Is a US-based VPN good?

newcbomb
Go to solution Solved by CookieSmasherGus,

If you're in the US and connect to a VPN server in the US you still get all the privacy benefits of a VPN (encrypted data and your real IP hidden) plus better speed connectivity to nearby servers.

It's a bit different when the VPN company is based in the US or other 14 eyes country because there's the off chance that those companies give a helping hand in government surveillance or whatever. I mean look at the Snowden situation, Facebook saving passwords in plain text, Cambridge Analytica, Google, Amazon - all US stuff. But really all of these might just be paranoid delusions because AFAIK both PIA and Nord haven't given out logs to anyone and have been audited so they seem legit. I personally use Nord and I'm satisfied with their service.

I'm going VPN shopping and I am wondering if it's ok to use a US-based VPN for the sole purpose of privacy and anonymity. I am not planning on doing anything illegal or p2p but I would prefer a US server in Ohio or Virginia to still get a good ping in games. 

As far as the VPN itself, im leaning towards Nord or PIA. If anyone has a suggestion on a <$10 Monthly VPN that would be great. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

Just now, Alexsolo said:

The closer the VPN site is to you, the better connection you'll have to it.

Yeah, I know that. I was asking from a Privacy standpoint. Is it ok to have my endpoint be US based? 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Even if you're not gonna do illegal stuff, I can always recommend Nord. I assume you've done your research so I won't beat a dead horse.

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

Think of a VPN as a vaccine for the flu. Without the vaccine you're likely to get the flu. With the vaccine your chances do down drastically, but there's still a chance to catch the flu. 

A VPN is similar, in which it does offer anonimity and encryption of data. But sometimes you can be identified through other means than just your IP and sometimes the VPN can bug out an reveal your actual IP. 

Look at #6 in this article on Nord VPN's website. https://nordvpn.com/blog/myths-about-vpn/

Im not sure that you get my question. I'm asking if there is a benefit to using a US endpoint rather than, say, a Singapore Endpoint for Privacy. 

Specs:

3 minutes ago, newcbomb said:

Im not sure that you get my question. I'm asking if there is a benefit to using a US endpoint rather than, say, a Singapore Endpoint for Privacy. 

What do you mean by endpoint in this case? If you mean the server(s) you'll connect to using the VPN, it shouldn't matter much which VPN you go with as if they both own a data center in the same area, it should likely be similar speed wise. Or do you mean if you connect to a US one will they log your data, and not log it in Singapore (as an example)? In that case, it really depends on the VPN parent company itself. I know Nord has a strict "don't give a fuck who's knocking" policy.

If you're in the US and connect to a VPN server in the US you still get all the privacy benefits of a VPN (encrypted data and your real IP hidden) plus better speed connectivity to nearby servers.

It's a bit different when the VPN company is based in the US or other 14 eyes country because there's the off chance that those companies give a helping hand in government surveillance or whatever. I mean look at the Snowden situation, Facebook saving passwords in plain text, Cambridge Analytica, Google, Amazon - all US stuff. But really all of these might just be paranoid delusions because AFAIK both PIA and Nord haven't given out logs to anyone and have been audited so they seem legit. I personally use Nord and I'm satisfied with their service.

7 hours ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I signed up for PIA since it was $3/month cheaper so ill see how it goes. 

Specs:

I would advise ProtonVPN if you are that worried about privacy.

You even have a free option (though it's very limited).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

8 hours ago, newcbomb said:

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I signed up for PIA since it was $3/month cheaper so ill see how it goes. 

If we are talking strictly privacy? No, there is no benefit to having a US based server. However, there's also little downside (I say little, instead of zero, because the US Government can force your VPN provider to give up server logs and other information, under certain very niche and very specific circumstances).

In general, however, having a US based server (I assume you are a US resident) has other, non privacy related benefits - primarily speed and latency benefits.

On the flip side, don't get a VPN server based in Russia or China or any other country that will straight up just take your data from the company if they feel like it.

In your specific circumstances, having a US based server most likely outweighs any negligible downsides.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)