X570 motherboards means a new PSU!

Spent last day or so after Lisa Su's keynote address looking at newly posted specs of X570 motherboards on AMD board partners website. Has anyone else noticed that all X570 boards seem to require either: 1) an 8 pin and four pin CPU 12 volt connector; or 2) two 8 pin 12 volt CPU connectors? My existing 750 watt PSU has only one 4+4 8 pin 12 volt CPU connector. Looks like I need a new PSU with twin 12 volt eps rails. Spent an hour on NewEgg looking for so equipped PSUs.  Found only a literal handful of them.  I predict a supply crunch on twin 12 volt eps rails PSUs after everybody buys their shiny new X570 only to find they can't install it after all because of their now obsolete single eps rail PSU!

12 minutes ago, Reid Morgan said:

Spent last day or so after Lisa Su's keynote address looking at newly posted specs of X570 motherboards on AMD board partners website. Has anyone else noticed that all X570 boards seem to require either: 1) an 8 pin and four pin CPU 12 volt connector; or 2) two 8 pin 12 volt CPU connectors? My existing 750 watt PSU has only one 4+4 8 pin 12 volt CPU connector. Looks like I need a new PSU with twin 12 volt eps rails. Spent an hour on NewEgg looking for so equipped PSUs.  Found only a literal handful of them.  I predict a supply crunch on twin 12 volt eps rails PSUs after everybody buys their shiny new X570 only to find they can't install it after all because of their now obsolete single eps rail PSU!

Those aren't required, just optional for extreme OC. You only need the 8 pin for normal use. My b450 board has 8+4 CPU power

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

So I am okay with my existing 8 pin-only CPU connector, 750 watt PSU? In that case, thanks, because it sure looked to me like I had to budget for another $70 or so in addition to an X570 mobo and a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

7 minutes ago, Reid Morgan said:

So I am okay with my existing 8 pin-only CPU connector, 750 watt PSU? In that case, thanks, because it sure looked to me like I had to budget for another $70 or so in addition to an X570 mobo and a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

So long as the PSU is of reasonably good quality, it should be no issue. An 8-pin EPS connector can easily handle an AM4-based system that isn't being extreme OCed (sub-ambient).

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

My X470 Crosshair VII has an 8 pin and 4 pin and my PSU also has both but I don't bother with it.. The 8 pin provides more than enough juice for even the new 12 core coming out..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

10 hours ago, Reid Morgan said:

A single 8-pin 12v cable on a good PSU(tier b or above on PSU list) can handle around 300 watts of power. According to buildzoid, who is pretty smart when it comes to overclocking.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

• 1 month later...

So, If I pair a cooler master mwe 750w gold certified psu with a Gigabyte aorus x570 master would that work ? 

I am thinking of a ryzen 3900x build

• 3 weeks later...

on the x570 platform, both eps headers ARE required to be hooked up to power to ensure the system bus and pci-e controller is powered properly.

not doing so is a source of WHEA errors which are otherwise rectified by the 1.0.0.3AB agesa update.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:49 AM, shahriarabid said:

So, If I pair a cooler master mwe 750w gold certified psu with a Gigabyte aorus x570 master would that work ? 

This motherboard, and the Pro both have prior history of WHEA errors when only the first EPS is connected.

They don't all come with 16 pin power connectors. The elite only has a 8 pin power connector.

• 5 weeks later...

My power supply has two 4 pin connections and my motherboard has an 8 and a 4. 

Do you think I can hook up a 4 to the 8 and a 4 to a 4 for 8 total pins?

IMG-8601.JPG

IMG-8600.JPG

IMG-8598.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:37 PM, joer80 said:

My power supply has two 4 pin connections and my motherboard has an 8 and a 4. 

Do you think I can hook up a 4 to the 8 and a 4 to a 4 for 8 total pins?

IMG-8601.JPG

IMG-8600.JPG

IMG-8598.jpg

I'm reviving a dead post. Did you ever get an answer to this?

Just built a rig using the same mobo and same psu cable situation. It appears to be running stable, but I want to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 6:02 PM, P2Pirate said:

Bump, especially for the last post 

The 8 pin by itself runs just fine, it clearly says in the manual 8 pin power OR 8 + 4 pin power. Like others have said the 4 gives you extra wattage if you are doing extreme overclocking, you would need liquid nitrogen to cool something outputting 300+ watts on the cpu. I have a 3700x and x570 asus tuf gaming wifi, has ran fine for 9 months. Dont sweat it, plug ur psu into the 8 and call it good

On 4/3/2020 at 5:49 PM, Zzz1337 said:

I'm reviving a dead post. Did you ever get an answer to this?

Just built a rig using the same mobo and same psu cable situation. It appears to be running stable, but I want to be sure.

I had the same issue, ryzen 7 3700x with a ASUS ROG Strix x570-e i NEEDED to have the 8+4 to have my PC post, needed to buy a new psu since my 6 year old one didn't have the connections.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:06 PM, lightslayer81 said:

I had the same issue, ryzen 7 3700x with a ASUS ROG Strix x570-e i NEEDED to have the 8+4 to have my PC post, needed to buy a new psu since my 6 year old one didn't have the connections.

I have an Asus ROG Strix 570-E as well with a Ryzen 9 3900X that worked for a while with only the 8 pin connector and then decided to start throwing the error: please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card. I swapped video cards and got the same thing. Swapped power supply, RAM and then the mobo to an MSI MPG Gaming Pro Carbon and still the same thing. I had read that the extra 4 pin connector was for extreme overclocking but this appears not to be the case and mileage may vary among different CPU/Board/PSU combos. I had just put in for a return for my CPU at this point but today I read that others are needing to use the extra 4 pin connector to even POST so hopefully that will fix it for me as well and i can cancel the cpu swap and go back to the Asus board. I just ordered a new COMeap 4+4 pin connector for my Corsair CX650M from Amzn in the hopes that this will finally fix it without having to return yet another part and get a new PSU that comes with a 8+4 connector. 

Just posting here in case it will help others...I will update in a few days with the results.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:11 PM, rfjohnso_ltt said:

I have an Asus ROG Strix 570-E as well with a Ryzen 9 3900X that worked for a while with only the 8 pin connector and then decided to start throwing the error: please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card. I swapped video cards and got the same thing. Swapped power supply, RAM and then the mobo to an MSI MPG Gaming Pro Carbon and still the same thing. I had read that the extra 4 pin connector was for extreme overclocking but this appears not to be the case and mileage may vary among different CPU/Board/PSU combos. I had just put in for a return for my CPU at this point but today I read that others are needing to use the extra 4 pin connector to even POST so hopefully that will fix it for me as well and i can cancel the cpu swap and go back to the Asus board. I just ordered a new COMeap 4+4 pin connector for my Corsair CX650M from Amzn in the hopes that this will finally fix it without having to return yet another part and get a new PSU that comes with a 8+4 connector. 

Just posting here in case it will help others...I will update in a few days with the results.

Did you ever end up getting everything to work? 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:11 PM, rfjohnso_ltt said:

Did this solve your issue?