Two routers setup??

ehazard

Hello everyone

(UK) I am trying to make a setup in my home to have two separate routers with their own SSID and for them not to be able to see each other's devices/files/printers. My Pre-filtered master socket will have the HG633 by talktalk and a standard phone line socket will have the DSL-3680 also by talktalk. I need to connect these two somehow, I was thinking an ethernet cable connecting the two from their LANs would work? I'm not sure.

Any help appreciated,

@ehazard

The easiest way to do this would be to use three routers, in a setup like this:

Phone line -> (input into RJ-11 WAN port) Modem - DSL-3680 (output to RJ-45 LAN Port #1) -> Ethernet Cable -> (input into RJ-45 WAN port) Router #1 *note: I'm unfamiliar with the DSL-3680, but if it's a combo modem/router with more than one LAN port (typically 4 LAN ports), you can skip Router #1*

Router #1 (output to LAN Port #1) -> Ethernet Cable -> (input into RJ-45 WAN port) Router #2

Router #1 (output to LAN Port #2) -> Ethernet Cable -> (input into RJ-45 WAN port) Router #3

What this does, is has two routers, both accepting your Internet connection into their WAN ports, which creates isolated networks for each end router (#2 and #3).

Note: Make sure each Router (#1, 2, and 3) use different subnets (an example of a subnet is 192.168.0.x (x being the IP range of the subnet - .1 to .254, typically .1 being the router itself) for each router.

For example:

Router #1: 192.168.0.1

Router #2: 192.168.1.1

Router #3: 192.168.2.1

Make sure to keep NAT and the Firewall enabled on all routers, and it should keep traffic separate.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Its worth bearing in mind this is a horrible setup though and many services like gaming are likely to be fairly broken.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its worth bearing in mind this is a horrible setup though and many services like gaming are likely to be fairly broken.

Agreed - you'd have to do some mad port forwarding to get things working, and even then, it may end up simply being too complicated to keep track of and keep working correctly.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, ehazard said:

Hello everyone

(UK) I am trying to make a setup in my home to have two separate routers with their own SSID and for them not to be able to see each other's devices/files/printers. My Pre-filtered master socket will have the HG633 by talktalk and a standard phone line socket will have the DSL-3680 also by talktalk. I need to connect these two somehow, I was thinking an ethernet cable connecting the two from their LANs would work? I'm not sure.

Any help appreciated,

@ehazard

Wait a second - the HG633 is a VDSL modem. The DSL-3680 is an ADSL modem.

Why are you using 2 modems?