New RX 5700 xt Black Screen after POST

skyhy

Hi guys,

I've done some searching around but haven't found many answers, I'm hoping someone here can help out! I just got a new RX 5700 xt, after uninstalling the nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode and shutting down, I installed my 5700 and it wont boot into Windows. It POSTS and I can mess with the BIOS (which I reset to default settings with a CMOS reset) but it doesn't even get to the Windows boot screen at all. If I switch back to my 670 it boots up again without issues. I can't try to boot with an igpu because My mobo doesn't have one. Any ideas would be super helpful!

My system specs are as follows:

Core i7 920

Asus Rampage 3 Gene

gtx 670 > upgrading to RX 5700 xt

12 gb RAM

Just to add some more mystery, it appears that the PC won't bot AT ALL after the BIOS. I tried booting to USB and that isn't working for me either. I'm assuming the card isn't DoA since it can push the BIOS messages.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Sounds like one dead power supply

It works with my 670 no problem, as far as know the TDP isn't too much lower than the RX 5700. Though I suppose a PSU is an easy thing to test.

8 minutes ago, skyhy said:

It works with my 670 no problem, as far as know the TDP isn't too much lower than the RX 5700. Though I suppose a PSU is an easy thing to test.

Did you remove the old Nvidia drivers via DDU?

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Did you remove the old Nvidia drivers via DDU?

Sure did

7 minutes ago, skyhy said:

Sure did

Test the card in another system

43 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Test the card in another system

Just tested and that works. Could it be mobo compatibility?

Just now, skyhy said:

Just tested and that works. Could it be mobo compatibility?

Sounds like a cable might be fucked or the board is damaged in some way.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Sounds like a cable might be fucked or the board is damaged in some way.

Just confirmed again that when the GTX 670 is in, it runs fine without any issues. It's the specific combination of the new GPU that seems to be causing problems.

Dude, I just registered just to tell you: It IS your power supply. 

This is exactly what happened to me and I "just" switched from a GTX980 to a RX5700XT. 

Considering that a GTX670 (reference design ~150W) is even less consuming than a GTX980 (reference design ~170-180W), this will probably also be your problem. My Sapphire Pulse RX5700XT for example has a peak power consumption of ~240W which is ALOT more ... 

Had the same problem until I also exchanged my old 530W PSU with a 700W PSU (600W would probably have been enough with my specific setup but just to be on the safe Side for the next couple of years I went for 700W). No more problems. Now the PC boots perfectly.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, skyhy said:

Hi guys,

I've done some searching around but haven't found many answers, I'm hoping someone here can help out! I just got a new RX 5700 xt, after uninstalling the nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode and shutting down, I installed my 5700 and it wont boot into Windows. It POSTS and I can mess with the BIOS (which I reset to default settings with a CMOS reset) but it doesn't even get to the Windows boot screen at all. If I switch back to my 670 it boots up again without issues. I can't try to boot with an igpu because My mobo doesn't have one. Any ideas would be super helpful!

My system specs are as follows:

Core i7 920

Asus Rampage 3 Gene

gtx 670 > upgrading to RX 5700 xt

12 gb RAM

I have X5675 on P6TD Deluxe X58 mobo and reference Sapphire RX 5700 (flashed to 5700 XTX 50th Anniversary), had same issue, card can boot into bios, but after post it shows black screen if you try to boot something (windows, flash drive, dos, etc)

I know that is works on my i7-930 too. 

It should work on P6T Deluxe, P6T WS, P6T WS PRO, P6X58D Premium too.

Got it working just by ENABLING Express Gate, if it is disabled card will show black screen after bios post ends. I boot to windows on ADATA SX8200 nvme ssd from refind efi bootloader.

I removed all contents of Express Gate flash drive so it just show loading screen for 1-2 seconds and pass to the bios.

I have x58 rev b2 (13 in cpu-z)

If you have Express Gate feature, then turn it on.

If you can't, try to attach another card to 1st PCI-E slot. Something like GT 210, use it as primary VGA. RX 5700 should work if you can pass into Windows. Then you can turn off second VGA in device manager and Windows will work with only one VGA.

sorry for my English

Spoiler

eLsS5_Uw9Cc.jpg

image.png.e1b53b0eff6309a61096f3a8fb8976a1.png

• 5 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:48 AM, raain said:

I have X5675 on P6TD Deluxe X58 mobo and reference Sapphire RX 5700 (flashed to 5700 XTX 50th Anniversary), had same issue, card can boot into bios, but after post it shows black screen if you try to boot something (windows, flash drive, dos, etc)

I know that is works on my i7-930 too. 

It should work on P6T Deluxe, P6T WS, P6T WS PRO, P6X58D Premium too.

Got it working just by ENABLING Express Gate, if it is disabled card will show black screen after bios post ends. I boot to windows on ADATA SX8200 nvme ssd from refind efi bootloader.

I removed all contents of Express Gate flash drive so it just show loading screen for 1-2 seconds and pass to the bios.

I have x58 rev b2 (13 in cpu-z)

If you have Express Gate feature, then turn it on.

If you can't, try to attach another card to 1st PCI-E slot. Something like GT 210, use it as primary VGA. RX 5700 should work if you can pass into Windows. Then you can turn off second VGA in device manager and Windows will work with only one VGA.

sorry for my English

Did you have any issues getting the AMD drivers to install? I have a standard P6T and can't get the drivers to install for a 5600xt. I can get it to boot into windows by enabling ExpressGate but the driver install keeps failing.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:34 AM, mm23 said:

Did you have any issues getting the AMD drivers to install? I have a standard P6T and can't get the drivers to install for a 5600xt. I can get it to boot into windows by enabling ExpressGate but the driver install keeps failing.

@mm23 Did you end up getting your 5600xt drivers to work?

Also anyone else running a 5600 / 5700 series card on P6T without issues? I'm looking at getting a 5700 or 5700 XT to install in my P6T Deluxe V2, I want to be sure it's going to work by just enabling express gate.