Christmas Light Show

ryanthelion

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for exterior (outdoor / waterproof) LED lighting that is inexpensive that can be controlled through the network programatically. I understand that "inexpensive" is unrealistic, but I am trying to do this for as cheap as possible. If you have any recommendations, please leave amazon links. My ultimate goal is to make a light show for the kids in the neighborhood. :)

21 minutes ago, ryanthelion said:

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for exterior (outdoor / waterproof) LED lighting that is inexpensive that can be controlled through the network programatically. I understand that "inexpensive" is unrealistic, but I am trying to do this for as cheap as possible. If you have any recommendations, please leave amazon links. My ultimate goal is to make a light show for the kids in the neighborhood. :)

This is a flat out full on hobby for some people. There used to be magazines on it like many other hobbies.  There are specialized digital controllers made that will choreograph to music even.

this site deals with the concept and is designed for watchers looking to find such displays.

https://www.christmaslightfinder.com/home-m/

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is a flat out full on hobby for some people. There used to be magazines on it like many other hobbies.  There are specialized digital controllers made that will choreograph to music even.

this site deals with the concept and is designed for watchers looking to find such displays.

https://www.christmaslightfinder.com/home-m/

Thank you! That will help me find people once we're complete. Also, thank you for the tips for the controller.

If you don't mind doing a little wiring you can find cheap led "rope" (cant think what its called, but whats normally used outside) then using a relay board for adurino. then using an adurino you can program the lights however if you want a raspberry pi can usually be used in place of an adurino if you want to take that route. there are plenty of sources out there

1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

If you don't mind doing a little wiring you can find cheap led "rope" (cant think what its called, but whats normally used outside) then using a relay board for adurino. then using an adurino you can program the lights however if you want a raspberry pi can usually be used in place of an adurino if you want to take that route. there are plenty of sources out there

The way I’ve heard of that being done you use home automation pi stuff and control 110v sockets which one plugs the light strings into.  I got an electrician friend who’s disturbingly into it.  It’s how I know about the music thing.  I had to talk him down from blowing a grand on a controller at the behest of his wife.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The way I’ve heard of that being done you use home automation pi stuff and control 110v sockets which one plugs the light strings into.  I got an electrician friend who’s disturbingly into it.  It’s how I know about the music thing.  I had to talk him down from blowing a grand on a controller at the behest of his wife.

I have a friend that does this for Halloween and you can use 110v on the relay boards because it is isolated. relays are nothing more than electronically controlled switches. a grand on a controller ouch that would definitely hurt the wallet, luckily you saved him on that one.

2 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

I have a friend that does this for Halloween and you can use 110v on the relay boards because it is isolated. relays are nothing more than electronically controlled switches. a grand on a controller ouch that would definitely hurt the wallet, luckily you saved him on that one.

He wouldn’t have completed anyway.  The man picks up hobbies like road gravel in tires.

the new wave of decorative lighting is just using beams of light to light up the house or trees

its way easier then dealing with putting up lights and taking them down

Lumenplay App-Enabled Lights Starter Set

Brizled 200 LED Christmas String Lights

PEULED Smart String Lights

MINGER App-Controlled Fairy Lights

I'm actually looking at doing something like this for my place and having a raspberry pi do visualizer effects or other. Although don't wanna give to much away, as they say, a magician never gives away his secrets.

2 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I'm actually looking at doing something like this for my place and having a raspberry pi do visualizer effects or other. Although don't wanna give to much away, as they say, a magician never gives away his secrets.

I leave it to you to discuss particulars with @ryanthelion then.  My knowledge on the subject is expended.