Opinions on Huawei Matebook D 14"

Hey guys,

as the title says I am curious in your opinions on the Huawei Matebook D 14" with the Ryzen 5 2500U CPU and Vega 8 graphics. It would fit my needs exactly as I think and I could get it for 500 € which would be roughly 560 $. Would that be a good deal or do you think there's better options for the same price?

If you have suggestions please consider the following criteria which I require from a laptop:

1. Keyboard backlight: I want to use it in the dark so kb backlight is important.
  2. 1920 x 1080 resolution screen: Mostly for full HD streaming.
  3. 8 GB of RAM: It needs to handle 10-15 Tabs in [insert browser] simultaneously.
  4. The smallest possible formfactor: This is going to be my on the go device so as light and small as 14" can be. It needs to get work done (office etc.) and have a fluent overall feeling. No really heavy workloads but if it can game a slight bit I won't be mad.

Thanks

iC®

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

It's a decent model, just be aware of the non-upgradeable RAM and Huawei recent troubles

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

16 hours ago, intelCore said:

Hey guys,

as the title says I am curious in your opinions on the Huawei Matebook D 14" with the Ryzen 5 2500U CPU and Vega 8 graphics. It would fit my needs exactly as I think and I could get it for 500 € which would be roughly 560 $. Would that be a good deal or do you think there's better options for the same price?

If you have suggestions please consider the following criteria which I require from a laptop:

1. Keyboard backlight: I want to use it in the dark so kb backlight is important.
  2. 1920 x 1080 resolution screen: Mostly for full HD streaming.
  3. 8 GB of RAM: It needs to handle 10-15 Tabs in [insert browser] simultaneously.
  4. The smallest possible formfactor: This is going to be my on the go device so as light and small as 14" can be. It needs to get work done (office etc.) and have a fluent overall feeling. No really heavy workloads but if it can game a slight bit I won't be mad.

Thanks

iC®

With the bands been thrown around I don't think it's safe to buy a huawei product right now. With $560 you can get better laptops. There are many AMD ryzen 5 3000 cpu laptops out there and still rolling out for around this price so you should check them out. You should check out the lenovo felx lineup.

16 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It's a decent model, just be aware of the non-upgradeable RAM and Huawei recent troubles

Thank you. The non-upgradeable RAM is really the only downside I see with this thing and I am not quite sure if that really is excuseable. On the other hand for that price and formfactor I don't know.

As for the problems with Huawei I hope that the only problem that could occur would be that just like with all the phone parts they are not allowed to put e.g. Windows on their future machines. If you buy a product in the shelfs now they better keep their licences.

4 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

With the bands been thrown around I don't think it's safe to buy a huawei product right now. With $560 you can get better laptops. There are many AMD ryzen 5 3000 cpu laptops out there and still rolling out for around this price so you should check them out. You should check out the lenovo felx lineup.

Thanks I'm going to have a look into the Flex lineup from Lenovo.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

4 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

With the bands been thrown around I don't think it's safe to buy a huawei product right now. 

That's all fake news (normal for American media). Huawei products are perfectly safe to buy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

On 6/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, r2724r16 said:

That's all fake news (normal for American media). Huawei products are perfectly safe to buy.

I am not talking about how safe they are we are taling on they bans been placed on huawei there are probabilities these will affect even products they have released

2 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

I am not talking about how safe they are we are taling on they bans been placed on huawei there are probabilities these will affect even products they have released

What sorta effects you think it could have on existing products?

10 minutes ago, intelCore said:

What sorta effects you think it could have on existing products?

Lack of availability, inflated pricing, inferior specs, perhaps it could be illegal to obtain new products.

9 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Lack of availability, inflated pricing, inferior specs, perhaps it could be illegal to obtain new products.

None of this would affect the products on the shelves and still in stock right now though.

46 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

inferior specs

Not sure where you got this from.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

Not sure where you got this from.

The fact that Intel, AMD, etc are no longer aloud to supply them parts...

12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The fact that Intel, AMD, etc are no longer aloud to supply them parts...

Intel and AMD don't even supply Huawei with parts. They don't make processors for mobile phones.

52 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Intel and AMD don't even supply Huawei with parts. They don't make processors for mobile phones.

They have more than phones, they have laptops and networking infrastructure. The topic here itself is about one of their laptops.

The main concern for the US government was "China spying on us using Huawei's networking gear". I have no opinion on the matter myself.

9 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

They have more than phones, they have laptops and networking infrastructure. The topic here itself is about one of their laptops.

The main concern for the US government was "China spying on us using Huawei's networking gear". I have no opinion on the matter myself.

Thanks for clarifying what the topic is about.

My take on this is basically that if you don't want to get spied on don't use electronics with an internet connection so I am not any more concerned about China spying than any other company/country/entity.