Wont power on: what power supply

DNA3e8

I had a     Athena Power 850 W EPS Power Supply the fan was going out so I replaced it with 

Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

And it won't power on.

I swapped the Athena back in (except drives) and it powers on.

What replacement power supply do i need?

I did not like how loud the Athena is, the Corsar was 1 short on SATA power

* The RAM and Drive config is a pit different but did not look like it would be the cause

"wont power on system"

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rGt4dm

Does power on

is your motherboard atx or eps?

EPS PSUs will sometimes work on atx motherboards, but atx PSUs will not work on eps motherboards. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've seen the smallest error here... make sure you are connecting both parts of the 24pin to the motherboard, some people think both parts are fully in and that small little side piece isnt fully in and the PC won't boot.

Image result for 24pin"

Not likely (but i am checking) new corsair with the 4 pin firmly connected to the 20 pin.

Ran for ~ 1day (12=18 hours)

Ah. Got it.  PcPartPicker list confused for a sec.  my goodness that’s a lot of hard drives.

i cannot help you choose a PSU other than to suggest looking at the PSU tier list.  I know nothing.  I only have a shot here because your hardware is old.  Would you prefer to keep the PSU or are you looking to return it to get something with more SATA?

pcpartpicker claims total wattage isn’t too high, motherboard is correct.  That Corsair should in theory be fine.  If the Corsair isn’t itself broken (or wasn’t plugged in or something) and all the connectors attached correctly it should just work. I am suspecting one of the above is the issue.  This would include the point made by @Squanchy. Those things are a pain and they have to fit just right.

the sata power issue may be a thing.  It claims to have 6 sata points, you have 5 sata devices. I’m assuming it’s a cable reach issue.  Maybe had to pull one too tight and it couldn’t quite stay in and reach?  

If you want to keep the PSU there are molex to sata adaptors.  Your PSU lists several molex cables and it doesn’t look like you’re using them so you could turn a molex cable into a sata cable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

not change after checking the cable.

Note: thys system did not work with 500 W antec power supplies either.

1 minute ago, DNA3e8 said:

Not likely (but i am checking) new corsair with the 4 pin firmly connected to the 20 pin.

Ran for ~ 1day (12=18 hours)

Wat? so it's running with the Corsair?

5 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

Wat? so it's running with the Corsair?

It powered on yesterday after install, Ran for 3-6 hours , whent to bed, it was working in the morning, got home form work. it was off, and wont power on.

It did a similar thing 3 years ago with 500 W antec power supply's, non of the 500 what antecs worked after that, but this 850 athena did

so the corsair may had died...

7 minutes ago, DNA3e8 said:

not change after checking the cable.

Note: thys system did not work with 500 W antec power supplies either.

Trying to work out the timeline here to make sure ive got it correct.

So you tried to replace the 850 eps with a 500w atx, this failed so you got a 650w atx (the Corsair) which also failed?

pcpartpicker is listing the system you specced as drawing less than 400w.  If the list is correctly filled out it’s not a power shortage.  The 500w should have worked too.

You day the system boots when the eps PSU is used but not the atx ones correct?

UPDATE:  clearly not correct.  I type too slow.

So right now it won’t run on the eps OR the atx?  

3 years ago go the PC, 500 W antec worked for a while

Tried 3 other 500 W Antecs- none worked

Installed Athena - still works but a fan is going out

Installed Corsair sunday afternoon

Ran left running Monday night

dead Tuesday when i got home

Yes athena (esp psu) works today but ATX corsair does not

a Kilawat watt meter reports draw with athena is under 400 W

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So right now it won’t run on the eps OR the atx?  

does turn on with eps (athena)

Did it run on the Corsair for a while then died?  This is so confusing.  

So either corsair died in a a day, OR one of the rails on the corsair is not high enough

** I bought two corsiars  other ins n my new ryzen 5 build... I am not excited to test with it... slight ly more ok waiting a week to replace the corsair... IF we are 112% confident the corsair is big enough

Does turn on with eps now, but stopped stopped with 650w.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Did it run on the Corsair for a while then died?  This is so confusing.  

Yes it ran on the corsiar for a while. 

Thank you for asking questions to understand me

Could only be a rail issue if your machine is drawing a LOT more power than it should be.

Literally my only two assumptions, 1) you're not doing something right. 2) something is messed up with your power delivery and something is sucking a lot more power then it should.... Maybe get another 850w and try that? 

At a loss here.. Something isn't adding up.

Is the pcpartpicker list accurate?

congrats on 500 posts  ;)

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Is the pcpartpicker list accurate?

the Ram is actually all 24 GB sticks ( i did not build that part)... the drives are different models.

Video card, CPU and MOBO I believe are correct

4 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

Literally my only two assumptions, 1) you're not doing something right. 2) something is messed up with your power delivery and something is sucking a lot more power then it should.... Maybe get another 850w and try that? 

At a loss here.. Something isn't adding up.

That is why I came here... to see if there was something I was missing (IE I month ago I did not know AMD s cared A LOT about the RAM speed)

1 minute ago, DNA3e8 said:

That is why I came here... to see if there was something I was missing (IE I month ago I did not know AMD s cared A LOT about the RAM speed)

Only thing I can think of is try a bigger PSU. Try a 850w.

Best of luck.

Just now, Squanchy said:

Only thing I can think of is try a bigger PSU. Try a 850w.

Best of luck.

Thank you

Just now, DNA3e8 said:

congrats on 500 posts  ;)

the Ram is actually all 24 GB sticks ( i did not build that part)... the drives are different models.

Video card, CPU and MOBO I believe are correct

It should still be close. Ram and drives don’t eat a lot of power.  Your system isn’t drawing a ton of juice then.  Or shouldn’t be.  Pcpartpicker lists draw as 357w which we can call 400w for extra slop.  A modern 650w PSU should have at least 450w on 12v rail.... it’s an old mobo though...  shortage on 5v or 3.5v?!  I need to read about that mobo...

Ok the thing has vrms on it so it’s primarily or entirely 12v.  There’s no weird legacy rail issues. 

you can try an 850w PSU.  I don’t think it will work but I’ve been wrong before.