Max potential build for Dell Vostro 410 for budget gaming

Go to solution Solved by atxcyclist,

Having dabbled recently with a Dell Vostro 230 with a Q9500, I can say I agree with @emosun, you will be throwing good money at something that won't work out. 

Those old Core2 systems usually had PCI-E 1.1 as well, so you're going to be limiting any card with a shred of gaming capability these days, even a cheap used one. 

Something like this would put you way ahead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-H81M-C-LGA1150-Motherboard-uATX-Intel-i5-4570-3-20GHz-8GB-DDR3-RAM/254329130623?hash=item3b37328e7f:g:jY0AAOSwfD5dUi3a

Comes with RAM, Haswell i5, motherboard with an I/O shield even, and it would *probably* mount in that case as many of the Dells of that vintage were mATX.

Beyond that, sort video cards by Buy it Now and newly listed, I've scored plenty of decent, inexpensive cards that way. Maybe something like a GTX 750 Ti for $40-ish without an external power connector. There are also a bunch of HP OEM RX 460 2gb cards out there, about the same performance level as a 750Ti and I've bought one at $60 brand new.

It's not free, but having maybe $160 into a setup like that will be way better in the long run.

As the title states i have a Dell Vostro 410 which came with 350watt power supply , 4 gb ram , Q6600 Quad 2 core CPU, LGA775 Socket. I found this computer abandoned not working and extremely dusty but then i cleaned it all up and got it to work ☺, my question is Can anyone give me a list of parts to build this into a budget gaming pc (i want it to go its max potential) So by that i wanna upgrade ram if i can , power supply , cpu , graphics card , cooling system (preferably RGB fans like a double fanned noctua with rgb), hdd to ssd etc. I do wanna add a network card also so i can connect to wifi without needing ethernet cable. So if anyone can make a list for me id appreciate any help! :) or thank you for even reading my post to! 

JPEG_20190812_031633.jpg

this isnt going to cut it as a budget gaming system with a 775 q6600 and ddr2

this would just barely cut it as a standard office style pc capable of loading up facebook and youtube. the maximum ram for a system that old is going to be considered bare minimum just to load most low end games today. you 'd be far better off not buying.... but finding another free computer that was maybe 10 years old instead of 15 is my honest advice.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

this isnt going to cut it as a budget gaming system with a 775 q6600 and ddr2

this would just barely cut it as a standard office style pc capable of loading up facebook and youtube. the maximum ram for a system that old is going to be considered bare minimum just to load most low end games today. you 'd be far better off not buying.... but finding another free computer that was maybe 10 years old instead of 15 is my honest advice.

I heard it can handle 8 gb of ram. My laptop holds 4 gb of ram and its able to run high end programs like bluestacks + twitch with MyPublicWifi running in the back, I believe this pc can be turned into a budget gaming pc , I wanna know what can i buy to upgrade its insides besides getting a new motherboard or another free computer

Just now, MrJunez said:

I heard it can handle 8 gb of ram. My laptop holds 4 gb of ram and its able to run high end programs like bluestacks + twitch with MyPublicWifi running in the back, I believe this pc can be turned into a budget gaming pc , I wanna know what can i buy to upgrade its insides besides getting a new motherboard or another free computer

It would be quite irresponsible to recommend parts for this machine under the promise an impression that it could then be used daily

You can either drop a 300$ graphics card into it and have the slowest most inefficient computer ever or just use the exact same money to buy a faster machine from the same place you buy the gpu from.

Buy for under 100$ any newer platform , i think socket 1366 is almost free by now and twice the speed of the q6600.

Having dabbled recently with a Dell Vostro 230 with a Q9500, I can say I agree with @emosun, you will be throwing good money at something that won't work out. 

Those old Core2 systems usually had PCI-E 1.1 as well, so you're going to be limiting any card with a shred of gaming capability these days, even a cheap used one. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-H81M-C-LGA1150-Motherboard-uATX-Intel-i5-4570-3-20GHz-8GB-DDR3-RAM/254329130623?hash=item3b37328e7f:g:jY0AAOSwfD5dUi3a

Comes with RAM, Haswell i5, motherboard with an I/O shield even, and it would *probably* mount in that case as many of the Dells of that vintage were mATX.

Beyond that, sort video cards by Buy it Now and newly listed, I've scored plenty of decent, inexpensive cards that way. Maybe something like a GTX 750 Ti for $40-ish without an external power connector. There are also a bunch of HP OEM RX 460 2gb cards out there, about the same performance level as a 750Ti and I've bought one at $60 brand new.

It's not free, but having maybe $160 into a setup like that will be way better in the long run.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 hours ago, emosun said:

It would be quite irresponsible to recommend parts for this machine under the promise an impression that it could then be used daily

You can either drop a 300$ graphics card into it and have the slowest most inefficient computer ever or just use the exact same money to buy a faster machine from the same place you buy the gpu from.

Buy for under 100$ any newer platform , i think socket 1366 is almost free by now and twice the speed of the q6600.

3 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Im just going to switch the insides and keep the case , i need help though to see if this build is compatible to this parts list to fit that dell case 

4 hours ago, MrJunez said:

Im just going to switch the insides and keep the case , i need help though to see if this build is compatible to this parts list to fit that dell case 

From what I can see, that case looks like it has an integrated I/O shield, so it wouldn't be compatible with another board. They're not glamorous, but there are a lot of sub-$50 cases that are OK enough to build in. Also, you'll want something with better cooling than the old Dell case will offer with hardware like that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

23 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

From what I can see, that case looks like it has an integrated I/O shield, so it wouldn't be compatible with another board. They're not glamorous, but there are a lot of sub-$50 cases that are OK enough to build in. Also, you'll want something with better cooling than the old Dell case will offer with hardware like that.

I can pull the i/o shield off, as i was tearing it apart 3 days ago I saw that the shield felt like it can break free and it can And i want to make this into a sleeper also to keep the case for memorys (because my dad gave me it). And for air flow cooling im just going to keep it open like a hackntosh but in a pc case with no panels or front bezel. Please tell me if my parts are compatible. Id appreciate any help 

the rx580 isn't the most perfectly power efficient card ever so go at least 550w and give yourself a bit of wiggle room