MSI Tomahawk Max Replacement

muindor
Go to solution Solved by Polyvalent,

It'll work fine.  ASUS makes a good board.  Good customer service too.

So my MSI Tomahawk Max B450 died a week into using it. I'd get a replacement as I assume this is just a one-off DOA case. The issue is they're out of stock most places and I'm impatient. 

I looked at going one step up to the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, but it is out of stock too.

I'm using the board with a 5700XT & Ryzen 5 3600. I don't really overclock beyond Ryzen Master Precision Boost. 

Would the ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F work for my use case? I've seen some negative reviews but they mainly seem to reference VRMs that are bad for overclocking. 

Thanks so much for the help!

It'll work fine.  ASUS makes a good board.  Good customer service too.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

It will work for R5 3600 if you don't plan to upgrade it.

But, get B450 A-Pro \ Gaming Plus MAX instead, these are the same boards as Tomahawk really except for different design and the lack of USB Type-C on the I\O panel.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply