How to connect two routers to one modem.

savagepotato32
Go to solution Solved by APasz,

You need to provide more info mate.

Is this for redundancy? Or speed?

Is the same ISP or different ones?

If you want speed and these fibre lines are from the same ISP, then you just ask them to bond the connections. They'll send you their modem that can do it.

However if they're different ISP's or your ISP refuses. There are third party services that can set it up for redundancy.

You can merge them yourself but it requires somewhat expensive hardware and some networking knowledge OR a bunch of networking knowledge with less expensive hardware.

The setup is like this

Fiber-line->modem->router1

But I want like this

Fiber-line->modem->switch->router1

|

router2

You need to provide more info mate.

Is this for redundancy? Or speed?

Is the same ISP or different ones?

If you want speed and these fibre lines are from the same ISP, then you just ask them to bond the connections. They'll send you their modem that can do it.

However if they're different ISP's or your ISP refuses. There are third party services that can set it up for redundancy.

You can merge them yourself but it requires somewhat expensive hardware and some networking knowledge OR a bunch of networking knowledge with less expensive hardware.

-アパゾ

No its no like that. So I have a connection from out ISP of fiber which goes into the converter which then converts it into ethernet. The converter has only one port of rj45 so the patch cable goes from it to the main router. The problems is my room is located far from the router so the signal is weak,But the converter is near my room so I thought that if I connect a switch to the converter and from the switch which has 5 ports 1st port  is used for the cable from the converter so 4nd ports  are left I connected a cable front the 2port of the switch to the router(and it works fine) and then another cable into the 3rd port which runs to my room. So now I ask can I connect a router the cable into my room 

I see.

Let me get this straight.

The 'main router', is it a modem/gateway or just a WiFi AP? You tell by looking at the ports. Are there multiple ethernet ports with one labelled WAN?

If it is a WAN port then you've got a separated NTD and gateway setup. You can add a simple switch and WiFi APs where ever you need them.

However each WiFi AP will act as separate WiFi network. To have a single WiFi network using multiple APs, you'll need to get Mesh compatible APs.

Since I don't know how you ISP has things setup so for security, it's important that your devices connect via the gateway and not directly to the NTD.

-アパゾ

Yes the main router(router 1) has a port labelled wan. Also I got the answer I was looking for from u so THANKS :). In future If u need some help I will definitely try to provide u what ever i can under my power.

11 hours ago, savagepotato32 said:

The setup is like this

Fiber-line->modem->router1

But I want like this

Fiber-line->modem->switch->router1

|

router2

Based on your comments, all you need is to add and access point. Real access points tend to cost a lot, so you can just use another router as long as it has an Access Point mode. The connection would look like this...

Fiber---Modem---[WAN]Router[LAN]---[LAN]Router2(in AP mode)

2 hours ago, sphbecker said:

Based on your comments, all you need is to add and access point. Real access points tend to cost a lot, so you can just use another router as long as it has an Access Point mode. The connection would look like this...

Fiber---Modem---[WAN]Router[LAN]---[LAN]Router2(in AP mode)

the router doesn't have to be in access point mode. You could just connect you router to a lan port on router 2, turn off dhcp on router 2 and give router 2 a static ip on lan that is in the same subnet as router 1, if your network is 192.168.0.X then router 2 would need to have an ip in the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 range that is not being used.

2 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

the router doesn't have to be in access point mode. You could just connect you router to a lan port on router 2, turn off dhcp on router 2 and give router 2 a static ip on lan that is in the same subnet as router 1, if your network is 192.168.0.X then router 2 would need to have an ip in the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 range that is not being used.

True, you can do that if your Router does not have an access point mode. Just a word of warning, DO NOT create a great network on the 2nd router, it will not work as expected, it will either not work at all or will give full network access to the guest network. In Access Point mode, options like that are typically removed from the GUI to avoid confusion. All the other options will simply not work if you try to change them, that is the only one with a security implication, so I wanted to point it out.