HELP! Ryzen 5 3600 BSOD

Hi all! I just built my friend a new gaming PC with a Ryzen 5 3600. We are using an Asrock B450m pro 4 motherboard. I was worried about the compatibility, but it claims to be Ryzen gen 3 compatible.

We booted into windows (brand new install) and it worked fine for a few minutes then a BSOD, error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. With each reboot it now does this almost instantly. I booted into safe mode, but to no avail. I tried reseating the ram, sata ports and power, and flashing to the latest BIOS.

I did notice something peculiar after booting that first time, which was the temps. The first two cores were normal, around 30 and 40 degrees. However the other 4 cores were reporting about 80, 90, 20 and most strangely, -20.

We also got him a brand new SSD, which is what the crashing windows install is on. However, we booted up to his old and bloated hard drive and it didn't crash! We left it up for 30 minutes and it was fine, whereas on the other install it would crash within 5, usually almost instantly. 

Knowing this, I thought that it might be a windows update issue, because my USB install media was pretty dated. I made a fresh ISO and reinstalled but that didn't work either. 

I'm kind of at a loss here, thinking maybe I've just got a bad SSD. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Can you make a bootable USB thumb drive and boot to something like Ubuntu Linux? If so then you'll be able to do some hardware troubleshooting more easily. Was the board brand new or did it have a CPU installed before?

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Can you make a bootable USB thumb drive and boot to something like Ubuntu Linux? If so then you'll be able to do some hardware troubleshooting more easily. Was the board brand new or did it have a CPU installed before?

Board, CPU, RAM and SSD are all brand new. I'm thinking that I'm sort of past hardware troubleshooting at this point, because there was no BSOD to be found on the other windows install. Do you think that just could have been a fluke?

I suppose it could be a busted Windows install, format the SSD, reinstall Windows, see if it happens again. Usually that error is associated with unstable hardware, like a CPU that's overclocked or undervolted too much.

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I suppose it could be a busted Windows install, format the SSD, reinstall Windows, see if it happens again. Usually that error is associated with unstable hardware, like a CPU that's overclocked or undervolted too much.

Just did that, and no result. Installed Windows on the other empty HDD and it still crashed, so it's not the SSD either. Guess it's time to troubleshoot again. Do you have any thoughts about what it could be? 

My guess would be CPU volts too low, that's usually an error I see when undervolting or overclocking and the voltage is too low for the CPU speed I'm running. Is the board BIOS updated to the most recent for that CPU? What is the CPU voltage?

Also, just for laughs make a bootable USB with Linux of whatever variety you'd like and see if that'll boot up, you can also run Memtest from the bootable stick to test out the memory to make sure there's no issues there.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

My guess would be CPU volts too low, that's usually an error I see when undervolting or overclocking and the voltage is too low for the CPU speed I'm running. Is the board BIOS updated to the most recent for that CPU? What is the CPU voltage?

Also, just for laughs make a bootable USB with Linux of whatever variety you'd like and see if that'll boot up, you can also run Memtest from the bootable stick to test out the memory to make sure there's no issues there.

Not at the computer in question anymore, I'll be going to back to keep troubleshooting tomorrow. But I think the voltage said around 1.3, which if anything seemed high to me. But based on the faulty temperature readings that the board is spitting out, maybe that could be wrong as well? I will try a bootable Linux USB as well to see what happens.

Well, same goes to me today

Ryzen 5 3600 + Asrock B450M Pro4

6 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Not at the computer in question anymore, I'll be going to back to keep troubleshooting tomorrow. But I think the voltage said around 1.3, which if anything seemed high to me. But based on the faulty temperature readings that the board is spitting out, maybe that could be wrong as well? I will try a bootable Linux USB as well to see what happens.

Once you get Linux booted (assuming it boots) google how to install/check the hardware readings with 'sensors' or install the GUI 'psensor' tool. You can load the CPU with prime95 from commandline which is very easy with a simple copy/paste of some commands found online at the GIMPS website.

Well after some more testing this evening, re-seating absolutely everything, trying a different GPU, raising the Vcore slightly, nothing is working. And notably, though it took a while, it did eventually BSOD on the more stable windows install. So I truly have no idea what the problem could be.

BIOS is updated to latest? Did you back the memory down to a lower speed like 2133 or something safe?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

BIOS is updated to latest? Did you back the memory down to a lower speed like 2133 or something safe?

Yep, first thing I did was flash to the latest BIOS. I didn't think of lowering the memory speed. It's only at 3200 so not super high, and I did try it with each stick removed so I'm not sure if it's a memory issue, but that's definitely something to try.

I have similar issue, random bsod within 30min after startup, sometimes rive mins, sometimes 2x mins

Exclude win update 1903(which I didn't test yet), I've narrow down it's either/both/both together of avg anti virus and "radeon setting" 

Even u use custom setting in and all in one and deselected the "software" there is still a "radeon setting" in app which u have to remove it

I remove avg and that pieces and no bosd for an hour.

Hope it helps and appreciate if u can take up from there and update me it further finding

And btw just manual update the known PCI by manual update drive from the unzip all in one

Same mobo, same cpu, same problem. Plus, mine had readings all over the place for a year now, but I used to be able to offset the voltage and be semi-happy. 1.5 stock 2400g isn't quite what you want, eh? :D Can't now or it gets unstable. 

Also if I touch memory settings other than load xmp, it refuses to boot. 

My hunch is the .1 agesa version. I'm refreshing their BIOS update setting like a madman. It probably isn't even worth troubleshooting at the moment. 

i want to blame asrock's late and old bios release

i have the x370 fatality gaming x from asrock works fine with my 2600x

but after installing my 3800x random whea uncorrectable error

some people say they found a temp fix (they also all have asrock boards)

but from redit...

"There now exits a temporary solution to this issue. In the bios lower the FCLK to 1600 or lower. While this will affect latency, it can allow you to run 3200 or higher ram speeds. It also has been reported to help with WHEA errors associated with the infinity fabric"

havnt tested it my self as im afraid to turn on my machine till my gigabite x570 gets here im not willing to wait for an asrock fix 2 months knowing my luck

i just noticed that PBO was set to auto ,  i turned it to off, and im going to jinx my self but no issues yet tbc......

also i noticed in my asrock x370 fatality gaming x bios , under overclocking PBO was set to auto, i turned it off, and everything is working now so far

WHEA is platform-wide (there's a reddit thread about anything that's connected to PCIe being problematic, no matter 3.0 or 4.0). I was about to build a 2nd pc and offload the spare parts to buy an MSI mobo... but they're in even worse of a situation at the moment.

Teething problems, heh.

i was out for a week and it works great now, i just went into the bios and turned off PBO , cause it was set to auto and it works perfect

ram is at 3000 speed and everything

i had 3 days  no bsod til yesterday messed up my nvme windows drive corrupting it.... so i ordered the x570 gigabyte wifi. i wanted the 200 dollar board but newegg sold out so the 269 will have to do me AT LEAST ITS GOT LED'S!!!

I am on the same boat. Asrock X370 gaming x, GTX 1070, samsung nvme produce the same error. Forced to switch back to 1700x from 3800X. Will the clean re-install work ?

On 7/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, Apap said:

I have similar issue, random bsod within 30min after startup, sometimes rive mins, sometimes 2x mins

Exclude win update 1903(which I didn't test yet), I've narrow down it's either/both/both together of avg anti virus and "radeon setting" 

Even u use custom setting in and all in one and deselected the "software" there is still a "radeon setting" in app which u have to remove it

I remove avg and that pieces and no bosd for an hour.

Hope it helps and appreciate if u can take up from there and update me it further finding

On 7/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, Bitter said:

Oh does safe mode make any difference?

On 7/14/2019 at 1:38 AM, Howaboua said:

Same mobo, same cpu, same problem. Plus, mine had readings all over the place for a year now, but I used to be able to offset the voltage and be semi-happy. 1.5 stock 2400g isn't quite what you want, eh? :D Can't now or it gets unstable. 

Also if I touch memory settings other than load xmp, it refuses to boot. 

My hunch is the .1 agesa version. I'm refreshing their BIOS update setting like a madman. It probably isn't even worth troubleshooting at the moment. 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, thefatman said:

i just noticed that PBO was set to auto ,  i turned it to off, and im going to jinx my self but no issues yet tbc......

On 7/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, stinkylamb said:

I am on the same boat. Asrock X370 gaming x, GTX 1070, samsung nvme produce the same error. Forced to switch back to 1700x from 3800X. Will the clean re-install work ?

Hi friends, sorry been out of the country for the last week. Somebody on reddit linked me to this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ryzen-3000-bsod-error-fix,39847.html

I'm running a 1050ti, is everyone else on an Nvidia GPU? I'm going to try and mess with XMP and some other things the next time I get a chance, but I think this is probably the issue and we'll just have to wait.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, thefatman said:

i was out for a week and it works great now, i just went into the bios and turned off PBO , cause it was set to auto and it works perfect

ram is at 3000 speed and everything

I'll also try this if I can find a PBO setting. Interesting...

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2019 at 4:13 AM, Spork829 said:

Hi

Did you find a solution ? I have the same problem and no more ideas how to fix this.

My graphics card the same 1050Ti

Hi friends, sorry been out of the country for the last week. Somebody on reddit linked me to this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-ryzen-3000-bsod-error-fix,39847.html

I'm running a 1050ti, is everyone else on an Nvidia GPU? I'm going to try and mess with XMP and some other things the next time I get a chance, but I think this is probably the issue and we'll just have to wait.

I'll also try this if I can find a PBO setting. Interesting...