s on my rads) when under light loads?

and then simply having the „chimney“ open the whole time.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

That should work for sure! Just make sure to have decent intake fans

bur why not invest in a nice fan controller and make all the fans go like ~780RPM (that’s what I do on my NF-F14s on my rads) when under light loads?

and then simply having the „chimney“ open the whole time.

Having the chimney open versus closed, makes a large difference to sound output, especially if a water pump needs to run all the time. So having it closed is a necessity, plus, I put stuff on top of the PC a lot of the time, and dont really use the chimney at all the the moment. Plus, I like the sleaker look much better, and since I have it on the ground, the top is what I see the most.

Silence is at utmost importance, and water cooling my gpu is the only solution I can find that is suited for me to solve the issue best.

Right now, I use a noctua NH-d15 air cooler on my cpu, with 2 fans, and that is the only fans in my system running all the time, since my gpu has a fan less mode. Usually doesn't go above 60c even at load though. At least not last I checked a year and a half ago. But, when I'm not playing games, I cannot hear my PC, from 50cm distance at all, in a room that is extra quiet than a normal room. And I'm really scared a water pump will destroy the silence.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Having the chimney open versus closed, makes a large difference to sound output, especially if a water pump needs to run all the time. So having it closed is a necessity, plus, I put stuff on top of the PC a lot of the time, and dont really use the chimney at all the the moment. Plus, I like the sleaker look much better, and since I have it on the ground, the top is what I see the most.

Silence is at utmost importance, and water cooling my gpu is the only solution I can find that is suited for me to solve the issue best.

Right now, I use a noctua NH-d15 air cooler on my cpu, with 2 fans, and that is the only fans in my system running all the time, since my gpu has a fan less mode. Usually doesn't go above 60c even at load though. At least not last I checked a year and a half ago. But, when I'm not playing games, I cannot hear my PC, from 50cm distance at all, in a room that is extra quiet than a normal room. And I'm really scared a water pump will destroy the silence.

Wich pump are you Running? Does it have speed control? Most peps runn their pumps to fast. I runn my Aquastream at like 3% load and still get ~70l/h (i set it to 69l/h lol) wich is enough.

and kk, I understand you wanting to have the vents closed. I am pretty sure this will work. A idelling/ video playing GPU doesn’t put out much and for your CPU the rad is really more than enough.

i am pretty confident that it will work :)

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Wich pump are you Running? Does it have speed control? Most peps runn their pumps to fast. I runn my Aquastream at like 3% load and still get ~70l/h (i set it to 69l/h lol) wich is enough.

and kk, I understand you wanting to have the vents closed. I am pretty sure this will work. A idelling/ video playing GPU doesn’t put out much and for your CPU the rad is really more than enough.

i am pretty confident that it will work :)

Thanks for the answer first of :)

Right now I'm not running any water cooling, but as I can see, the D5 pump is the way to go, and i will be tuning it down as low as the system can handle. Also, I am thinking of just purchasing the pump, the biggest reservoir I can fit in my case, and just make an empty loop to test the sound output before I go all out.

Thanks for the answer first of :)

Right now I'm not running any water cooling, but as I can see, the D5 pump is the way to go, and i will be tuning it down as low as the system can handle. Also, I am thinking of just purchasing the pump, the biggest reservoir I can fit in my case, and just make an empty loop to test the sound output before I go all out.

I STROOOOONGLY recommend the aquacomputer aquastream 

Noboddy knows or uses them 

they are a small German manufacturer and make friggin awesome pumps 

based on Eheim professional quaristic stuff. I have a big loop

3xGPU

1xCPU

1x420 RAD

2x280RAD

and runn the Pump on 3% Speed and produce ~70l/h with it NOT audible 

100l/h and I can hear it when I really want to. AND you get a pretty badass regulating software with it. Fancontroller build in to the Pump. You can make it react to various temps in the system and it displays water temperature etc etc

its awesome for silence freaks 

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I STROOOOONGLY recommend the aquacomputer aquastream 

Noboddy knows or uses them 

they are a small German manufacturer and make friggin awesome pumps 

based on Eheim professional quaristic stuff. I have a big loop

3xGPU

1xCPU

1x420 RAD

2x280RAD

and runn the Pump on 3% Speed and produce ~70l/h with it NOT audible 

100l/h and I can hear it when I really want to. AND you get a pretty badass regulating software with it. Fancontroller build in to the Pump. You can make it react to various temps in the system and it displays water temperature etc etc

its awesome for silence freaks 

I will definitely check that out, looks just like what I would use in my current setup. Plus, German quality is something I look for, my case is German as well.

If you have any other recommendations for a balling silenced build I will be listening very closely. It is really hard to find these kinds of products by your self.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

I will definitely check that out, looks just like what I would use in my current setup. Plus, German quality is something I look for, my case is German as well.

If you have any other recommendations for a balling silenced build I will be listening very closely. It is really hard to find these kinds of products by your self.

Noctua fans!

i have 9x NF F14 chromax

-sexy black and come with customizable color “edges” for like 1$ more than the brown ones

- SILENT or move tons of air depending on the speed setting 

- high static pressure 

- Austrian quality (nearly the same a German :D)

as you might have noticed I am doing F@H and BOINC. With the described loop my system pulls about 750W on full thrust but undervolted a bit. I can nearly not hear my PC. But I use liquid metal and full cover blocks  on everting. Also my case 750D airflow Edition is really open and allows for relatively unrestricted airflow 

5 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Noctua fans!

i have 9x NF F14 chromax

-sexy black and come with customizable color “edges” for like 1$ more than the brown ones

- SILENT or move tons of air depending on the speed setting 

Noctua all the way. Btw, which case do you have, since you can have all that inside?

Noctua all the way. Btw, which case do you have, since you can have all that inside?

Update my post with more info :)

But the case is modded a bit

i removed part of the CD bays and now only have one with a hot swap bay for a HDD and the others are cut out and I installed brackets for the res. 

Update my post with more info :)

But the case is modded a bit

i removed part of the CD bays and now only have one with a hot swap bay for a HDD and the others are cut out and I installed brackets for the res. 

Very nice, back a few years when I bought the DS6 case, I was extremely close to getting the 900D for the massive amounts of water cooling capability (2 quad radiators at the bottom, and more inside the main chamber) but I decided I wouldn't water cool in the near future.

And right I was, though now its almost 5 years since then, and now I just might, or go with the 1000D, though i dont know yet, would be cheapest not to. ;)

3 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Very nice, back a few years when I bought the DS6 case, I was extremely close to getting the 900D for the massive amounts of water cooling capability (2 quad radiators at the bottom, and more inside the main chamber) but I decided I wouldn't water cool in the near future.

And right I was, though now its almost 5 years since then, and now I just might, or go with the 1000D, though i dont know yet, would be cheapest not to. ;)

I was at the same point lol

1000D is pure overkill

but 900D is sexy

however I am properly okay with my 750

I actually have all rad fans off on one of my rigs while not gaming. Just 3 intake fans running that are way quieter than any of my nocua fans could ever be. 

Temps stay the same but the cpu has liquid metal so it can’t get hot anyway. 

System has a 360 and 280. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

28 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I actually have all rad fans off on one of my rigs while not gaming. Just 3 intake fans running that are way quieter than any of my nocua fans could ever be. 

Temps stay the same but the cpu has liquid metal so it can’t get hot anyway. 

System has a 360 and 280. 

soooo wich fans are those who are quieter than Nocs and at what speeds?

7 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

soooo wich fans are those who are quieter than Nocs and at what speeds?

Don’t recall the name. Would have to look at the boxes when I get home. They have a white blade so I would never have bought them myself. And at any speed, directly comparing them to a similar fan like the 2k noctua. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Ive run an i5 3470 and R7 260X gpu for 8 months straight 24/7 on 2x80mm radiators in push pull config with zero heat issues.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Don’t recall the name. Would have to look at the boxes when I get home. They have a white blade so I would never have bought them myself. And at any speed, directly comparing them to a similar fan like the 2k noctua. 

Hmm when possible please let me/us know :)

7 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Ive run an i5 3470 and R7 260X gpu for 8 months straight 24/7 on 2x80mm radiators in push pull config with zero heat issues.

80mm ok thats nice didn’t know there where 80mm rads

Hmm when possible please let me/us know :)

Phanteks PH-F120MP

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Phanteks PH-F120MP

Ok lol... they are pretty cheap. Ill have to test them. Not only noise is important but also cfm and static pressure. I guess thats where they are lacking over the nocs 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Ok lol... they are pretty cheap. Ill have to test them. Not only noise is important but also cfm and static pressure. I guess thats where they are lacking over the nocs 

No idea, never looked at the specs. Converted most of my rads to 140 so ill never waste time on 120 stuff again. Doubt they can be any different than all the nf-f12's they are sitting next to.

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

No idea, never looked at the specs. Converted most of my rads to 140 so ill never waste time on 120 stuff again. Doubt they can be any different than all the nf-f12's they are sitting next to.

They absolutley can! There is so much to aero dynamics and shit... I studied this stuff :D 

But sure they get the job done and with decent fans the differences are small. How ever 5$ fans... ok lets not talk about them 

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

They absolutley can! There is so much to aero dynamics and shit... I studied this stuff :D 

But sure they get the job done and with decent fans the differences are small. How ever 5$ fans... ok lets not talk about them 

Well I don't have the stuff to test it. Temps don't change, so not much use to me either way. noctuas do seem to catch more dirt though.