CPU Fan Error in 1 out of 8-10 start ups (Swiftech H240-X)

I purchased a Swiftech H240-X liquid cooler for my CPU in 2015, and apart from a few issues related to fan speed control it's been working pretty well.

Starting a few months ago, however, every 1 computer start-up out of about 8-10 fails with a CPU fan error. This is because the coolant in the loop does not seem to be running. If i shake and turn my computer case for a few minutes, then it usually starts working again and the CPU is cooled properly.

I can't tell for sure what causes the failure in the first place, whether it's the pump or the coolant. I didn't notice any spills or impurities in the liquid that might block its flow, so i'm not convinced it's time for a refill. When at rest, the liquid level - although a bit lower then it was at the beginning if i recall well - is still between the min and max markers on the chamber near the pump.

Can you please advise on how i should fix this problem for good?

What motherboard are you using?

There's usually a setting to turn off the cpu fan error. It can be triggered by a lack of rpm signal or one that's just too low. As long as your temps are fine, you can just turn off the setting. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using?

There's usually a setting to turn off the cpu fan error. It can be triggered by a lack of rpm signal or one that's just too low. As long as your temps are fine, you can just turn off the setting. 

I checked the CPU temps in BIOS while this happens, they are definitely rising to 90 degrees and more, so it's not an issue with the motherboard. It's an ASUS Rampage V Extreme, by the way.

I would do one of 3 things.

Top off the coolant (you can empty and used distilled or a premixed (no cross metals in that aio). 

Replace the pump which also involves recommendation number 1. You can replace it with mcp35x. That pump also has the benefit of having more flow and head pressure due to faster rpms. 

Buy a new AIO or Air cooler. (You can get the newest swiftech AIO v3 for 150)

You could also take this as a chance to go full water cooling for a some what cheap price. Below is the estimated cost.

Mcp35x  $90

Second radiator $60-100

GPU block $80-120

Tubing - $20

Coolant - $5-20

So 300ish. 

6 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I would do one of 3 things.

Top off the coolant (you can empty and used distilled or a premixed (no cross metals in that aio). 

Replace the pump which also involves recommendation number 1. You can replace it with mcp35x. That pump also has the benefit of having more flow and head pressure due to faster rpms. 

Buy a new AIO or Air cooler. (You can get the newest swiftech AIO v3 for 150)

You could also take this as a chance to go full water cooling for a some what cheap price. Below is the estimated cost.

Mcp35x  $90

Second radiator $60-100

GPU block $80-120

Tubing - $20

Coolant - $5-20

So 300ish. 

I think i'll go with option 3, buy a new liquid cooler for my CPU. It's pretty difficult to come by Swiftech components where i live, so i'll probably buy a brand new Corsair cooler.

4 minutes ago, Xen0m0rph said:

I think i'll go with option 3, buy a new liquid cooler for my CPU. It's pretty difficult to come by Swiftech components where i live, so i'll probably buy a brand new Corsair cooler.

You could always try to add distilled to your current one. I mean a gallon of distilled water is less than a dollar here. That would be the cheapest thing to try.

5 hours ago, Xen0m0rph said:

So, the AIO is almost 5 year old. I bet the pump is near the end of its life.